Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2019, 10:39 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Georgia
Posts: 3,658
THOR #11130
Anybody flying a drone over campers deserves to loose it. Maybe wait till the drone lines up with his skull and kill "two birds with one stone"...or fishing lead.


ABMS...if you do get a drone, make sure you keep the software updated and do all the prechecks at the precise location you start your flight. If your model has auto-return...you don't want it flying to the previous campsite.
__________________

__________________
2018 THOR Chateau 35SF
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 498
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Anybody flying a drone over campers deserves to loose it. Maybe wait till the drone lines up with his skull and kill "two birds with one stone"...or fishing lead.


ABMS...if you do get a drone, make sure you keep the software updated and do all the prechecks at the precise location you start your flight. If your model has auto-return...you don't want it flying to the previous campsite.
Definitely yes to the second part and LMAO at the first.
__________________

The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:51 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 1,454
THOR #6411
I was in the office at Misty Mountain RVR, VA when a camper came into the office as ask if he could fly his drone over the rally field after dark. The desk clerk it was alright until some one complained. Just before dark I moved the lawn chair so I could see the rally field. The drone appeared above a cluster of trees just at dark and look like the space ship from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" complete with the rotating LED display. It completed hovering and darting movements at various altitudes, finally landing in the middle of the field. By that time there were about 50 people with me on the road watching the field. The drone took off and flew back to the launch van and with a battery change, it was back again broadcasting the theme song from CIOTTK while following the same profile. I found out later he was a professional drone operator responsible for realty videos of property for sale in the area. The drone he was flying was his "hobby drone" that he had built himself and he was available for at night for light shows - for a fee.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:53 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 11,170
THOR #8860
Sonny-Boy was into that paintball stuff...
I just got to pay for all of it!
Yeah... The new rig is performing beyond our expectations!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:56 PM   #25
Member
 
jbwilli1's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
Posts: 52
THOR #14323
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I'd love to have one, but figure most places we go I couldn't fly much anyway...state parks and such.

And I'd be hesitant to fly over more populated touristy places we'd go to (towns like St Augustine just as an example) just out of courtesy to others (and fear that the more folks fly them the stricter regulations will become). Also I guess I'm a little concerned about flying someplace posted as a no-drone zone but I mistakenly didn't see the sign...

I'm a private pilot but haven't flown much in a long time....getting that view from above with a drone would likely never get old to me.

The air space is not controlled by parks, etc. unless there's some restrictions, different classes of airspace, proximity to airports. So if you're next door that has a sign, no drones allowed, you can't take off from there, but you can fly over. Best to get up higher where folks can't see or hear much, if anything. Just remember to stay under 400 ft, unless the ceiling is lower & if it is you should find another place.
__________________
jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 498
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Sonny-Boy was into that paintball stuff...
I just got to pay for all of it!
Yeah... The new rig is performing beyond our expectations!
But are you performing beyond??? LOL. JK. Good!
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:04 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
The_Breeze's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 498
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post
The air space is not controlled by parks, etc. unless there's some restrictions, different classes of airspace, proximity to airports. So if you're next door that has a sign, no drones allowed, you can't take off from there, but you can fly over. Best to get up higher where folks can't see or hear much, if anything. Just remember to stay under 400 ft, unless the ceiling is lower & if it is you should find another place.
This is correct. I fly RC planes. The ceiling is 400ft. You also must have your stuff badged with no less than a FAA number. Most responsible RC enthusiasts also hold a current AMA card and that number should also be displayed. The FAA recently change the rules. You used to be able to 'hide' those numbers in an inconspicuous place as not to deter from the craft's appearance. Not anymore. The FAA doesn't want to have to open or touch anything to check the number. It's a 10-25k fine if you're caught without. A word to the wise...
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:22 PM   #28
Member
 
jbwilli1's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
Posts: 52
THOR #14323
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
This is correct. I fly RC planes. The ceiling is 400ft. You also must have your stuff badged with no less than a FAA number. Most responsible RC enthusiasts also hold a current AMA card and that number should also be displayed. The FAA recently change the rules. You used to be able to 'hide' those numbers in an inconspicuous place as not to deter from the craft's appearance. Not anymore. The FAA doesn't want to have to open or touch anything to check the number. It's a 10-25k fine if you're caught without. A word to the wise...

Thanx. I have both my registration numbers applied to the rear 2 arms, red for commercial & black for hobby. I also have a reward sticker with phone number in case it gets away from me. Don't plan on that happening, but ya never know, sometimes they have a mind of their own.


If you follow the regs, by staying in visual contact, lessening the chance of a mishap. I've never been to 400 ft & can't imagine someone with that kinda vision. 200 ft it's hard to see, diffinetly can't hear it. I looked away one day & couldn't see it. First & only time I used return to home feature & it worked.
__________________
jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:06 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
Posts: 121
THOR #5638
My current employment is supporting military air search radars and I attended an unclassified manufactures conference earlier this year. Spent half a day discussing the capabilities for detection and classification of drones. One manufacture had a live remote demonstration and the system detected and classified a drone on the first pass of the antenna. Range and altitude were not disclosed but the system is capable of plotting a lat and long position that can be used for a map overlay and to direct law enforcement to the location. Airports have been using the tech for several years and the military is just catching on.

