Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Searching for Vegas or Axis 25.3 Owners

I tried using the search on this Forum but struck out. A few questions for anyone with the 25.3 Model. First and foremost, must the bed be "folded-up" when the slide is in? How comfortable is it to watch TV in the main room from the dream dinette?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #2
Kev

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
I tried using the search on this Forum but struck out. A few questions for anyone with the 25.3 Model. First and foremost, must the bed be "folded-up" when the slide is in? How comfortable is it to watch TV in the main room from the dream dinette?

Doc
I don't know about the 25.3 but I have a 25.2 with a rear slide and yes the bed has to be folded up when the slide is in. I don't know if the floorplan on the website is to scale but if it is it looks like it would have to fold.

Kev
Old 03-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
A couple of thoughts.
Looked at the 25.3 at the Houston RV show. Yes, the bed has to be folded when the slide is in. However, one still can make a pretty nice “day-bed” room with the slide in and the bed folded, as one can with the 25.2.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f3/just-bought-25-2-axis-4061.html
Looking at the TV from the dinette requires looking “sideways” for some folks. We prefer the 25.2 layout. “different strokes etc.”
Best Regards,
James
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:02 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We preferred the 25.2, since you can camp in narrow sites and single parking spaces ( no side slide) And, if necessary, two people can sleep on the couch and overhead bunk without using the back bed slide.

We also like to be able to completely close off the bedroom from the rest of the coach with a REAL door.

And we liked the couch better than the dinette just for watching TV and relaxing....

DocMike you thinking of moving to a different model?
Old 03-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #5

THOR #2142
Terry and Mo,

Thanks for the info on the bed. "Folding it" halfway to a day bed looks like a good option in the 25.2. I would have hoped that a 25.3 owner would have chimed in on this one...I guess they are few and far between?

I noticed there has been discussion on the changes for 2018 models (E-350 for the 24.1 vs E450 for the others and the tankless water heater listed as standard). The 25.2 seems to have the longest wheel base, you guys notice any improvement due to the extra length?

Doc

Old 03-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #6

THOR #4687
Don't really have anything to compare it to, and its only 6" longer, but that was another reason we chose the 25.2, figured the longer wheel base sure wouldn't hurt...

Also, the 25.2 has the largest shower of any of the AXIS/VEGAS and most of the THOR class b & c s (And yes size DOES matter <grin>)

Got the 2016, so don't have the tankless hot water tank...so cant help you there..

But really happy with the bed in the 25.2 and the ability to have a "walk around" bed so don't have to slide out during those night bathroom calls.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:47 PM   #7

THOR #2142
Mo Mike,

Yeah, the tiny original shower in the 24.1 was disapointing. With the ARC it is now adequate...and a good reason to go on a diet.

Doc

Old 03-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We looked at the 25.3 when it came out, and after we already had experience with our 25.2. We preferred the 25.2 layout, for all the reasons already stated. Now, after over a hundred nights, we still find the 25.2 just right. (Goldilocks!)

If you order a new Axis or Vegas, check that you get a 2018. It will cost a bit more than a leftover 2017, but you will get some of that back when you sell or trade it down the road.

Have to ask again, DocMike, are you looking at moving to a different model?
Old 03-13-2017, 12:18 AM   #9
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJames View Post
A couple of thoughts.
Looked at the 25.3 at the Houston RV show. Yes, the bed has to be folded when the slide is in. However, one still can make a pretty nice “day-bed” room with the slide in and the bed folded, as one can with the 25.2.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f3/just-bought-25-2-axis-4061.html
Looking at the TV from the dinette requires looking “sideways” for some folks. We prefer the 25.2 layout. “different strokes etc.”
Best Regards,
James
I have the 25.2 and with the slide the bed is folded I can't see how it could be a day bedroom.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:39 AM   #10

THOR #2142
Mr. Sunshine,

We are heading into our second year (as of May) with the 24.1 and like most we have had to do some repairs, maintainence and warranty work to get the unit up and running. That leaves 3 years of extended warranty left (in the shop now for a new heater and some gray water plumbing - both warranty work).

Sheree will be taking early retirement this year and I plan on two more years of full time work. Which leaves us with one year left on the extended warranty.

With all that said in 18 or so months we will need to decide on keeping the 24.1 for good or changing to something else.

We have the 24.1 set up as a king bed and that takes away easy access to some storage areas and makes mid-night bathroom runs a bit of a group activity getting out of bed and waking up not only the DW but also one or two of the dogs.

Having a walk around bed (granted Queen size) seems like a bonus, provided it does not require a full tear down after each use prior to bringing the slide in. If the 25.3 folds up to a daybed for travel, it would be a selling point.

Thor has limited options if trying to stay at or under 30ft in length (some ACE models would fit the length) I am just wondering about the learning curve going up to the next size of Ford drivetrain.

