Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: New Hampshire
THOR #5447
DISH or DIRECTTV - Which to get?

I am looking at switching from home cable to satellite - with the option of using it in the RV- any opinions on which system is better?

Old 06-23-2018, 09:57 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
What ever you have at home is best in an RV. If you use over the top at home; then, I would do the same in the RV. Cell networks are quite robust (campground WiFi is not, usually). That said Dish is easier than DirecTV (so I hear) especially with carry-out antennas for HD. I been a DirecTV guy for 23 years and wouldn't be without it. We carry our genie and its wireless setup with us when we are on the road. We use a ZTE mobley (ATT) for streaming to the genie.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:54 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I've heard it mentioned that Dish Network has packages that are specifically tailored for use by RVers. They make it really easy to either pick up, or suspend coverage: depending on when you'll be using your rig.

I don't know if DirecTV has anything comparable to that...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:07 AM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We have used Direct in the motor home for years. Have a SWM3 auto dish mounted on the roof, one button and it finds the three satellites necessary for HD, and locks on them. Works flawlessly. Have no experience with Dish, so I can't give you any experience comparisons, but direct has worked well for us.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:13 AM   #5

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
If you already have DirecTV at home, they make it very economical to use their service in the RV.

Since I don't even have a stick and bricks home, I chose DISH. For all regular channels plus the locals, I pay about $100/month. One advantage of DISH is that they let you turn it off and then back on without an activation fee.

I ended up choosing the DISH Tailgater Antenna which allows me to park in the shade and put my antenna up to 50' away to get good signal. The roof mounts don't work that way. When I stay in campgrounds I just tell them that I need a southern exposure for my satellite antenna.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Noticed you stated you were moving from home CABLE to satellite (DISH or DIRECTV).

Being that is noted, your biggest decision (IMHO) is whether or not you want max NFL games. If that's the case - DirecTV is the way to go. Most of the other channels are germane to both providers except for certain home improvement/automotive channels.

I have had Dish for many, many years so the decision for RV was easy. And it is cheaper and they have good customer service.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:21 PM   #7

Model: ACE 29.2
State: New Hampshire
THOR #5447
What is "NFL"? -- lol - just kidding, i dont watch it. As long as i can get nascar on fox & nbcsn i will be happy. The wife watches the options. Thanks for the comments.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:30 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
DirecTV antennas are limited if you want HD. The Winegard Trav'ler is the only automatic antenna that gets an HD signal (as it is basically a folding version of the dish with automated sat finding.) Dish has several options for HD antennas and there are some that will let you switch between providers (Winegard Carryout X2+) so you can do Dish month to month and switch if you want.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:44 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc290 View Post
What is "NFL"? -- lol - just kidding, i don't watch it. As long as i can get nascar on fox & nbcsn i will be happy. The wife watches the options. Thanks for the comments.
NBCSN has promised several races in 4K. I have the LNB and genie so I guess I will have to upgrade my coach's TVs
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:04 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
We looked long and hard at both Dish & Direct.
Dish won out as the (2) tv's in the RV are for all intents and purposes just extra bedrooms.(and cost is $7 extra)
I don't give a rip about watching the knee benders of the NFL, but gotta have my Nascar and PAC-12 network for the Ducks & Beavers.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #11

State: Florida
THOR #12224
Just an option I went with DirectTV now. If you have ATT Cellular its cheap, and all you need is wifi to watch it on TV, or if you have Ipad or Iphone or similar they give you unlimited data to watch on on device. Worked will for me, no device to buy either.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #12

Model: ACE 27.2
State: Colorado
THOR #11875
My home experienced with DISH was AWFUL. Poor customer "service", poor everything. Switched to DTV and been very happy. free upgrades where as DISH wanted to charge for everything. After I dropped DISH, and told them to turn it off, they left it on for two months on autopay. I stopped autopay and they billed me for 2 mo. "service" which I didn't have as their dish was removed. 2 yr later they had a great AD for new service, so i called and was told i still owed them $173.56 for two months that I hadn't paid for. BEWARE of DISH