Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Steelers Tailgating

Me wife is a huge Steelers fan. For Mothers' Day she is getting tickets to a preseason game at Heinz Field. SSSHHHHH...she doesn't know yet. Anyone have any advice for RV parking/tailgating there? Also...what small, light grill would you recommend for tailgating? Nothing fancy...basic burgers kinda thing.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Hopefully you’ll find better info than I can offer, but here’s what little I know. Took my sons to the Burgh in December 2016 to watch the Giants get beat by our Steelers. We stayed in the Hyatt Place, which sits between Heinz Field and PNC Park.

Tailgaters were all throughout the parking lot immediately behind the Hyatt, as well as the lots between there and Heinz. There were cars, pickups, campers, even busses. Look at it on Google Maps.

I suggest getting there early. It fills up!

The tailgaters were living large. It was COLD but we all had a great time.

I’m not sure how I feel about the NFL this season, because of the whole Anthem / kneeling thing, but if it gets worked out I am thinking of going in 2019 with the boys and our RV.

Have fun! That’s a great gift to your wife!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:32 PM   #3

State: South Dakota
THOR #7602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Hopefully you’ll find better info than I can offer, but here’s what little I know. Took my sons to the Burgh in December 2016 to watch the Giants get beat by our Steelers. We stayed in the Hyatt Place, which sits between Heinz Field and PNC Park.

Tailgaters were all throughout the parking lot immediately behind the Hyatt, as well as the lots between there and Heinz. There were cars, pickups, campers, even busses. Look at it on Google Maps.

I suggest getting there early. It fills up!

The tailgaters were living large. It was COLD but we all had a great time.

I’m not sure how I feel about the NFL this season, because of the whole Anthem / kneeling thing, but if it gets worked out I am thinking of going in 2019 with the boys and our RV.

Have fun! That’s a great gift to your wife!

We went to a game last year, and unless you are able to fit your camper in a regular parking spot they don’t allow campers. If you are interested, here is my review, we are trying to get to all the stadiums.

https://traversity.wordpress.com/201...ield-11-26-17/
Old 04-25-2018, 12:01 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35C
THOR #3761
We went last year for the Packers/Steelers game. Lots of tailgating but zero parking near the stadium for RVs. We had to stay at a KOA about 30 minutes away and drive to a parking lot. I recommend you reserve a parking spot prior to going, there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of space that isn’t already claimed nearby.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #5

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
We went last year for the Packers/Steelers game. Lots of tailgating but zero parking near the stadium for RVs. We had to stay at a KOA about 30 minutes away and drive to a parking lot. I recommend you reserve a parking spot prior to going, there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of space that isn’t already claimed nearby.
So best bet is just take the toad and drive into the city for the game?
Old 04-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #6

THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
So best bet is just take the toad and drive into the city for the game?
That was what we found. We have friends who are Steeler fans and they stayed at the Hyatt next to Heinz Field and we just tailgated with them in their lot. You can get parking downtown for your toad and tailgate in the lot, if that works better for you.
FMCA - F457085
Old 04-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #7

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
That was what we found. We have friends who are Steeler fans and they stayed at the Hyatt next to Heinz Field and we just tailgated with them in their lot. You can get parking downtown for your toad and tailgate in the lot, if that works better for you.
I've read the Steelers have a whole section of tailgating they put on themselves. And there seems to be plenty of fun to be had anywhere nearby. I'd rather stay in our RV than a Hyatt any day.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Regarding the grill question, I use the Napoleon 285. It's a bit pricey but well made, light (20 pounds) and has dual burners so I can actually use it as a mini, cross-cooking BBQ smoker also. Very similar to the Weber minis. Adapter uses the 20 and 30# fittings, not the green bottles. I also had hoses made where I can hook it up to the auxiliary gas outlet on the RV. Cooks hot and has heavy cast iron grates.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:31 PM   #9

THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
I've read the Steelers have a whole section of tailgating they put on themselves. And there seems to be plenty of fun to be had anywhere nearby. I'd rather stay in our RV than a Hyatt any day.
I would completely agree about staying in our RV than a Hyatt! The overall experience was great other than being zero RV friendly. Maybe if you had a conversion van, a Class B or a small Class C you won't find a parking spot in any of the lots downtown. As for those who find RVs parked there, those are all season ticket holders with parking permits.
FMCA - F457085
Old 04-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
There's a State Park campground near Gallipolis, OH, Raccoon Creek SP. That might be a possibility if you have your toad. Was there last summer, nice park.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:21 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
One of the closest campgrounds is Mountaintop Campground. I can't tell you anything about it....yet.

We're going to stay there to pick up a Pirates game (that will be stadium 26 of 30 on our tour). I'll be able to comment about it after that
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:12 PM   #12

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
There's a State Park campground near Gallipolis, OH, Raccoon Creek SP. That might be a possibility if you have your toad. Was there last summer, nice park.
Thanks. I'll look up that campground.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #13

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
One of the closest campgrounds is Mountaintop Campground. I can't tell you anything about it....yet.

We're going to stay there to pick up a Pirates game (that will be stadium 26 of 30 on our tour). I'll be able to comment about it after that
Thanks. I'll look up that campground.