Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2018, 10:37 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #12091
RV Driving Critique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Can you imagine if no one ever passed on the right on a three lane highway? It would be a horror show. How many people trudge along in the center lane? How many get on the highway and for no reason whats so ever go for the middle.

Its basic SAFE driving if your doing the speed limit. Versus crossing two lanes or tailgating while the right lane is wide open.

Who suggested to never pass on the right? Not me. Like I said before... If the left and middle lanes are moving slower then the speed limit or flow of traffic in the right lane, then by all means
passing on the right is warranted. It happens all the time. In the case I’m stating the left and middle lanes were moving at or above the 65 mph limit. I wasn’t poking along below the speed limit in the middle lane. I chose to drive at the speed limit, maybe a little over the limit in the middle lane that I knew would soon become the right lane in a couple miles. This same 3 lanes to 2 lanes and back to 3 lanes happens a lot on this section of highway. Instead of constantly making lane changes and merging it just makes it easier to drive in more of a straight line. If I was towing or driving slower than the flow of traffic then I’d just move over to the right. As you similarly stated before... as long as you’re driving the speed limit or less then it’s perfectly fine to pass on the right if you’re in that lane anyway. That is not what this scenario was. The passing me on the right at 70+ MPH just got my attention initially. Then since the Motorhome was in front of me and in view I was able to observe the driving for the next several miles. I might drive like that in a car but not in a 30’+ Motorhome. It worked out for them this time and fortunately there wasn’t an accident an nobody was hurt. I guess this post hits too familiar to some and hits close to home. Shame on me for bring this up in this forum.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:17 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
I always drive 5mph over posted speed.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:18 PM   #43

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
No, Dilleyx2, I think most of us see your point.

This might be a great subject matter for someone new to RVing (or stupid).

Perhaps you (and the Thor Forum collective) gave someone a Eureka moment .... "yeah, he's right, I driver this new RV too fast, I change lanes way to often" etc. Dont let a select few rub you wrong. If this guy just pasted you on the right but stayed in his lane and was NOT tailgating that you wouldnt have even posted this tread.

Hang in there. Me, Bob and Griz (and a few others of the collective) have your back.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:25 PM   #44

THOR #12091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
No, Dilleyx2, I think most of us see your point.

This might be a great subject matter for someone new to RVing (or stupid).

Perhaps you (and the Thor Forum collective) gave someone a Eureka moment .... "yeah, he's right, I driver this new RV too fast, I change lanes way to often" etc. Dont let a select few rub you wrong. If this guy just pasted you on the right but stayed in his lane and was NOT tailgating that you wouldnt have even posted this tread.

Hang in there. Me, Bob and Griz (and a few others of the collective) have your back.

Ha Ha! Note to self... On Thor Forums and other such Social Media never broach controversial topics like politics, religion, driving or camping etiquette, etc. Oh the humanity!
Old 09-11-2018, 11:45 PM   #45

THOR #12231
Yep, hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

And as the wise man "Super D" said "the mother of stupid is always pregnant!!!"
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 09-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #46

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I have enjoyed the various view points on this thread and can see both points of view. I generally drive in the right lane. However, in populated areas where there are a lot of interchanges I will drive in the center lane. I only drive in the left lane for passing. I generally feel if I get passed on the right than I should not be in the middle lane and I move over. I vary the lane according to traffic.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #47

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
I have enjoyed the various view points on this thread and can see both points of view. I generally drive in the right lane. However, in populated areas where there are a lot of interchanges I will drive in the center lane. I only drive in the left lane for passing. I generally feel if I get passed on the right than I should not be in the middle lane and I move over. I vary the lane according to traffic.
Exactly.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:17 PM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I tend to try and stay in the center lane: the right lane usually has folks merging into the roadway, or trying to slow down to exit...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #49

THOR #12091
It seems to me that there may be different interpretations on what is referred to or understood to be the middle or center lane. Maybe we could start a discussion/debate on northbound, westbound, southbound, eastbound. On second thought[emoji848] Naaaaah!
Old 09-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #50

Model: vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #12326
Hmmmmmm.... The speedy driver ahead with both hands on the wheel and eyes on the road or this guy behind him hell bent on taking a picture of his reckless driving??? Not sure which is more reckless but I do know that eyes come off the road, thoughts no longer are about the safety of others around because now, at this point, you have to insert your password or thumb print to open the phone, look to push the camera button, then dial the shot in to get a great shot that you did. Furthermore, it's not a dashcam shot because its a vertical pic. From this view of your lane position, either you took it yourself while driving or someone was sitting on your lap.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1536792593
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	guy driving taking a pic.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	12759  
Old 09-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #51

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Dilley- At this point you have 50 replies to your post, don't take all as critical. It stirred up interest and maybe some defensive comments from some not so defensive drivers.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:25 PM   #52

