Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Fire Safety in MH

As I am doing the finishing touches on my MH for the upcoming summer trip, it is time to upgrade my fire safety measures. When we purchased the coach up north last fall I didn't have time to do everything before coming back south.

Others may or may not agree, but to me it is more dangerous as far as fire hazards go when sleeping in a MH compared to a 5th wheel or TT. Not only are we laying on top of propane tank(s), but now you can add 80 gallons of gasoline and more batteries/wiring to the mix.

Just like with my past fivers I start by adding a smoke detector in the outside storage. With my MH, since I have so much outside storage I am adding three, one toward the front and one in the rear in outside storage, then one more inside by the bedroom.

I am adding three additional fire extinguishers, one in the bedroom, one by the drivers seat, and one in a forward outside compartment. These are not real big ones and are general purpose (cheap). On my monthly "to-do" maintenance check list I have them noted for removing them from their holders, turning them upside down, shaking them, and re-securing them.

Of course all the batteries in my OEM detectors get changed and tested. The first time I did this I found that the previous owner had removed the battery from my forward smoke detector (smart move).

These additions will probably run me around $80.00, but I certainly will sleep better at night.

US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Joe, I ABSOLUTELY agree with you, you can't be to careful when it comes to fire safety! I have seen three MHs on fire over the many years, not a pretty site. All three MHs burnt to the ground quickly, especially after the propane tank ruptured and acted like a GIANT blow torch!!!
Old 04-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I posted this about a year and a half ago.

Thor Forums - View Single Post - Single best simple mod you have made?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
OP touched my hot button. As an ex Burg and Fire alarm co. owner - I am really upset with RV manufacturers design ideas when it comes to fire/heat detection and more importantly smoke detection and warning. At a MINIMUM there should be one smoke detector in every sleeping area and at least one in the central area. By way of example a 38 foot with master, bunk and forward sleeping area would need four and maybe even five smoke detectors. As far as I know the majority of installed RV detectors are ionization that alarm on things we can't see. In the close quarters of an RV that equals false alarms and eventually detector batteries being removed and then ZERO protection. IMO photoelectric detectors are much more suitable in the RV environment. They alarm on visible air particles. When our coach was new we could not even make toast light brown without setting off the closest detector. I changed to photoelectric detectors, added one and not one false alarm since. In the OP's case I really wonder if detectors in the basement would wake sleeping occupants, unless they are the newer wireless INTERCONNECTED (if one detector sounds alarm ALL detectors in that system will sound) battery operated detectors such as the RF-SM-DC - smoke detector chirping, smoke detector sound - Battery Operated Wireless Interconnect Smoke Alarm
Sorry to say but my mental knowledge base has not been updated for a few years so there may even be something better on the tech front. Don't know for sure but suspect wireless battery operated heat detectors are available and would be much more suitable the OP's basement application since nobody (normally) sleeps in the basement. A little smoke in the basement won't hurt anyone sleeping above - but heat - say 210 degrees could indicate a real problem. When you are awake the nose it the BEST smoke detector but when asleep it is pretty much shut off.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #5

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
dstankov, may have to look into the safety blankets. My thoughts on having extinguisher in the bedroom was to be able to "fight" our way toward the door and escape, but your idea may be worth a look.

ctpres, your knowledge and background is not to be ignored. I will have to be careful when selecting additional smoke detectors or possibly even heat sensors for the basement area. We sleep with either background noise on or the ceiling air blower on, so we probably would not be alerted in the middle of the night for a outside or basement fire.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #6

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
While we are at it...
  • Be sure to get a new fire extinguisher every other year (at minimum).
  • When fighting a fire make sure that you are between the fire and an exit before trying to extinguish it.
  • Point the fire extinguisher at the base of the fire; not the flames.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:11 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
While we are at it...
  • Be sure to get a new fire extinguisher every other year (at minimum).
  • When fighting a fire make sure that you are between the fire and an exit before trying to extinguish it.
  • Point the fire extinguisher at the base of the fire; not the flames.
I carry two 2.5 lb Halotron fire extinguishers; one in the bedroom and one by the door. Why would they need to be replaced? I have had them for 18 years and have them serviced every five years.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #8

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I carry two 2.5 lb Halotron fire extinguishers; one in the bedroom and one by the door. Why would they need to be replaced? I have had them for 18 years and have them serviced every five years.
Five years may be a little too long. Most of the newer RVs (like mine) have non-serviceable extinguishers.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I installed a detector in the utility compartment under my bed. It's where the converter, transfer switch, and lots of tangled nasty wiring is installed along side the low point drain and plumbing lines!

I also added a larger extinguisher to the bedroom. The exit is there, but I may need to fight my way forward for the kids.

I have always wanted to put an automatic extinguisher in the absorption fridge compartment but never have.... just did a fresh search to find current pricing and found these
https://smile.amazon.com/Auto-Out-Ve...c+extinguisher

interesting idea I think & I wonder if it might serve a similar purpose. I know likely not near as good, but a cheap poor man's option might be better than nothing..... if there is no downside to it???