Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #12091
RV Driving Critique

Yesterday while driving 65 mph in the #2 lane (middle of three lanes) on northbound California Highway #101 (Ventura Freeway). I was passed on the right by a late model Tuscany Motorhome.
NEWS FLASH! THAT WAS VERY UNSAFE AMATEUR MOVE!
There are few if any good reasons for passing on the right. In the scenario yesterday there were at least three reasons not to make a pass of another vehicle on the right...

1. The Motorhome you are passing is traveling at the posted maximum speed.
2. There is a lane on the left that is open to pass vehicles in.
3. You’re driving a Motorhome not a car.

I watched this person drive their Motorhome for several mike (Rincon to Goleta) as if it were a car not a 30’+ Motorhome. This person was driving over the speed limit, making numerous lane changes, tailgating other vehicles. All this unsafe driving and risk taking for what? Several miles after we were passed on the right by this person they were not any closer to their destination then we were as you can see in the attached photo taken in Santa Barbara...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5777.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	12726

PLEASE DRIVE SAFELY!

Old 09-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I guess that since I'm so fallible: I'm willing to forgive others for their moments of "non-cognitive consciousness"...
Let is all slide: you'll sleep better at night.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
If the right lane was open why were you hanging out in the middle lane? Keep right except to pass.

If I'm in the right lane toodling along and I come up on a vehicle in the middle lane going slower than me I am not going to make a double lane change to the left lane to pass them. I'll pass them on the right and not give a second thought about it. The right lane is where they should have been in the first place. Doesn't matter if it's a 4 wheeler, a MH or an 18 wheeler.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:31 PM   #4

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
If the right lane was open why were you hanging out in the middle lane? Keep right except to pass.

If I'm in the right lane toodling along and I come up on a vehicle in the middle lane going slower than me I am not going to make a double lane change to the left lane to pass them. I'll pass them on the right and not give a second thought about it. The right lane is where they should have been in the first place. Doesn't matter if it's a 4 wheeler, a MH or an 18 wheeler.
If your doing the speed limit it is ok to pass on the right. Much better than crossing over two lanes. No doubt.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:32 PM   #5

THOR #12091
RV Driving Critique

I sleep really well regardless. If posting something like this stops one person from driving unsafe then it’s worth taking the time to call it out.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:42 PM   #6

THOR #12091
RV Driving Critique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
If your doing the speed limit it is ok to pass on the right. Much better than crossing over two lanes. No doubt.

I guess I’ll have to agree to disagree with you on that one. If someone is driving the speed limit (especially the maximum speed limit) then there is no safe or legal justification for passing that vehicle, especially on the right. Also, if a pass is safe and in order and there is a choice to pass on the left then that is the best option. When it comes to Motorhomes drivers should use even more caution.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:47 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley-Dilley View Post
I sleep really well regardless. We f posting something like this stoppa one person from driving unsafe then it’s worth taking the time to call it out.
Fair enough: it might keep someone else from blindly doing the same thing...
Old 09-10-2018, 10:47 PM   #8

THOR #12830
Quote:
I guess the lol have to agree to disagree with you on that one. If someone is driving the speed limit (especially the maximum speed limit) then there is no safe or legal justification for passing that vehicle, especially on the right. Also, if a pass is safe and in order and there is a choice to pass on the left then that is the best option. When it comes to Motorhomes drivers should use even more caution.
To each their own. Safer to pass on the right IF its safe to do so.

you can legally pass a car in the center lane on the left or the right. Here are a couple things to consider as you decide:

▪ where a driver expects to be passed,

▪ increased risk with each lane change.

As drivers, we expect faster traffic to pass us on the left, so if you were directly behind the car, I’d recommend passing on the left. However, if you’re in the right lane, passing on the left would require two lane changes to pass, and two more lane changes to get back to the right lane. Each lane change is an additional opportunity for two cars to try to occupy the same space. Rather than tell you what to do, I’ll recommend choosing the route that you think will be safest given the circumstances as you plan to pass.

