Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happily Retired View Post
Other than our phones and iPad, which are with us when we leave the campground, we really don't carry much worth stealing. A bigger concern for us, and one of the reasons we like having a toad, is someone breaking in and having our dogs escape. Much prefer leaving them in the RV at the campground than a store parking lot!!

We have recently bought a portable satellite. Haven't had an opportunity to use it yet. Just curious if any of you have had problems leaving a satellite out in campgrounds. Since it finds satellites automatically, really wouldn't be too much trouble to bring inside at night or when away from the coach, if necessary.
I am hanging my Satellite at the top of my ladder. then remove the ladder. It will still be locked to my ladder mount. Nobody can walk in front of it now.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Almost two years ago I posted about crime at Quartzite and how my friends entire motorhome was stripped, (appliances, genny, TVs, and all valuables), while they left to sightsee for the day.

The overall responses to my post focused not on what happened, but denial that it could or did happen. Many replied about "it never happened to me", so it's not true. And, my favorite, "it's so safe there everybody watches out for everybody else"!

That last statement is completely false. Only people that you personally know and trust are watching out for your best interest, (and watching your property).

I have personally witnessed at State beach campgrounds, and private RVParks as "stuff", (portable generators, chairs, coolers, stoves, bicycles), taken in broad daylight, as neighbors clearly see it, and nobody does absolutely anything, (I ended up reporting it to the ranger, and/or called the local police).

While the RVIA, Goodsam, and FMCA, and other always promote RVing as a friendly group of like minded folks, my experience over the past 25 years RVing has been more like the comedy movie RV. When I owned a PopUp, red-vested Good Sam members at the KOA in Chula Vista, CA actually set up chairs to watch me setup and laugh as I tripped or dropped anything. They never offered to help, and actually clapped when I cranked up the roof!

I have mentioned that I have seen neighbors look the other way as crime has occurred, and I constantly see dog owners not pick up after their pooch in RVParks.

Folks, if your concerned about security in an RV....... Well, unless you are in it at the time, just forget about it! If a thief wants in, all it takes is a screwdriver to get into a million dollar Prevost motorhome. Or, they can realistically tow the whole thing away.

And, don't rely on your neighbors or the RVPark to watch out for your stuff, (unless you personally know them).
Old 12-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #23
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Although they can be pricey there are RV security systems on the market that provide alerts to you cell phone in the event of an intrusion. One such system is:

The RV Security System. Cellular Video Security on the Road or in Storage.

I can see where these type systems would be beneficial to full timers or folks that park the RV at a campground on a seasonal or long term basis. Also for those that place their RV in a relatively unsecure (no 24 hour security) storage facility for the winter.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #24
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow that is expensive. I'd bet a simple DIY system with a camera, Raspberry Pi, and a cellular modem would work good enough. In addition, a DIY system may not look "nice" enough to steal! LOL

Lets see:
  • Raspberry pi: $35 (They now sell one for $10!)
  • Camera board: $30
  • Cellular modem board: ~$30
Hmm $95 beats their price by a lot! Still would have to pay for cellular service, and this setup would be a bit of a power draw and thus would work at campgrounds (and storage lots with 120V access).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #25

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #2954
Has anyone replaced their storage locks. I noticed that the tangs are kind of short so it wouldn't take much prying to pop open a storage compartment. That and the CH751 issue makes new storage locks seem like an obvious first step. I also found it quite easy to think you locked the storage but in fact the tang pivoted between the weather stripping and the door frame instead of behind the door frame.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:14 AM   #26

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #3016
If my motorhome was broken into, I think my homeowner's insurance would cover the contents. Damage to the rig would be covered by its insurance.

Has anyone considered installing a kill switch on the ignition, so that it couldn't be hot-wired and driven away? And are Lojacks an option for motorhomes?
Old 12-10-2015, 12:40 AM   #27

State: Texas
THOR #1599
RV Security

Presence: Free smart home motion detector webcam for security, surveillance, and energy by People Power Company
https://appsto.re/us/d9W3K.i
I've been using this with an iPod set up when I leave. I use it to keep an eye on the girls ( dog and cat). Works real good. Usually have a good wifi signal with my jetpack........it records anytime it senses motion, and emails you the clip. I can use my phone as a remote to look in on the camera live anytime I want .
San Antonio, Tx
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:13 AM   #28
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post
If my motorhome was broken into, I think my homeowner's insurance would cover the contents. Damage to the rig would be covered by its insurance.

