Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Fish and Dear's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
Posts: 289
THOR #11266
Portable Ice maker

Does anyone use one of the counter-top portable ice makers? What brand? What do you think of it?
__________________

__________________
Jeff and Melissa - Roodie and Jaxson
US Navy Vet - Good Sam Life Member 804274173
2019 Hurricane 29M
2016 Honda HR-V toad
Fish and Dear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Georgia
Posts: 3,096
THOR #11130
I tried one a few years ago at the FL house. Can't remember the brand but...better than nothing but lots of drama keeping water in it and the space it takes up wasn't worth it for me.
__________________

__________________
2018 THOR Chateau 35SF
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Popfla's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Florida
Posts: 129
THOR #14543
We have this one in the RV. It pumps out a lot of ice very quickly, and we only have to add water roughly every three hours of operation. As the bin fills up, we put the ice in ziplock bags and put them in the freezer. But we didn't pay anywhere near CW's price as shown; we got ours at BJ's on sale for $69.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ice maker.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	16757  
__________________
Ed
2019 Thor Freedom Elite 30FE
Living The Dream in "God's Waiting Room"
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 1,109
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
Does anyone use one of the counter-top portable ice makers? What brand? What do you think of it?
I am on my second Ivation 35 lb portable ice maker. The first one failed after 15 years of use. It sits under the dinette when traveling and against the bathroom wall on the floor when the slide is out. My coach had a full time sine wave inverter (Xantrex Freedom XI 1,800) so it is always on. The only time we run low on ice is when we are entertaining.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 327
THOR #11781
We've been using them for years in our motorhomes, no particular brand. Our only complaint is they quit working every three or four years. I guess they're not designed for going up and down the road. But they cost less than a hundred dollars and are available at practically every big box store.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
Posts: 571
THOR #2020
We had one. Used it twice and sold it. Took up too much space. Easier to buy a bag of ice.
__________________
pstandiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Popfla's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Florida
Posts: 129
THOR #14543
Ours is 9.5" wide, 14.1" front to back, and 12.9" High. Its size has not been a problem for us through two motorhomes, a 26' and a 30'. It sits next to the coffee pot and there's still plenty of open counter space.
__________________
Ed
2019 Thor Freedom Elite 30FE
Living The Dream in "God's Waiting Room"
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 1,109
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
We had one. Used it twice and sold it. Took up too much space. Easier to buy a bag of ice.
We just spent 5 days at Fort Griffin State Historical Park (full hookups for $24 a night); home of the state Longhorn herd. The closest ice was in Albany, TX 15 miles away.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:04 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Fish and Dear's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
Posts: 289
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
We just spent 5 days at Fort Griffin State Historical Park (full hookups for $24 a night); home of the state Longhorn herd. The closest ice was in Albany, TX 15 miles away.
Wow. I was sort of thinking I can just take a pre-chilled Yeti along and get ice at the campground. But I ain't walking 15 miles for ice!! LOL

Then I thought how often I have been boondocking or not towing a car for an ice run. This might be a good thing for a maragrita on the rocks in the hot summer sun.
__________________
Jeff and Melissa - Roodie and Jaxson
US Navy Vet - Good Sam Life Member 804274173
2019 Hurricane 29M
2016 Honda HR-V toad
Fish and Dear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:47 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
Posts: 207
THOR #12270
I was thinking of getting one, but since I also want to retrofit a larger fridge in the 31E, I'll most likely get a fridge with a ice maker in it. Or perhaps a residential fridge. I'd like to get one that has the ice/water in the door (not sure if that exists on a RV fridge unit.) There's water going to the shower under the fridge I can tap into for it.
__________________
Diemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:25 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 1,109
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
I was thinking of getting one, but since I also want to retrofit a larger fridge in the 31E, I'll most likely get a fridge with a ice maker in it. Or perhaps a residential fridge. I'd like to get one that has the ice/water in the door (not sure if that exists on a RV fridge unit.) There's water going to the shower under the fridge I can tap into for it.
You might check on the amperage draw for a residential frig with an ice maker and auto defrost. Most of the bigger diesel come with 18 cuft residential. With 450 ah of battery bank, they can usually go for 10 hours before the auto start kicks in the generator.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:27 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 327
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
We just spent 5 days at Fort Griffin State Historical Park (full hookups for $24 a night); home of the state Longhorn herd. The closest ice was in Albany, TX 15 miles away.
Have you been to Caprock Canyon SP? The bison roam almost everywhere.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:00 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 1,109
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Have you been to Caprock Canyon SP? The bison roam almost everywhere.
No, but spent 8 days Custer State Park, SD among the 1,300+ bison in the park as well as the "beggin burros". I have yet to see a American Bison bull scratch his ass with horn tip like a long horn steer can. Once you cross the cattle guard on the road to the Fort Griffin visitors center, you are in one of the five longhorn pastures. At the campground, it is nice to look out the windshield in the morning and the the yearling longhorns grazing about 60 feet away. A really nice. quiet place with an interesting history.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:42 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Calman's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 224
THOR #11380
Bought a Frigidaire 26 LB icemaker on sale at Lowes at end of last year's camping season for $60.00. Didn't get to use it on the road but a home it was okay but have to empty ice bucket when full and transfer ice to my freezer. Otherwise the ice will eventually return to a liquid state. This is because it does not have a "freezer function".

