Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2019, 11:59 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
RV'ers with Drones, suggestions/observations/input

All,

Having seen lots of neat drone pictures I have been daydreaming about getting a drone.
Are there enough Drone Owners here on the Thor Forum to discuss options, make suggestion, give observations and input as to Drones for RV'ing? So as to check out the RV sites at a campground, scout fishing spots around the area or just take cool pictures and video?
Just might be able to convince the DW that a Drone is a great MOD and/or upgrade for our RV.

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:31 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #12686
Drones are as diverse as RVs...depends on what you want it for. IMHO, spend some $$$ for a decent one. Trying to save money will end up costing you money (cheap ones will usually fly away, never to be seen again). Watch lots of youtube vids and learn what is easy to fly, fun to "sport" fly, long enough battery life to enjoy, and for sure, has a good camera. I have a DJI Mavic Pro. I got the kit with drone, 3 batteries, all other accessories, usually a $1300 kit, QVC had a 1 day event, $999. The Mavic is awesome for video and stills (1080p and 4K) but is also sleek enough, it's a blast to fly in sport mode. There are lots of good drones to choose from, I am rather partial to DJI. I'm sure the thread you started here will produce a lot of info. The drone subject has been touched on in several threads in this forum but never hurts to have a dedicated one. My Thor Vegas and DJI Mavic go hand-in-hand.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:10 AM   #3

THOR #2142
Mike,

Two years ago this coming Thanksgiving we were up at Peace Valley KOA in Murphy. One of the RV'ers had a drone and he was taking video up and down the Valley River, in and around the campsites, dropping in low where groups were for interaction. Then later he replayed it for us and made it available to anyone who wanted to download the files. It was really fascinating and planted the idea that I needed one.
Thanks for the input and a price range.

DocMike

Old 09-09-2019, 01:19 AM   #4

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
I've been having a blast with mine!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eA...zisePRGoiSY_hd
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:29 AM   #5

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
All,

Having seen lots of neat drone pictures I have been daydreaming about getting a drone.
Are there enough Drone Owners here on the Thor Forum to discuss options, make suggestion, give observations and input as to Drones for RV'ing? So as to check out the RV sites at a campground, scout fishing spots around the area or just take cool pictures and video?
Just might be able to convince the DW that a Drone is a great MOD and/or upgrade for our RV.

DocMike

Wish you were closer, I'd make you a great deal on mine. I've been flying for about 9 years, some for fun, but mostly for my DW who is a Realtor after retiring from Houston PD.

The negativity about them seems to be dying down. But there's still some uneducated that think these are spying on them. If the drone is close enuf to get a good picture of your face, you'll see & hear it. You can see an example in Squerly video as he flies toward himself.

Check out

She's just about ready to really retire, so we can travel. I'll nag her until she does!
Old 09-09-2019, 02:41 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I have a DJI Phantom 4 and enjoy flying it whenever possible. I will admit I am still a novice but working to improve. One of the benefits I get from mine is for the RV I will fly it over the roof and check for possible issues without having to climb up the ladder.

For the house I periodically fly around the perimeter inspecting my gutters to determine when they need cleaning and to look at areas of the roof that are not visible from the ground.

When out in the RV I never fly around other folks sites unless requested and I always ask permission from campground management before I fly. When someplace like the Outer Banks to have to be knowledgeable of where the campground ends and the National Seashore begins because you can't fly at the seashore.

I estimate I have about 1500.00 tied up in mine and that includes a couple extra batteries. I need to get a charger that can handle multiple batteries at the same time.

https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I'd love to have one, but figure most places we go I couldn't fly much anyway...state parks and such.

And I'd be hesitant to fly over more populated touristy places we'd go to (towns like St Augustine just as an example) just out of courtesy to others (and fear that the more folks fly them the stricter regulations will become). Also I guess I'm a little concerned about flying someplace posted as a no-drone zone but I mistakenly didn't see the sign...