In other words know where you are flying and if the are is a no go zone for drones and even RC aircraft. They are fun but governments don't have much of a sense of enjoyment besides power projection.
__________________
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:26 AM   #30
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 11,170
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
But are you performing beyond??? LOL. JK. Good!
Only in my wildest dreams, and her worst nightmares!
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:38 AM   #31
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
Posts: 17
THOR #9044
Regulation

Be careful a lot of communities have ordinances against them. A lot of privacy issues. Almost all national parks donít allow their use.
We know they are cool but there are some that use them for the wrong reasons.
In our community they were staking out unoccupied homes then breaking in.
__________________
Lakefront5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:21 AM   #32
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 3611
State: California
Posts: 7
THOR #7317
I have 3 drones, 2 helicopters and 4 or 5 R/C planes. Love R/C. I only fly when we camp remotely and far away from anyone.
__________________
Robsauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Squerly's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Wind Sport
State: North Carolina
Posts: 357
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
ABMS...if you do get a drone, make sure you keep the software updated and do all the prechecks at the precise location you start your flight. If your model has auto-return...you don't want it flying to the previous campsite.
lol ...
__________________
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...hab-16184.html
First time RV'rs (Jim & Trish) Married 30 years
2-GSD's (Rex & Ryker)
2004 Windsport 35d
20016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:20 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Georgia
Posts: 3,658
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakefront5 View Post
Be careful a lot of communities have ordinances against them. A lot of privacy issues. Almost all national parks donít allow their use.
We know they are cool but there are some that use them for the wrong reasons.
In our community they were staking out unoccupied homes then breaking in.

The only thing a municipality can control is the use of them "over and within" their own property and parks. FAA control defaults thereafter.
__________________
2018 THOR Chateau 35SF
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #35
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
Posts: 16
THOR #3182
About the Only reason I own my Mavic Pro is for the RV, no chance I can fly it at home. Too close to a major airport.

Just use your apps to tell where it's safe to fly and you should be fine. B4UFly is one good one.
Years ago I owned one of the original DJI Phantoms, it didn't even come with a camera, I installed some 3rd party GoPro gimbal and it was a disaster. Impossible to fly as well, the thing simply would not hover.
A few years later I gave the Mavic Pro a shot and, Wow.. Drone technology sure came a Long way in those few years. Not to mention how much smaller the Mavic is, you wouldn't expect it to be that steady.

If I were to replace the Mavic Pro right now I might look at the Mavic Air based on size, price and features. Probably the Fly More Bundle so you have everything you need. Fits right in a backpack so you have it while on the trail.
__________________
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
DogLovers's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 SynergyTT24Ming Blue
State: Indiana
Posts: 395
THOR #6280
Alien Drones

I used to have a drone but government aliens destroyed it.

It all started innocent enough. We were camping near Camp David Maryland one fine evening and I thought I would try out the new fleer (infrared heat sensing)camera I had installed on my Max 2 Phantom Drone. I launched it from atop the RV to avoid nearby trees and it was just great. The monitor was almost as clear as daylight and I could easily define everything even though it was pitch dark. I began to cruise around at about 200' when I spotted a wide open area with 6 vehicles in a semicircle 1/2 mile to my east so I flew that direction to get a look. Slowly approaching I noticed several people standing around the perimeter of the vehicles and 3 people seated on what looked like camp chairs in the middle near a small makeshift campfire. As I approached I remembered I had forgotten to turn on the marker lights on the drone as required by law so I put my finger on the remote switch and flicked it on. Within 10 seconds gunshots and yelling began to ring out. I was maybe 40 feet above the 3 people seated and they all were looking up. To my surprise it was Hillary Clinton, Monica Lewinsky and Paula Jones. I could clearly see they were holding small dolls resembling Bill Clinton covered in what looked like chicken blood with pins sticking out of them. Upon seeing the drone above they quickly tossed the dolls into the fire and scrambled towards the vehicles. Next thing I know the camera and signals from the drone went black, then the shooting stopped. We were scared but I decided they would have no idea who we were, where we were or who owned or operated the drone. After a restless night we awoke to a fine summer morning. Birds singing the sun beaming through the tree limbs then I noticed all the RV windows were completely open.........

Next time I will explain how the Muslim Barack Hussein Obama had his alien friends steal my drone remote and all the still pictures it took of the political Voodoo ceremony.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alien-main_2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	20291  
__________________
Bill & Martha more than 42 years.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella, Baxter and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,257
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
I used to have a drone but government aliens destroyed it.



