Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2017, 11:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Satellite TV?

For any of you oldheads out there (RV-wise, of course. I would never insinuate any of you are old age-wise:-) ), I am looking at satellite tv dishes. If I get the one that only uses the western arc satellites, will it work at all in the eastern US or do I need to spend the bucks and buy the one that sees both western and eastern arcs? Thanks, ahead of time.

FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:02 AM   #2

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #8264
I have the Wineguard Pathway X2 and would recommend it. If you are on the east coast it is recommended for the eastern arc. I had trouble getting the eastern arc one time because of trees but was able to get the western arc due to being low on the horizon . I suppose the reverse would be true somewhere else in the country. Being able to get both is a definately positive.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We have the Winegard Carryout G2+. It uses Dish Western Arc satellites and we have signal all the way from upstate NY to FL. It can also convert (using dip switches) to DirecTV if you ever feel inclined. Ours is roof mounted.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:40 PM   #4

THOR #8503
Smile

Thanks for your replies. I plan to decide today what to go with. Dish has some decent bundle packages available now. I just wasn't sure what I might lose with just the western arc coverage. From some of the stuff I have read, it seems to me like the biggest concern with that is local station coverage. That is not my big concern. I very seldom watch my local stations nowadays (since their weather forecasts are usually wrong anyway).
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #5

THOR #8264
I have Dish Network at home so to add another reciever is only $7.00 a month. You can also suspend your RV dish at anytime and reactivate it for no fee. I still feel it is an advantage to get both arcs.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #6

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
I have Dish Network at home so to add another reciever is only $7.00 a month. You can also suspend your RV dish at anytime and reactivate it for no fee. I still feel it is an advantage to get both arcs.
Is that $7 per receiver or $7 per account? Most of my RV travel is going to be in the west, but will probably make trips to the southeast, New England, and Ohio/Kentucky. I wasn't sure if I would lose programming other than local stuff if I went with the western only.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #7

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
By the way, I notice you live in NY, so your input on this is appreciated. You have obviously dealt with the western vs. eastern issue.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #8

THOR #8264
Seven dollars per reciever. It's just like adding another reciever to your house,except you have the option of suspending paying for it if your not going to use your rv for a period of time. We don't use ours right now in the winter so we stop paying for it during that period of time. We plug the output of the reciever to an input of our hdmi switcher so it feeds all three of our tvs. My opinion is it's better to pay upfront to get a Dish that gets both arcs than find out later that you wish you had. I bought my Wineguard Pathway X2 bundle on Amazon.If you check the Wineguard site that is what they recommend for the east coast.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #9

THOR #8503
Yes, I had talked yesterday with a lady at dishformyrv.com. She suggested the same - I wanted to check with some actual users, as well, to make sure they weren't just pushing the higher priced option. Thanks for the advice.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-19-2017, 04:13 PM   #10

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
wayneroe - hope this will help. We have a Tailgater 2nd edition. It is the sort that can be installed which we have done. We have used all over the US to include the northern woods of Maine, 1000 Islands, all along the east coast down to Key West. all the way across the north west US and back across the US on I-10. No problems in any of these locations. We considered at one time getting the Traveler but haven't found anything that says it has better reception than our Tailgater.

We have Dish at home and on the road. We pay $7 per month extra for service in our Challenger.

This is based on experience. Again - hope it helps.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #11

THOR #8503
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
wayneroe - hope this will help. We have a Tailgater 2nd edition. It is the sort that can be installed which we have done. We have used all over the US to include the northern woods of Maine, 1000 Islands, all along the east coast down to Key West. all the way across the north west US and back across the US on I-10. No problems in any of these locations. We considered at one time getting the Traveler but haven't found anything that says it has better reception than our Tailgater.

We have Dish at home and on the road. We pay $7 per month extra for service in our Challenger.

Thanks, bigben!! You're OK even if you were (are) Army.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #12

THOR #1020
Leave to a Zoomie to crack wise :-). Hope that helped.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #13

THOR #8503
I told an airborne guy once I didn't understand why anyone would ever willingly jump out of a perfectly good airplane. He told me there was no such thing as a perfectly good airplane. I figured as long as we logged the same number of takeoffs and landings, it was, at least, an acceptably good airplane.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-19-2017, 08:43 PM   #14

THOR #1020
Too funny!!
Old 11-24-2017, 04:40 AM   #15

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post

How do you know if the tailgater is the 2nd edition?
I just bought the tailgater a couple weeks ago but I would not know how to figure out which edition it is.
Thanks.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Stupid question from a complete satellite newbie :
Since I have no satellite TV accounts with anyone: do either Dish Network or DirecTV off packages designed specifically for RV usage?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Stupid question from a complete satellite newbie :
Since I have no satellite TV accounts with anyone: do either Dish Network or DirecTV off packages designed specifically for RV usage?
Yes, Dish has what they call "Pay as you Go" which is basically month to month service. There are a few Dish resellers who can set this up for you (Exclusive Provider Of The Maximum Signal Cell Phone Booster | TVForMyRV for example) since the Dish folks don't always get it right (they always assume you want HOME service.) It isn't discounted, but you can turn it off when not using it.

DirecTV doesn't have RV specific packages and none of their domes support HD, you must use a manual dish or get the Trav'ler automatic antenna (at $1500-$2000.)
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:04 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks!
We're still pretty early in the process; but it's good to know what we're getting into!
Old 11-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #19

THOR #8503
Also, Bob, that's $7 per receiver, so if you want a separate receiver so you can watch different programming on two TVs, it'll cost you $14.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 11-25-2017, 11:00 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Our T.V. tastes aren't that sophisticated... The Missus can watch whatever she wants with the receiver; I'll just "take the hind teat", and put a movie in the Blu-Ray player...
Something like "RV", or "The Long, Long, Trailer".