I'm a private pilot but haven't flown much in a long time....getting that view from above with a drone would likely never get old to me.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The Smithsonian Channel has a show for that view from above: Aerial America. If you can stay awake (the narrator has that easy listening kind of voice that puts you to sleep) you can see a lot of the US from the sky.

I/we occasionally watch the show to get places to visit on our upcoming trips (and or to get to sleep if I can't otherwise fall asleep LOL).

Other than that: I can't stay on this thread too long--my wallet would get a bit thinner and its already getting thinner by the day LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1568033107
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2pph6b.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	20157  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:07 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
We also have a DJI Mavic pro which we really like. You can really get some nice pictures and videos. I keep it on the motorhome. We just recently stayed at an RV park on the water. I was able to get some neat pictures of my wife and I standing in front of our motorhome with the drone over the water. Just don't buy a cheap one because you will end of buying a better one later.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If they ever get down to this size: do you think that flying them will be easier... or tougher?

Old 09-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
DJI Phantom 4 here and love it. Fly stealthy and stay away from other campers...someone will call DHS on you. I mostly use it for the remote areas we travel unless I've been authorized in a more crowded area. They are tons of fun but can get you in trouble quickly if you don't know the laws. There's plenty of apps that will help you but most important...know where you can't fly. It's amazing how many airports and airstrips there are around this country and you can't fly near them. Drones in a campground can be as aggravating as the little nerd moron 3 campsites away that thinks it's cool to run his little RC car through everyone's campsite.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #16529
I have owned drones for the last few years and recently bought an RV. The new ones practically fly themselves and would recommend them to anyone with as they are fun and will expand your ability to document your travels. I currently own the Mavic 2 Pro

Armando
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DJI_0011 copy.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	20160   Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0983 copy.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	20161  

Old 09-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
DJI Drones in a campground can be as aggravating as the little nerd moron 3 campsites away that thinks it's cool to run his little RC car through everyone's campsite.
At least you can stop an R/C car with a baseball bat!
Old 09-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
I've just been looking at
" Drones", and the DJI MAVIC AIR looks interesting. My wife bought me a palm sized one with a small camera for Christmas a couple of years ago, and I never have been able fly it.
Thinking the MAVIC line will be easier to fly/use, due to the Auto fly features. I Built/flew RC Airplanes, and raced RC Cars, in the 80s, so I'm somewhat familiar with RC.
Looking at adding a entry level photography drone to use when out in our 17 THOR Challenger 37 TB.
Also just saw a YouTube video of a Husban Zino that looks interesting. It's not a MAVIC, but less Expensive, and it has some comparable features.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #16

THOR #2142
Keep it coming. Thanks for all the input.

The piggy bank is getting a bit nervous as these drones are getting more and more interesting.

DocMike

Old 09-09-2019, 08:32 PM   #17

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #16529
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Keep it coming. Thanks for all the input.

The piggy bank is getting a bit nervous as these drones are getting more and more interesting.

DocMike
One more vote for the DJI Mavic either pro or 2 pro. Easy portability and incredible quality .

Armando
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DJI_0068 copy.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	20170  
Old 09-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #18

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
At least you can stop an R/C car with a baseball bat!
I'd kill for the chance to watch you run around your campsite with a baseball bat trying to smash a RC car. I'd sell tickets.

You can take a drone out of the sky with a slingshot - if you're good enough. Best part? No noise except the lead hitting the drone and the drone hitting the ground.

I'm bustin' on ya.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I don't run: not even at gunpoint...
But lying in wait for a nice ambush: I'm always up for that!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:38 PM   #20

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I don't run: not even at gunpoint...
But lying in wait for a nice ambush: I'm always up for that!
Ambush? I take it you like a good paint ball challenge. If so, check out Jim Thorpe for one of your excursions. You won't regret it.

Hope you're enjoying your new rig. Safe travels.