Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2017, 03:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #6634
Room for 4 adults

I guess I got a little ahead of myself when I made the decision to buy my 2017 ACE 29.4. My intention was to buy something that would sleep four adults and when I noticed the 46 x 74 drop down bunk I thought I had found the perfect vehicle. My cousin and his wife have traveled often with us in our little Navion with a similar dimension overhead bed. What I'm afraid I didn't count on, though, was the weight limitations of the bed. The sticker says 250 pounds maximum capacity, and while I'm not brave enough to ask my cousin's wife her weight, I estimate that the two of them together would likely top 300 by a few ounces.
I don't believe the jack-knife sofa or the dinette bed, both at 60 inches, would be long enough for adults.
My question, I guess, is two-fold. First, has anyone ever slept four adults in a similar unit? And if so, what method did you come up with?
Second, does 250 pounds really mean 250 pounds, or do companies sometimes shave a few pounds from the max capacity notice just to "make sure"? Alternatively, is there any way to bolster the structure of the overhead bunk to allow it to support an extra 50 pounds or so?
I've considered simply pulling the mattresses off the overhead structure and using them to make "cowboy pallets" on the floor. Still, the idea of stepping over sleeping people like we used to do in college seems like a disappointing option at this phase of life.
Has anyone ever found a creative solution to such a problem? and if so, can I steal from you before my first big trip in late March.
Thanks,
Hugh Chapman
2017 Navion 29.4
950 miles.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
I can't speak to your ACE 29.4, but my Hurricane 35M overhead bunk has a sticker indicating a maximum combined weight of 500 pounds.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The weight limit on the ACE is 250, on the Windsport and Hurricane it's 500, different designs. I'm pretty sure Thor gives the weight ratings a very safe margin so I'm thinking 300 would be ok. You could cut a couple of 2x4s to go from the floor to the bottom of the bunk for bracing if you're really concerned. Store them on the mattress when traveling.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #4

Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
My 20 yr old son will sleep on the bunk alone. Occasionally, we have had an adult sleep on our sofa. They either have to curl slightly or lay diagonally.

Caution for the sofa bed. When in bed position, there is not a lot of support for the front edge and if "plopped down on" or continue sitting on the front edge, the rear bolts may come loose.

As for the 250 limit. I am right there +/- any given day. I have not laid up there but have climbed up to reach the forward "useless" storage bins. It may hold, but I would probably sleep with one eye open. The side braces are what holds it up. Not sure how securely supported they are.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Have cousin buy a small TT and tow it behind. Problem solved.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Are Thor bed sizes on specs that far off? They list the Ace 29.4's jackknife and dinette at 70 and 68 inches.

Regarding a mattress on floor, that doesn't sound that bad to me.

Assuming there is enough floor space to relocate the mattress to floor (and it doesn't look like it on floorplan), I'd find it more comfortable than having to climb on the overhead bunk. Headroom is so limited that you can't sit up, making moving around tougher than if on floor, particularly when two are up there.

If they split up, one can take the overhead bunk and the other the couch or floor. There are some comfortable narrow air mattresses that should fit between sofa and dinette.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Colorado
THOR #6613
Our bed over the cab is rated at 500 pounds. I would be terrified to sleep up there with my husband even though we are under the weight. IMO, that is a one person bed. I have slept on the jack knife sofas without a problem- but I am short! Only 61 inches.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:15 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
Over Bunk

You could very easily arrange a front edge brace combined with a ladder to support the extra weight. We added privacy curtains and reading lights to our 29.2.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:32 AM   #9

State: California
THOR #7060
We could put one adult in our overhead cab due to weight limit as well, pulled the jacknife couch to sleep another adult and child and another adult on the dinette, my husband and I in our back queen bed, comfortably 6 people, worked great and everyone was comfortable

Tags
beds, sleeping