Read more here: https://www.bellinghamherald.com/new...#storylink=cpy
Old 09-10-2018, 10:50 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
He's in California: I'm not sure if California's highway laws about this sort of thing are identical to those in Washington...
Old 09-10-2018, 10:54 PM   #10

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
He's in California: I'm not sure if California's highway laws about this sort of thing are identical to those in Washington...
California rulebook excerpt:

Pass traffic on the left. You may pass on the right only when:

An open highway is clearly marked for two or more lanes of travel in your direction.

The problem in California is they always are on the left.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:54 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
In all our miles over 4 years and 85,000 miles across this country, the great North, and even Alaska... I've not really 'cared' where or when someone passes me. I drive the speed limit, or less. If the right lane is open, it's just as good as the left, for passing.

I find that if you drive the left lane, speeding vehicles will be aggravated

...if you drive the center lane, speeding vehicles will be aggravated

...if you drive the right lane, speeding vehicles will be aggravated

I just drive and don't worry about it.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:55 PM   #12

THOR #12091
VEHICLE CODE - VEH
DIVISION 11. RULES OF THE ROAD [21000 - 23336] ( Division 11 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
CHAPTER 3. Driving, Overtaking, and Passing [21650 - 21760] ( Chapter 3 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

ARTICLE 3. Overtaking and Passing [21750 - 21760] ( Article 3 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

21750. (a) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left at a safe distance without interfering with the safe operation of the overtaken vehicle, subject to the limitations and exceptions set forth in this article.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:55 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Vehicle speed relative to the "Speed Limit" has no bearing on:

1 - Slower Traffic Keep Right
2 - Keep Right Except To Pass

If everybody followed those 2 simple rules there would be no passing on the right.

Nothing's worse than somebody who thinks they are going the speed limit hanging out in the left lane when in reality they are going 66 mph, and thinking they have the right to block the traffic behind them that wants to go faster.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:57 PM   #14

THOR #12091
Quote:
California rulebook excerpt:

Pass traffic on the left. You may pass on the right only when:

An open highway is clearly marked for two or more lanes of travel in your direction.

The problem in California is they always are on the left.

Oh Good One! Yuk Yuk!
Old 09-10-2018, 11:00 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
VEHICLE CODE - VEH
DIVISION 11. RULES OF THE ROAD [21000 - 23336] ( Division 11 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
CHAPTER 3. Driving, Overtaking, and Passing [21650 - 21760] ( Chapter 3 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

ARTICLE 3. Overtaking and Passing [21750 - 21760] ( Article 3 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

21750. (a) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left at a safe distance without interfering with the safe operation of the overtaken vehicle, subject to the limitations and exceptions set forth in this article.
Post the rest of the code. Or did you stop reading when you found what you wanted?

Quote:
(a) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left at a safe distance without interfering with the safe operation of the overtaken vehicle, subject to the limitations and exceptions set forth in this article.
(b) This section shall become operative on September 16, 2014.
(Repealed (in Sec. 1) and added by Stats. 2013, Ch. 331, Sec. 2. (AB 1371) Effective January 1, 2014. Section operative September 16, 2014, by its own provisions.)

21751. On a two-lane highway, no vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the center of the roadway in overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless the left side is clearly visible and free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit such overtaking and passing to be completely made without interfering with the safe operation of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction.
(Amended by Stats. 1973, Ch. 50.)

21752. No vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the roadway under the following conditions:
(a) When approaching or upon the crest of a grade or a curve in the highway where the driver’s view is obstructed within such distance as to create a hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction.
(b) When the view is obstructed upon approaching within 100 feet of any bridge, viaduct, or tunnel.
(c) When approaching within 100 feet of or when traversing any railroad grade crossing.
(d) When approaching within 100 feet of or when traversing any intersection.
This section shall not apply upon a one-way roadway.
(Amended by Stats. 2000, Ch. 596, Sec. 7. Effective January 1, 2001.)

21753. Except when passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall safely move to the right-hand side of the highway in favor of the overtaking vehicle after an audible signal or a momentary flash of headlights by the overtaking vehicle, and shall not increase the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle. This section does not require the driver of an overtaken vehicle to drive on the shoulder of the highway in order to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass.
(Amended by Stats. 1999, Ch. 724, Sec. 40. Effective January 1, 2000.)