THOR #12091
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBaby!!! View Post
Hmmmmmm.... The speedy driver ahead with both hands on the wheel and eyes on the road or this guy behind him hell bent on taking a picture of his reckless driving??? Not sure which is more reckless but I do know that eyes come off the road, thoughts no longer are about the safety of others around because now, at this point, you have to insert your password or thumb print to open the phone, look to push the camera button, then dial the shot in to get a great shot that you did. Furthermore, it's not a dashcam shot because its a vertical pic. From this view of your lane position, either you took it yourself while driving or someone was sitting on your lap.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1536792593

Ya I’ll admit that I took the photo with my iPhone while driving. Guilty as charged! Probably should have had my wife take the shot. Didn’t take much more effort than reaching down to adjust the radio dial, look at the side view, rear view camera, find and turn on or off one of the many buttons located on the dash. I guess I shouldn’t hoist a bottle of water up to my mouth while driving either. I’m not proud that I felt the need to take a photo while driving but the effort was minimal.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:28 PM   #53
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley-Dilley View Post
Ya I’ll admit that I took the photo with my iPhone while driving. Guilty as charged! Probably should have had my wife take the shot. Didn’t take much more effort than reaching down to adjust the radio dial, look at the side view, rear view camera, find and turn on or off one of the many buttons located on the dash. I guess I shouldn’t hoist a bottle of water up to my mouth while driving either. I’m not proud that I felt the need to take a photo while driving but the effort was minimal.
Time to pick up a dashcam.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:35 PM   #54

THOR #12091
I have a nice dash mount for my iPhone that I’ve used to roll hands free video before. It was there but I didn’t use it in this case. Doesn’t take much talent or effort to snap off a photo like that through that big windshield. It’s not necessary to take your eyes off the road.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:36 AM   #55

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
No offense taken.

Be safe.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:51 AM   #56

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Reminded me of a visit to Germany ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
If the right lane was open why were you hanging out in the middle lane? Keep right except to pass.

....cut...
When I visited Germany a long time ago, that’s how they made driving a lot safer at just about any speed. The small van that picked us up at airport put it to the test by driving over 100 MPH. The driver later told me that not moving to right was a serious infraction that could cause the driver their license.

Obviously we have speed limits in US, but if we really want to be as safe as possible, we have to accept that many drivers will drive above the speed limit. It may be wrong and illegal, but it’s a fact we can’t control. And any time we block these drivers in any way, we increase the probability of being in an accident. I try my best (within reason) to not block other drivers regardless of how fast they want to go. For my own safety, and that of others, I essentially stay right except to pass.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:51 AM   #57

State: Arizona
THOR #11375
Wow...some people have way too much time on their hands! LOL
Old 09-13-2018, 05:42 AM   #58

THOR #12091
RV Driving Critique

True story on the driving in Europe. Many of those countries also have speed limits. It’s pretty simple on many of the highways because they are two lane. Left lane for passing and if you’re not passing you drive in the right lane. They also have speed guns with cameras on the freeway and just mail the fine to ya. In Italy the drivers like to say that the posted speed limits are “just a suggestion.” 🤣
I guess what I find interesting about this discussion is how quickly it got off the rails and suddenly a Motorhome driver who not only made a decision to pass another Motorhome on the right while speeding, also followed other traffic too closely for the speed he was traveling, made numerous other unnecessary lane changes to the left and right to travel 15 -20 miles and be no further down the road then the people he was trying so hard to overtake. All that unsafe driving and there are those that will justify and excuse such driving. WTF? Maybe I called out somebodies friend but, Excuse me, I’ll be damned if I’m going to warm up to the theory that I should excuse and defer to an aggressive driver like this. It’s clear to me that there is no sense discussing this in a forum like this. If you’re from So. Cali. then you know the freeways here aren’t your basic 2 lane interstate with a 70 mph limit and offramps/onramps every few miles. Oh how I long for the simplicity of driving on two lane highways.
Tfryman asks... “If the right lane was open why were you hanging out in the middle lane? Keep right except to pass.”
My answer to that is... I was definitely not hanging out in the middle lane and on a three lane highway like the one we were driving on there is no need to move over to the right lane if you are traveling at or above the speed limit like I was. A few miles up that right lane merges into that middle lane when the highway goes back to two lanes. The dude in the other Motorhome was driving like he felt entitled to every lane. He certainly had no aversion to using every available lane to get where he was going. Oh, I’m sorry, that’s right! The rest of us should just get the “F” out of the way!
Old 09-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #59

State: Alaska
THOR #6879
Well I'll be in the middle lane if there is multiple entrances to the highway so the traffic can merge. I really don't see anything wrong in this multi lane highway. Plus multi lane highways I have been passed on both sides and see no problem with it. Only thing we need to worry about when driving is Keeping Our Rig Safe!
Old 09-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #60
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'll tuck in behind you!
(Leaving a safe following distance: of course!)

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1536839714
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AR-711029763.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	12773  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote