Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2018, 06:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #12993
ohio to punta gorda

we are new to rving! heading to punta gouda fl and looking for ideas on routes. do we go I75 and chance jellico mountain or is there another route without mountains? thanks in advance.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
nope

and, I75 is the best and easiest route all the way...
don't let 'mountains' scare you, RVs large and small take them every day with no issues,
all over the country.

I suppose also, you meant RVing, not 'Raving' - that sounds like something for those 'younger' folks : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #3

THOR #12993
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
nope

and, I75 is the best and easiest route all the way...
don't let 'mountains' scare you, RVs large and small take them every day with no issues,
all over the country.

I suppose also, you meant RVing, not 'Raving' - that sounds like something for those 'younger' folks : )

thank you
yes, rving.... silly auto correct!
Old 10-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah I75 is probably the best way. Its not the mountains you really have to worry about on I75; its the trucks and everyone else going that way.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #5

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #13049
Going to Punta Gorda, too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrburnett4 View Post
we are new to rving! heading to punta gouda fl and looking for ideas on routes. do we go I75 and chance jellico mountain or is there another route without mountains? thanks in advance.
As a newbie RVer last spring, I drove my Axis to Ohio from Punta Gorda via I-75. The so-called "mountains", especially Jellico Mountain, wasn't much of a mountain at all. More like a hill if you ask me. You shouldn't have any problems. I didn't and I'm a 65 year old single lady who had never driven an RV before.

What part of Ohio are you starting from? I'm in Mogadore, just outside of Akron, and will be going down I-71 until just before Cincinnati, where I'll jog around and catch 75. Try to avoid Cincinnati, the interstates there are just about undriveable!! They don't have pot-holes, they have craters. Huge ones the moon would be proud of. At least they did last spring. Columbus is no picnic either, especially on the south side.

Atlanta is a traffic nightmare any time of the day, except for maybe 3 am. I plan on going I-285 east around the city, since most of the semi's take the western leg (they can't drive directly through the city).

I'm spending the winter in Punta Gorda, leaving Ohio a week from today. Looking forward to much WARMER weather!!

Happy trails and have a safe trip!!
Old 10-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
DNS

Model: Challenger 37GT
THOR #2222
We've made the trip from just North of Columbus to Disney about a dozen times. I pick up 75 to get through Cincinnati too. If we leave on a weekend I'll go right through Atlanta. Traffic isn't so bad on the weekend.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
and as with Cinci, I never take the 'bypass', or as Atlanta names it, the 'perimeter', as they are just as clogged and just add a lot of extra miles to your time - neither are 'bypassing' much of anything!

I75 thru both Cinci and Atlanta is the best route, bar none, at the right TIME of day: between 10am and 2pm. Any other times are a crap shoot.

While Cinci doesn't have the HOV lanes that Atlanta does, passing thru Atlanta in the HOV lane requires NO turns, NO stops, and NO problems - RVs are just as welcomed as any other vehicle. Breeze thru town, don't try to 'bypass' anything!

I know, we've lived in and traveling thru Georgia and Atlanta all our lives, and recently put Cincinnati in that same mix - though it has yet to get any HOV lanes.

Knoxville can be a slow point, and a little confusing, especially on the way NORTH thru town in order to 'stay' on I75, but just watch the signage and make the correct exits. Like any other larger metro area, the 10am to 2pm rule works pretty well for all of these areas, especially on weekends. Or, you could go thru at 1a.m. : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
We drop rocks from bridges on RV's that poke along in the HOV lanes through Atlanta.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #9

THOR #12993
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
and as with Cinci, I never take the 'bypass', or as Atlanta names it, the 'perimeter', as they are just as clogged and just add a lot of extra miles to your time - neither are 'bypassing' much of anything!

I75 thru both Cinci and Atlanta is the best route, bar none, at the right TIME of day: between 10am and 2pm. Any other times are a crap shoot.

While Cinci doesn't have the HOV lanes that Atlanta does, passing thru Atlanta in the HOV lane requires NO turns, NO stops, and NO problems - RVs are just as welcomed as any other vehicle. Breeze thru town, don't try to 'bypass' anything!

I know, we've lived in and traveling thru Georgia and Atlanta all our lives, and recently put Cincinnati in that same mix - though it has yet to get any HOV lanes.

Knoxville can be a slow point, and a little confusing, especially on the way NORTH thru town in order to 'stay' on I75, but just watch the signage and make the correct exits. Like any other larger metro area, the 10am to 2pm rule works pretty well for all of these areas, especially on weekends. Or, you could go thru at 1a.m. : )
we have decided to go drive I75 o through atlanta on saturday morning.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #10

THOR #12993
Smile

[QUOTE=Motoko;149681]As a newbie RVer last spring, I drove my Axis to Ohio from Punta Gorda via I-75. The so-called "mountains", especially Jellico Mountain, wasn't much of a mountain at all. More like a hill if you ask me. You shouldn't have any problems. I didn't and I'm a 65 year old single lady who had never driven an RV before.

What part of Ohio are you starting from? I'm in Mogadore, just outside of Akron, and will be going down I-71 until just before Cincinnati, where I'll jog around and catch 75. Try to avoid Cincinnati, the interstates there are just about undriveable!! They don't have pot-holes, they have craters. Huge ones the moon would be proud of. At least they did last spring. Columbus is no picnic either, especially on the south side.

Atlanta is a traffic nightmare any time of the day, except for maybe 3 am. I plan on going I-285 east around the city, since most of the semi's take the western leg (they can't drive directly through the city).

I'm spending the winter in Punta Gorda, leaving Ohio a week from today. Looking forward to much WARMER weather!!

Happy trails and have a safe trip!![/QUOTE

motoko: thank you, we are pending the winter at sun n shade on tamiami trail in punta gorda, is that close to you? we are both 63.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:41 PM   #11

THOR #12993
motoko: we are both 63. we will be spending the winter sun n shade on tamiami trail in punta gorda. is that close to you?
Old 10-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #12

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
THOR #13049
RV stay in Punta Gorda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrburnett4 View Post
motoko: we are both 63. we will be spending the winter sun n shade on tamiami trail in punta gorda. is that close to you?
I'm staying at Gulf View on Burnt Store Road close to US 41. You are a couple of miles south on 41, not too far.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:43 AM   #13

Model: ACE 30.4
State: Michigan
THOR #13168
Hi pmrburnette,

We will be down at Sun n Shade from the 20th of Jan until the 20th of February.

We stayed at Sun n Shade for a few days around Memorial Day a few years ago. It was almost empty at that time of the year. With the exception of the month there we usually move every couple of weeks or so.

Hope to run into you while we’re there. We’ll be on site 19 out near the front of the park.

Bill and Penny