21754. The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn.
(b) Upon a highway within a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in the direction of travel.
(c) Upon any highway outside of a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and clearly marked for two or more lines of moving traffic in the direction of travel.
(d) Upon a one-way street.
(e) Upon a highway divided into two roadways where traffic is restricted to one direction upon each of such roadways.
The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a slow moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as practicable to the right hand edge of the roadway.
(Amended by Stats. 2010, Ch. 491, Sec. 39. (SB 1318) Effective January 1, 2011.)
Old 09-10-2018, 11:00 PM   #16

THOR #12091
RV Driving Critique

Quote:
To each their own. Safer to pass on the right IF its safe to do so.

you can legally pass a car in the center lane on the left or the right. Here are a couple things to consider as you decide:

[emoji830] where a driver expects to be passed,

[emoji830] increased risk with each lane change.

As drivers, we expect faster traffic to pass us on the left, so if you were directly behind the car, I’d recommend passing on the left. However, if you’re in the right lane, passing on the left would require two lane changes to pass, and two more lane changes to get back to the right lane. Each lane change is an additional opportunity for two cars to try to occupy the same space. Rather than tell you what to do, I’ll recommend choosing the route that you think will be safest given the circumstances as you plan to pass.

Read more here: https://www.bellinghamherald.com/new...#storylink=cpy

So if all vehicles are traveling at the posted maximum legal limit then you shouldn’t need to pass at all. In that case you follow behind the vehicle in front of you at a safe distance.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #17

THOR #12091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Post the rest of the code. Or did you stop reading when you found what you wanted?

Didn’t need to post the rest because it didn’t apply. We were driving on the freeway and had 3 lanes not 2. If it would have been a 2 lane section I would drive in the right lane unless I was overtaking and passing a slower vehicle. Then I would pass on the left and return to the right lane when safe. I don’t know what is so foreign about this. It’s basic driving.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:10 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Didn’t need to post the rest because it didn’t apply. We were driving on the freeway and had 3 lanes not 2. If it would have been a 2 lane section I would drive in the right lane unless I was overtaking and passing a slower vehicle. Then I would pass on the left and return to the right lane when safe. I don’t know what is so foreign about this. It’s basic driving.
Quote:
(c) Upon any highway outside of a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and clearly marked for two or more lines of moving traffic in the direction of travel.
How did this not apply on a 3 lane highway?

It doesn't matter if you THINK you are going the speed limit. Others want to travel faster than you. Move to the right! "I don’t know what is so foreign about this. It’s basic driving."
Old 09-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #19

THOR #12091
RV Driving Critique

I guess I touched a nerve here. My experience with, and critique of the other Motorhome Driver I witnessed yesterday is based on more than just the passing me on the right at 70+ MPH. I was able to observe his tailgating of others, numerous lane changes and even driving too fast in a construction zone. It was all unsafe and unnecessary in my opinion. I’m not perfect either and I have driven faster than 65 MPH when there was room to do so. The thing that touched a nerve with me is that the sections of highway that this happened on bottleneck from 3 lanes to 2 lanes on numerous occasions, there is traffic congestion and there are sections that are under construction with a lower suggested speed limit. All of the aggressive driving ended up leading to no quicker arrival at his destination then if he had just driven a little more cautiously. Sorry if I’ve offended any of you. Safe Travels.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:50 PM   #20

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
you've not offended us, it's just that these type of topics are like politics - everyone has their 'side'... and it can get heated! Those who constantly speed and feel like it's their 'right' to will never concede. Those who constantly stay around or under the speed limit will always have the former 'at their bumper'... it's not going to end simply because we don't like it.
If the authorities don't fight it, stop it, or pull over these 'types' of drivers, the only thing I know to do is drive the way that suits my style best - conservative, slower than most everyone else, and I let those in a 'hurry' pass me. Which 'passing' side may have some concern for some, but ultimately I don't think there is any more inherent danger in one side or the other.

travel, enjoy.... and when you pass the Tuscany who is now pulled over by the police, just smile.