Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
Picking up new Toad setup today....any advice?

So, finally got the Jeep Wrangler set up with the tow package. So, having never towed anything before.....are there any special driving technique? Turns wide, ......anything? All I get from people is, oh you will not even know it is back there!

Appreciate any input or experiences
Cheers, Tom

San Antonio, Tx
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah wide turns and when passing keep in mind you'll have an extra 20' or so. Try not to panic stop (not like you did any more with the RV to begin with LOL).

Watch your rear view mirrors/rear camera as you turn so you can get the feel for how its tracking (and how much wider you have to turn so the toad misses the curb).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Don't back up! The jeep will likely track near the same line as the rear wheels.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:22 PM   #4

State: California
THOR #937
Yes, you will not even know it's back there!
.......Until you run into or over something by making a turn too sharp!

It's no different than your regular motorhome experience, (you may feel the extra weight when climbing a hill). I think that pulling a toad actually improves the ride on my F53 chassis motorhome, (it feels much less "squirrely"). I also like to keep my rear view camera turned on while driving, just to see if it's actually still there, (or on fire, damaged, etc).
Old 10-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
THOR #1793
I copied the tow set up/disconnect procedures from Jeep Owners Manual onto a laminated sheet. Fits in seat back great.

Oh yeah, procedure pauses to hook up toad...don't forget to finish last items....RELEASE PARKING BRAKE.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #6

THOR #1599
Hey guys, thanks for the tips.......excited to give it a drive later today!
San Antonio, Tx
Old 10-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
We tow a Jeep Liberty and I really don't feel that I have to turn wide. Someone mentioned already "Don't back up". One final item that we ran into. We have the BlueOx Patriot brake controller and on our first time out we set it too close to the seat. At some point it pushed just enough on the brake pedal to turn on the brake lights of the Liberty. When we got to our destination the battery was dead. (Didn't help that we had a weak battery to start.)
Old 10-09-2015, 12:56 AM   #8

THOR #1599
Well, a little bit of trepidation for nothing!! piece of cake...nobody flipped me off or honked (more than usual) LOL....and if i did not look at my rear camera....really, don't know it is there....it tracks well behind my MH, so no changes in my driving habits, and easy on and off. I'm super happy with it! Blue Ox tow bar, and Duo stay in place break hardwired into the Jeep!!
Thanks all!
Cheers, Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0870.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	431.0 KB
ID:	910   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0869 (1).jpg
Views:	377
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	911  

Name:	IMG_0868.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0871.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	913  

San Antonio, Tx
Old 10-09-2015, 02:36 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
You'll be fine as long as you remember it is back there, and as already mentioned twice, DON"T BACK UP! Only once, in many years of towing, did I have to stop and unhook the toad because of a huge rock on a right turn. I couldn't see it until it appeared in my mirror.
Voice of experience says, beware of dead end roads. Tried that (twice), and was lucky enough to find a place wide enough to make a U turn without unhooking! Always be thinking ahead when you pick a gas station or restaurant or even a big parking lot. Choose the pump or parking that leaves you the easiest way out.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:34 PM   #10

Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
I have the same setup (Blue Ox) for my Jeep Wrangler and I love it! Can connect and disconnect in under two minutes, and You don't have to worry about pulling up exactly right to hook up because the bar lengths adjust. When pulling the Wrangler behind my Challenger I can't even tell it's back there. It tracks well and I haven't really had to change any driving habits except to add a little more distance when changing lanes.
2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #11

THOR #1599
Yes, I was surprised how simple it is.....takes almost longer to read the direction to put the Jeep in neutral!
San Antonio, Tx
Old 12-27-2015, 01:31 AM   #12
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I have a similar setup - 2014 Hurricane (32) and 2010 Jeep Wrangler... Using the Falcon All Terrain towbar, Invisibrake wired in Jeep, and Mopar OEM Wiring harness to run the toad taillights from MH...

3000+ miles towing so far - I do notice the extra weight on acceleration and hills (definitely downshifts more).. Don't notice at all on stopping - the Invisibrake seems to handle the Jeep portion very well.