It all started innocent enough. We were camping near Camp David Maryland one fine evening and I thought I would try out the new fleer (infrared heat sensing)camera I had installed on my Max 2 Phantom Drone. I launched it from atop the RV to avoid nearby trees and it was just great. The monitor was almost as clear as daylight and I could easily define everything even though it was pitch dark. I began to cruise around at about 200' when I spotted a wide open area with 6 vehicles in a semicircle 1/2 mile to my east so I flew that direction to get a look. Slowly approaching I noticed several people standing around the perimeter of the vehicles and 3 people seated on what looked like camp chairs in the middle near a small makeshift campfire. As I approached I remembered I had forgotten to turn on the marker lights on the drone as required by law so I put my finger on the remote switch and flicked it on. Within 10 seconds gunshots and yelling began to ring out. I was maybe 40 feet above the 3 people seated and they all were looking up. To my surprise it was Hillary Clinton, Monica Lewinsky and Paula Jones. I could clearly see they were holding small dolls resembling Bill Clinton covered in what looked like chicken blood with pins sticking out of them. Upon seeing the drone above they quickly tossed the dolls into the fire and scrambled towards the vehicles. Next thing I know the camera and signals from the drone went black, then the shooting stopped. We were scared but I decided they would have no idea who we were, where we were or who owned or operated the drone. After a restless night we awoke to a fine summer morning. Birds singing the sun beaming through the tree limbs then I noticed all the RV windows were completely open.........



Next time I will explain how the Muslim Barack Hussein Obama had his alien friends steal my drone remote and all the still pictures it took of the political Voodoo ceremony.
I'm surprised you survived the long arm of Hillary many havent
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:25 PM   #38
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Compass 23TR
State: New York
Posts: 5
THOR #12187
Lightbulb Custom Drone Base in Thor Compass

Love my drones! Hate the hassles, so I spent some free time on a fun drone RV project recently and thought this might be a good thread to demo some of it.

We hardly every use the shower in our 2018 Thor Compass mini C, so I built a reverse-tension 3-tier shelf system that supports itself in the RV's shower stall. It "snaps" easily in and out when we want to use the shower and is strong and stable. I made the shelves and frame elements so they're in a constant state of tension against adjacent elements, but not too much. It doesn't even wiggle on bumpy roads, so it works well and I have several thousand miles on it for testing.

The 1/4" luan shelves hold the GoPro and other drones so they're always ready to launch. Two shelves act as gear storage and hard-wired charging stations for the batteries, controllers and my ham radio rigs. (On either side of the front two vertical white support rods are stowed ham radio antennas.) The GoPro is perched on the top landing shelf in the photo. I am modifying the dome skylight now to operate remotely so it's easier to launch and recover drones through the vehicle's roof hatch. It's a blast to do.

The Compass' outdoor TV/monitor works great for live drone video feeds, so everyone can enjoy the flight from the camera's perspective. Next, I'll program the GoPro's tracker to orbit the Compass while I'm driving down a nice winding road.. no wait, that could be worse than texting while driving. Scratch that last idea!

Be Safe,
Dave Ak1ns, HEADNOUT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRONE1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	20292  
__________________
DaveAk1ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
DocMike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 1,607
THOR #2142
That is just too cool!

DocMike
__________________
Sheree & Michael NCNG LTC(ret) with Munpi and Sheba (cat).
2016 Vegas 24.1 E350 5 speed "Ms. Enterprise", Bug-Guard Screen, Recliners, Infotainment Center, HUD, ARC Shower Rod, Safe-T-Plus, Curt SpareTire Mount,Tornado Black Tank Rinser, ext. WiFi Antenna, Roadmaster Tow Sys& Invisibrake.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:17 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 11,170
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
I used to have a drone but government aliens destroyed it.

It all started innocent enough. We were camping near Camp David Maryland one fine evening and I thought I would try out the new fleer (infrared heat sensing)camera I had installed on my Max 2 Phantom Drone. I launched it from atop the RV to avoid nearby trees and it was just great. The monitor was almost as clear as daylight and I could easily define everything even though it was pitch dark. I began to cruise around at about 200' when I spotted a wide open area with 6 vehicles in a semicircle 1/2 mile to my east so I flew that direction to get a look. Slowly approaching I noticed several people standing around the perimeter of the vehicles and 3 people seated on what looked like camp chairs in the middle near a small makeshift campfire. As I approached I remembered I had forgotten to turn on the marker lights on the drone as required by law so I put my finger on the remote switch and flicked it on. Within 10 seconds gunshots and yelling began to ring out. I was maybe 40 feet above the 3 people seated and they all were looking up. To my surprise it was Hillary Clinton, Monica Lewinsky and Paula Jones. I could clearly see they were holding small dolls resembling Bill Clinton covered in what looked like chicken blood with pins sticking out of them. Upon seeing the drone above they quickly tossed the dolls into the fire and scrambled towards the vehicles. Next thing I know the camera and signals from the drone went black, then the shooting stopped. We were scared but I decided they would have no idea who we were, where we were or who owned or operated the drone. After a restless night we awoke to a fine summer morning. Birds singing the sun beaming through the tree limbs then I noticed all the RV windows were completely open.........

Next time I will explain how the Muslim Barack Hussein Obama had his alien friends steal my drone remote and all the still pictures it took of the political Voodoo ceremony.
__________________

__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×