Has anyone considered installing a kill switch on the ignition, so that it couldn't be hot-wired and driven away? And are Lojacks an option for motorhomes?
The consensus in some articles I've read is that although LoJack can be installed on an RV, OnStar is better in practicality and national coverage. I guess OnStar has been working with RV manufacturers for a couple of years.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:58 PM   #29

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
If you listened to their podcast, the issue was that someone had cloned their remote car lock. The best solution for those Class B's that use these is to NEVER even carry or use the remote. I realize that it would be an inconvenience. Just use the physical key. Us Class A folks have been doing it for years without any problems (tongue in cheek).
Old 12-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #30

THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlfamily View Post
Presence: Free smart home motion detector webcam for security, surveillance, and energy by People Power Company
I've been using this with an iPod set up when I leave. I use it to keep an eye on the girls ( dog and cat). Works real good. Usually have a good wifi signal with my jetpack........it records anytime it senses motion, and emails you the clip. I can use my phone as a remote to look in on the camera live anytime I want .
Doesn't this solution require connectivity (WiFi or cell data connection)?
Old 12-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #31

THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmi View Post
Has anyone replaced their storage locks. I noticed that the tangs are kind of short so it wouldn't take much prying to pop open a storage compartment. That and the CH751 issue makes new storage locks seem like an obvious first step. I also found it quite easy to think you locked the storage but in fact the tang pivoted between the weather stripping and the door frame instead of behind the door frame.
jacksmi, I have replaced my CH751 locks with cylinder locks. It is an easy $100 fix that took about 30 mins to replace all 10 of my locks. Check in the forum for where to buy them and warnings about making sure they are all keyed similarly AND that the keys are removable.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #32

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
Simplisafe

You might want to consider this. It's called "Simplisafe Security System".
Home Security Systems from SimpliSafe

Design your own inexpensive package. As low as $.50/day. You DIY installation is easy, then you call them to set it up to call you and not the police.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #33

Model: A.C.E 29.3
THOR #2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
jacksmi, I have replaced my CH751 locks with cylinder locks. It is an easy $100 fix that took about 30 mins to replace all 10 of my locks. Check in the forum for where to buy them and warnings about making sure they are all keyed similarly AND that the keys are removable.
I will be doing this soonest. Thanks for the heads up on specifying non-retaining. Sounds like a "gotcha" that is easy to overlook.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:46 AM   #34

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
When I was looking, RV Locks and More had better prices than most other places for a CH751 lock replacement... Not sure if they're still the lowest cost.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:58 AM   #35

THOR #2271
Here is what I got.High Security Tubular Locks
Old 12-11-2015, 04:43 PM   #36

THOR #937
Quote:

That is sooo cool! I have an old IPod touch that will get a new life this weekend!
Old 12-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #37

State: Texas
THOR #1599
I travel a lot for my job, and also leave it hid in my suitcase in the hotel.
San Antonio, Tx
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #38

Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
The number one think you can do to secure your RV is change the locks. You would be surprised at how many other RV's out there use the same keys as you do. In my opinion, the best solution is to spend a little money on a locksmith and have your cylinders rekeyed (replaced) so that your keys are unique to your coach.
2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #39

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #16645
Question What will fit ?

Quote:
I have a safe I use at home, just so happens it fits perfect in a certain spot in the Hurricane. It is fairly heavy, and is a fireproof safe also.....that was my real intent, as we go semi full time sometime next year....I was concerned about personal documents protection. Also, I'm thinking if you get robbed in a RV park, even if there are not that many other campers there, I suspect it would be more of a grab and go........highly unlikely they would lug a 80lbs safe out of the MH.
Looking for suggestion on size... do you think the 52" L X 14" deep or the 48" wide 28" deep (underbed style safe) - We will be purchasing a Miramar and going full time next year - just trying to get some advance purchases for the RV, while we are downsizing everything else. thanks
Old 09-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #40

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #11784
Don't forget to deadbolt when the sun goes down

We were at Colt Creek State Park in Florida and about 10:30 Sunday night, I had gone to sleep and my wife was up watching some TV. All of sudden my wife sees a face through the opaque window in the door. It goes away for a second, then it reappears only this time the person started rattling the door to get in. My wife goes running into the bedroom to get me and I stealthily go to the living room and start peeking out the kitchen window and see nothing. After about 10 or 15 minutes we start getting back to normal and I am able to go back to bed. After asking neighbors if they saw anything the conversation turned to a 30ish or 40ish looking man who was EXTREMELY friendly and wanted to go fishing with everybody and be everybody's best friend. The neighbor said the man was overly friendly with his young teenage daughters and almost started a fist fight. Turns out the man was on crack and was bothering tons of people. He was in a 20-25 foot white passport travel trailer with a dagger over the door. Somebody had towed him (probably to get rid of him) to the park and he was just camping there in the state park doing drugs. The FWC Officer (the ones that carry the guns and are full fledged law officers) came and took a report. Apparently some people will go to state parks and think, hey I'm camping in the woods so laws don't really apply here. I'm always deadbolting my door when the sun goes down!