I'd add some thoughts for towing:
Use the tow/haul mode on the MH especially if in hilly area... Adjusts shift points - but also downshifts on deceleration to use engine braking for the pair.

Don't forget that towed miles count toward wear on toad's brakes and tires.. I tow with Jeep battery (positive) disconnected - Invisibrake wired to battery and MH charging toad battery (via OEM harness) - no miles rack up on Jeep - but do need to watch the wear.

I added a Tire Minder for the last 1000 miles - for both the MH and toad (10 wheels). Nice to know if something goes wrong on toad when you can't always see it behind you (yes - I normally keep the rear cam on - but then there is the Jensen 'blank screen' problem I am wrestling with... ) plus the protection for MH as well. Except for a road hazzard - there should be a pressure and/or temp change before a blowout.

Hope it helps...
Old 12-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Read your toad's owners manual (recreational towing section) and check out what - if anything - needs to be done with your vehicle to prepare it for towing. Typically you have to put the vehicle/transfer case in neutral, but perhaps also you will need to remove a fuse or two.

Every vehicle is different - but most have some specific steps you need to take.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #14

THOR #1052
I also tow a Wrangler with my 30.1. No supplemental braking at this point as coach brakes provide more than adequate stopping power for mostly flatland trips. The coach does require more throttle to merge onto highway and when taking off from a complete stop. The Wrangler is a great toad you can really not even tell it is back there most of the time. The Blue OX Alpha is phenomenal..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7241.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1197  
Old 12-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #15

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
have any of you JEEP drivers weighed your JEEPs to get actual real world numbers? How heavy was it?

I've toyed with the idea of replacing my pickup with a JEEP so that I would have something I could tow, but I have a 5,000# limit

My E-450 is already heavy so I don't want to push it over too much.

and I'm a pick-up guy so I haven't completely settled in with the idea.
I have 3 kids so I'm thinking that limits my choices a bit... seating for 5.

I don't know... just food for thought....
Old 12-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #16

THOR #1944
My 2012 Sahara 2dr 2 seat auto weighed in at just about 4200lb (without rear seat). A previous '99 TJ manual sport also w/hardtop was quite a bit less weight.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #17

Model: SOB
State: Colorado
THOR #2733
I've just started the process of setting up a dinghy towing package for our Axis. Does anyone have any thoughts on the type of protection for stones, rocks, etc hitting the toad?

Not sure if the mega plastic shield in front of the car is over kill. Anyone have any experience with this issue?
Old 12-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #18
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
have any of you JEEP drivers weighed your JEEPs to get actual real world numbers? How heavy was it?

I've toyed with the idea of replacing my pickup with a JEEP so that I would have something I could tow, but I have a 5,000# limit

My E-450 is already heavy so I don't want to push it over too much.

and I'm a pick-up guy so I haven't completely settled in with the idea.
I have 3 kids so I'm thinking that limits my choices a bit... seating for 5.

I don't know... just food for thought....
2010 Jeep Wrangler Islander 2 door soft top has GVWR (max weight) of 4900... So even FULLY loaded would be just under your 5000 lbs. But with seating for 5 - you are likely looking at the 4 door version I would guess.

I still expect the unloaded weight would stay under 5000 - just some care in what you pack in the Jeep. I hang a bike rack on the back - but otherwise keep it pretty empty/light.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The FMCA 2015 Towing Guide for Jeep has the approximate curb weights ranging from 3107 for the Compass (manual transmission only) to 4677 for the Grand Cherokee.

The Wrangler is 3760 and Wrangler Unlimited is 4075. There are transmission and transfer case limitations on the Jeeps that can be flat towed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:16 PM   #20

THOR #1944
The curb weight published and the weight at the scale on both my Wranglers were quite different! I just figured adding doors and a hardtop made the weight go up.

Seriously... know "real" weight NOT what somebody tells you or is read somewhere. It's quite easy to drive a rig to a local scale and find out how much it really weighs. Here's one of my scale results with less than half a tank of gas in my jeep without rear seat (see trailer axel weight).

Estimate 10gal of fuel to fill it up would be about 60lbs