Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman View Post
Keep it inside and you'll keep your ice longer.
Not concerned with it keeping the ice. I'm just curious if it needs a certain ambient temp to function properly.

2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #22

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
Not concerned with it keeping the ice. I'm just curious if it needs a certain ambient temp to function properly.

That's the biggest issue I had. It's not an ice freezer...just an ice maker. It works good for on demand ice and you can transfer ice to the freezer soon as it's done, but it will melt or get really wet if you let it sit in the bin. The ice seemed to come out really wet and would freeze in huge "clumps" when put in freezer. I would imaging this effect would be exaggerated if used outdoors when it's warmer than inside. That's the drama I was referring to in my earlier post.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandG View Post
It cranks out ice pretty quickly & we really like the convenience of having of it, can even use it at our sticks & bricks home for bigger parties.
Ours came in handy at home when the fridge's ice maker decided it didn't want to work.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:14 PM   #24

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
We bought some ice cube trays that are covered. Don’t have to worry about spillage. Sometimes we freeze coffee in them for iced coffee. We removed the built in ice maker to store more food items.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:54 PM   #26

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12154
Counter top ice makers

I use my counter top ice maker all the time it never gets put away! I drink ice water all day long so I have to have a lot of ice. I was sick of pulling into a site and remembering we didn't buy ice, so I bought an igloo ice maker at Wal-Mart. I put the ice in gallon freezer ziploc bags and always have ice in the freezer.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:37 PM   #27

THOR #3593
I used the same model as popfl above until we got our new RV with ice maker. It worked great. I would make ice one day amd put it in the freezer them put it under the sink for two days until we ran out. I still use it daily in my classroom and it cranks out a lot of ice every day.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:53 PM   #28

Model: Thor ACE
State: Washington
THOR #12459
phkennedy

We have a portable counter top Igloo icemaker. It produces the first cup of ice
in about 15 minutes from when it is plugged in and continues so about every 15 minutes. You just pour about a quart of water in it and it will continue until the water is gone and then it will notify you. Any ice in it when you finish for the day will melt back into the water supply for the next day. I believe we paid either $69 or $89 for it on sale. No problems with it so far about a year.
Pat k
Old 04-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #29

State: North Carolina
THOR #5951
Quote:
Does anyone use one of the counter-top portable ice makers? What brand? What do you think of it?
Get one, it's worth it, but comparison shop for the best price. They are not expensive. It can also be handy on the deck or patio at the house. Convenient, not expensive, very handy, I've used my "Igloo" in the RV and around various entertainment areas of the house for about sixteen years. It serves my purpose, as a portable, inexpensive and convenient source of ice.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #30

Model: 31S
State: Virginia
THOR #7613
Quote:
Does anyone use one of the counter-top portable ice makers? What brand? What do you think of it?
We use one, especially at the beach. We got ours at Walmart. We run it for a while, empty the ice into a large Ziploc bag and keep it.in the freezer since the ice maker doesn't keep it cold. Has saved us a lot of $$$! We used the ice for drinks and for the cooler we use on the beach. We like it! We set ours up on the cocktail table between the driver and passenger seats.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:51 AM   #31

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #13712
Used one in our 5th wheel and it was great and saved a bunch of money. We used a Majic Chef, and still have another one new in the box for sale.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #32

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Oklahoma
THOR #14968
As one Navy vet to another, get one. But others said shop around for the best price. We use ours everyday due to frig ice maker doesn't keep up.

My dear wife makes me iced tea to drink almost daily, plus I drink lots of iced water daily. Now that I am retired, I do not have the free ice I had at the office for all of the iced water or tea I drink daily. So the frig makes ice for the tea maker she uses and I use the other for my iced drinks. I rarely run low on ice needs now.

When we travel, the portable one goes with us. It can be plugged inside or out since it continues to make ice as long as it has water to make ice with. If you don't empty the ice holding basket, the ice just melts and the machine makes more, whether inside or out.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:55 PM   #33

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
Ice Makers

We have a portable ice maker we received from using our credit card "rewards" points to purchase. We have only used it a few times because it requires nearly constant attention and took away from our "doing' nothing'" time. We freeze 1/2 gallon cartons that orange juice, limeade, milk etc come in and use those for our ice chest (beer, water, soda). The ice maker is okay but I don't think I will buy another one.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:56 AM   #34

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
"We freeze 1/2 gallon cartons that orange juice, limeade, milk etc come in and use those for our ice chest (beer, water, soda)."

Neat trick for sure! Our MH has an ice maker so we don't need a portable. It throws ice pretty quick. For all day excursions or for the boat cooler, we fill Solo Cups and freeze them overnight. A little water run over the outside lets the block slide right out and the "blocks" will last all day. Many times, I've removed the partially melted chunks and put them in zip-locks for reuse the next day.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #35

THOR #5951
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy stone View Post
Get one, it's worth it, but comparison shop for the best price. They are not expensive. It can also be handy on the deck or patio at the house. Convenient, not expensive, very handy, I've used my "Igloo" in the RV and around various entertainment areas of the house for about sixteen years. It serves my purpose, as a portable, inexpensive and convenient source of ice.
I hope the bottom line message I posted earlier to your succinct question regarding the kind, use, and convenience of a portable ice maker will be helpful. Again try one, I think you will find it convenient and useful. After all it is a counter top ice maker and is designed for such. The controls will provide you with how to operate it, when to refill, add water etc. to have continuous ice making. It is not designed to make ice for refrigeration purposes.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #36

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
We are usually RV’ing with friends and the portable ice maker is very convenient. Even though have an ice maker in our residential fridge, it doesn’t put out enough ice, fast enough. The ice bin usually isn’t “nicely filled” until the morning we are leaving.

We are a family of 5, plus a dog. So our freezer is usually packed with food. So no room to store additional bags of ice.

Our favorite place for the ice maker? 3” to the left of our mini-fridge in the outdoor kitchen. That ice goes mostly into cups for drinks. So I couldn’t care less if it’s wet or not. If you don’t get to the tray after four or five dumps, it stops making cubes because the pile has broken an eye beam sensor. If you don’t get to it for a while (to either knock the pile down to get more or to get some out)—no big deal. Yeah, they melt....right back into the water tray to make more. Not sure where there’s a fuss about it.

Mine spits out 12 cubes every 8 minutes. Having it outdoors keeps the kids from going in/out of our RV wasting the a/c and letting bugs inside. (Why is hard to understand that one should keep a door closed when in a park???) It’s also hella-convenient to get ice when your sitting outside. I also don’t mind throwing that spare ice into a soft cooler if we head to the beach. 8 minutes later there will be more.