Could not find anything in the literature but assume the "26 LB" is a 24 hour total ice production.

Will be using it on the road this summer.

NOTE: Must be plugged into 15 AMP 110--15 VOLT 60 HZ GROUNDED OUTLET.
__________________
Cal Bridgers
YNCM USN-Retired (64-90)
RVN (Tet 68)
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
Posts: 468
THOR #4656
I have two of them. One at home and one on the rv. Brand name makes no difference, all from same factory in China. At home the kitchen refer has a through the door ice dispenser, but we still use the portable every day for happy hour.

I use the space in the overhead bunk. Two coffee makers and the ice maker.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180514_114543.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	16785

Stowed for travel.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180514_114644.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	16786
__________________
Making a smooth transition to senility for over 70 years

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Fish and Dear's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
Posts: 289
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
I have two of them. One at home and one on the rv. Brand name makes no difference, all from same factory in China. At home the kitchen refer has a through the door ice dispenser, but we still use the portable every day for happy hour.

I use the space in the overhead bunk. Two coffee makers and the ice maker.
Attachment 16785

Stowed for travel.
Attachment 16786
Good use of the space. Thanks for those pics!!
__________________
Jeff and Melissa - Roodie and Jaxson
US Navy Vet - Good Sam Life Member 804274173
2019 Hurricane 29M
2016 Honda HR-V toad
Fish and Dear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:49 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Fish and Dear's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
Posts: 289
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I tried one a few years ago at the FL house. Can't remember the brand but...better than nothing but lots of drama keeping water in it and the space it takes up wasn't worth it for me.
Are they useable outside during summer, or do they need to be inside the RV?
__________________
Jeff and Melissa - Roodie and Jaxson
US Navy Vet - Good Sam Life Member 804274173
2019 Hurricane 29M
2016 Honda HR-V toad
Fish and Dear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:33 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
State: Florida
Posts: 148
THOR #6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
Does anyone use one of the counter-top portable ice makers? What brand? What do you think of it?


Love it got it at Home Depot. 100$
__________________
Mattie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:29 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Calman's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 224
THOR #11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
Are they useable outside during summer, or do they need to be inside the RV?
Keep it inside and you'll keep your ice longer.
__________________
Cal Bridgers
YNCM USN-Retired (64-90)
RVN (Tet 68)
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:08 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
BandG's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 167
THOR #10254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman View Post
Bought a Frigidaire 26 LB icemaker on sale at Lowes at end of last year's camping season for $60.00. Didn't get to use it on the road but a home it was okay but have to empty ice bucket when full and transfer ice to my freezer. Otherwise the ice will eventually return to a liquid state. This is because it does not have a "freezer function".

Could not find anything in the literature but assume the "26 LB" is a 24 hour total ice production.

Will be using it on the road this summer.

NOTE: Must be plugged into 15 AMP 110--15 VOLT 60 HZ GROUNDED OUTLET.
I got the same one last year...Frigidaire. We've used it several times & we love it.

I got tired of dropping $4-$5 a bag for ice or finding out that the camp store had already closed for the day.

It cranks out ice pretty quickly & we really like the convenience of having of it, can even use it at our sticks & bricks home for bigger parties.
__________________

__________________
Bryce, Gracia & Shadow (2 yr old mini-Daschund mix)
US Army vet- 82nd Airborne Div
BandG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2