Doc

Old 03-13-2017, 01:43 AM   #11

Model: vegas
State: South Carolina
THOR #6766
Just got the 25.2 at the Jacksonville show. Very pleased
with the floor plan and the rear slide bed room. No problem watching the TV, so for so good.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:14 AM   #12

THOR #4687
Congratulations, hope you enjoy your coach....
Old 03-13-2017, 02:47 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
When first we saw our 24.1 at the RV show it was parked next to a 25.3 , both being displayed by the same dealer.
We initially were going to buy the 25.3 but were talked out of it by the salesman.
He made two points , first he said that he had used a 25.3 for a weekend camping trip with his family.
He said that he found the bed to be uncomfortable. The reason being that when sleeping on his side the "hinge" where the bed folds when the slide was put in was exactly where his hip landed causing discomfort.
His other point was that while the slide was nice in the bedroom it was more useful in the "living" area .
Apparently during their weekend in the 25.3 a rainy day kept them in the coach and he said the dinette was not a comfortable area to hang out and no slide made it tight.
After listening to what he had to say we went back and forth between the 24.1 and the 25.3 , lying on beds and sitting on couches and dinettes .
We bought the 24.1 and for us it was the right decision.
This choice was based on our needs and wants, we bought what worked for us .
With that said the 25.3 may be a better choice for other folks , different floor plans fit different needs.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:17 AM   #14

State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Our 25.2 Vegas

Quote:
Mr. Sunshine,

We are heading into our second year (as of May) with the 24.1 and like most we have had to do some repairs, maintainence and warranty work to get the unit up and running. That leaves 3 years of extended warranty left (in the shop now for a new heater and some gray water plumbing - both warranty work).

Sheree will be taking early retirement this year and I plan on two more years of full time work. Which leaves us with one year left on the extended warranty.

With all that said in 18 or so months we will need to decide on keeping the 24.1 for good or changing to something else.

We have the 24.1 set up as a king bed and that takes away easy access to some storage areas and makes mid-night bathroom runs a bit of a group activity getting out of bed and waking up not only the DW but also one or two of the dogs.

Having a walk around bed (granted Queen size) seems like a bonus, provided it does not require a full tear down after each use prior to bringing the slide in. If the 25.3 folds up to a daybed for travel, it would be a selling point.

Thor has limited options if trying to stay at or under 30ft in length (some ACE models would fit the length) I am just wondering about the learning curve going up to the next size of Ford drivetrain.

Doc
Hey Doc, hope all is well. We bought the 2016 Vegas 25.2. We just returned home from a trip from NC to Ca. we stayed at a few Walmarts and a few Campgrounds. The bed in the back when extended is very comfortable. There was a night or two that we did not slide the bed out and we used the couch as a bed and let down the overhead bed. Both worked out great. The motorhome handled great in heavy traffic and as big trucks past me and as I past them. I did have the front end aligned and have not added a safe t stabilizer. I am very please with the way it performed. Now I do want to change out the carpet in the front with the black rubber/vinyl covering. Well take care and good luck!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #15

THOR #2142
We have enjoyed the 24.1's side slide in the "living room" so far. With two dogs that wider space in the "living room" area is nice and something we might miss.

Nice that your salesman was so honest about the hinge location on the bed slide set up for the 25.3.

Doc

Old 03-14-2017, 01:28 AM   #16

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
We have enjoyed the 24.1's side slide in the "living room" so far. With two dogs that wider space in the "living room" area is nice and something we might miss.

Nice that your salesman was so honest about the hinge location on the bed slide set up for the 25.3.

Doc

In our 25.2, we never feel the seam where the bed folds. We are 6' and 5'6". I believe the 25.3 bed folds in the same place. There isn't any "hinge", just fabric which allows the fold. Try it yourself before you pull the trigger.

We leave the sheets and comforter on the bed when we fold it, along with the foam mat. It won't fold flat with all that, so a bungee holds it up.

We haven't found a need to try to make a daybed out of the folded bed. If we want to relax in the back, we'll put out the slide, even with the car attached.

Now we don't have pets to consider, Doc, so our needs differ. Personally, we chose the 25.2, forgoing the extra room in the front area for the walk around queen. If you are OK with twin beds, you might consider the 25.5.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:54 AM   #17

THOR #2142
Too bad Thor does not make a double slide Vegas/Axis using the 25.2's frame with the bed out the back and the 24.1's side slide. They could make the unit a SC (senior citizen) model and remove the overhead bed (one less thing to fall from and cut down on front axile weight and costs). Then offer Recliners (I can fall asleep in ours during a long comercial) instead of the couch or dinette.

I remember an earlier thread here where owners were designing their ideal Vegas/Axis...after 21 months I now have what I would call my "dream machine" design.

Doc

Old 03-14-2017, 02:01 AM   #18

THOR #2121
If Thor simply stretched the 24.1 from 25'-6" to 27' like some other floorplans, the added 18-inches would allow the bedroom to have a standard and permanent walk-around bed.

Obviously they haven't, and probably won't in the future, but it says a lot about how Thor feels about walk-around beds in smaller motorhomes.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:01 AM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Here is the dream floorplan thread: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...lans-4897.html

I agree I would like a dual-slide Axis/Vegas unit (at the moment I'm thinking I'm leaning towards the couch instead of the dinette as I posted in that thread).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:38 AM   #20

THOR #2121
The trend from Thor lately seems to be one larger slide in lieu of two smaller ones. This is example in Class C which is even shorter than Axis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3784.PNG
Views:	157
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	4241