Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 179
THOR #11784
Lightbulb Thor Vegas Awning Idea

While camping last week, I noticed somebody with an awning like mine tied one end to the picnic bench and the other to a large stake in the ground. Since my awning is so large, I am always afraid of the large wind storm while we're away or while we are sleeping so I always roll it in. However, I'm wondering if the engineering is strong enough to handle the weather if the tie downs are used?
__________________

__________________
RVMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 1,191
THOR #6411
If you have the typical CofC Latitude patio awning, it has an auto retract feature. Tying it to anything could cause damage to the awning. That is a warning in the operator's manual which is available on-line if your coach did not come with one.
__________________

__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 7,890
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMichael View Post
While camping last week, I noticed somebody with an awning like mine tied one end to the picnic bench and the other to a large stake in the ground. Since my awning is so large, I am always afraid of the large wind storm while we're away or while we are sleeping so I always roll it in. However, I'm wondering if the engineering is strong enough to handle the weather if the tie downs are used?
I'd guess: No. A big wind would come along and rip the awning out of the side of the camper and all your tie downs would remain secure!
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 7,890
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
If you have the typical CofC Latitude patio awning, it has an auto retract feature. Tying it to anything could cause damage to the awning. That is a warning in the operator's manual which is available on-line if your coach did not come with one.
Depends on what year Vegas. Our 2014 Axis has the CofC awning but no auto retract.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 179
THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
If you have the typical CofC Latitude patio awning, it has an auto retract feature. Tying it to anything could cause damage to the awning. That is a warning in the operator's manual which is available on-line if your coach did not come with one.
First I have heard (or remember hearing) of an auto awning retraction. I'm thinking (if I actually do have it) it is an extra safety feature and should still retract the awning if I am away and at night, especially in Florida during the summer. Thoughts?
__________________
RVMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 179
THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I'd guess: No. A big wind would come along and rip the awning out of the side of the camper and all your tie downs would remain secure!
This makes sense and one less thing to buy.
__________________
RVMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
sage's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
Posts: 174
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Like Jamie's my 2016 doesn't have the auto retract either. I'm considering having it installed and have been told it would be around $500, parts and labor. Wondering if anyone has done this and what your results were? Also wondering how well this system works on the newer models?
__________________
sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 1,191
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
Like Jamie's my 2016 doesn't have the auto retract either. I'm considering having it installed and have been told it would be around $500, parts and labor. Wondering if anyone has done this and what your results were? Also wondering how well this system works on the newer models?
The auto retract function is a plugin module for the Latitude patio awning.

R060686-003 Sensor/Control Module, Direct Response from $138.07
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:09 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Storm 32V - pre
State: Alabama
Posts: 1,457
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The auto retract function is a plugin module for the Latitude patio awning.

R060686-003 Sensor/Control Module, Direct Response from $138.07


Have you tried the module?
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:36 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Mr Sunshine's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
Posts: 1,816
THOR #1589
Our 2016 Vegas doesn't have that auto retract feature, but even if it did I wouldn't leave the awning out unless I am under it or near it. I had the unfortunate experience of losing an awning in a thunderstorm while my family was in the camper. It would not have mattered what you had tied it down with that night, the only way to have saved it would have been rolling it in. That's a mistake I won't make twice!
__________________
Lessons are repeated until learned. Fast learners get extra rewards!
Mr Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:38 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Long & Winding road's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
Posts: 1,990
THOR #12231
On the Axis/Vegas the auto retract is only on the 2018 / 19 models with the "armless" awnings.

If yours has the arms attached to the side of the RV then adding a couple of ropes with straps might be a good idea.

But I would still retract at night or if you know a storm is coming.
__________________
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, Fresh water surge tank, Black Tank Tornado flush, 4999 zip ties.
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:39 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 7,890
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The auto retract function is a plugin module for the Latitude patio awning.

R060686-003 Sensor/Control Module, Direct Response from $138.07
Our Axis doesn't have the Latitude model shown in the diagram on the link.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:20 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 179
THOR #11784
I've got a 2018 Vegas with the horizontal scissor arms. I'm thinking it should retract automatically, but I've never seen it retract on it's own. I do try to keep it in if the winds are strong or a storm is approaching, etc.

Anybody know of a good way to test the automatic function?
__________________
RVMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 7,890
THOR #1150
Just push the awning tube up and down by about 6" or 8"--if you can't reach it use a broom. It should retract if you have the option.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 179
THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Just push the awning tube up and down by about 6" or 8"--if you can't reach it use a broom. It should retract if you have the option.
It seems like it's bounced that much in a wind, but I will make a purposeful test next time it's out and let you know. Thanks.

BTW, there is a definite slope (maybe 12 inches) of the awning to the rear of the RV. It thought it may be engineered that way to have any rain be drained away from the door. Is this true or is something not correct with my awning.
__________________
RVMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 7,890
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMichael View Post
It seems like it's bounced that much in a wind, but I will make a purposeful test next time it's out and let you know. Thanks.

BTW, there is a definite slope (maybe 12 inches) of the awning to the rear of the RV. It thought it may be engineered that way to have any rain be drained away from the door. Is this true or is something not correct with my awning.
That side to side angle is adjustable and yes that is the intent: to allow water to drain off in the rain.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 179
THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That side to side angle is adjustable and yes that is the intent: to allow water to drain off in the rain.
Nice video. Thanks. All I have to do now is check the auto retract.
__________________

__________________
RVMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2