Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31Z
State: New Jersey
THOR #14101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
We have this dog pen. The photo shows just one, but we usually link 2 of these together to give the dogs more room. They are pretty heavy though, and probably overkill for our dogs, who would probably stay inside a pen that was only 2 ft. high.

We've never had an issue with setting up the pen at a campground. Our dogs rarely bark, and they are really only in the pen when we are outside anyway.

We sometimes use tethers when we don't want to pack or set up the pen, but they always seem to get tangled around something.

Mine will not go past those little wire fences you push into the ground, but wouldn't trust that on the road. Those pens are heavy duty!! The ones I got are made of the same stuff metal crates are made of, and at 30" high, I am thinking more than enough for my little mongrels . LOL

Old 01-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #22

THOR #14101
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Sundays at campgrounds should be the day where big people have to sit in those little pens all day with a noose around their neck while the dogs get to run around and play.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA Agreed
Old 01-12-2019, 08:36 PM   #23

State: Florida
THOR #4075
Custom lightweight pens and crates for small dogs

SeabreezePetitePens.com
They are a small company and will do custom sizes for you. I have several sizes and use them at home and when traveling. Lightweight, yet quite sturdy. I use my Vegas to go to agility dog competitions and many people there use the Seabreeze products to create a fence around the door of your RV. To keep the dogs from going under the coach, cut lengths of plastic lattice and secure with stakes and plastic ties. You can make your yard as big as you like and shade with your awning. Seabreeze can create a gate wherever you like in your panels.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tradition
State: Minnesota
THOR #4329
Dog pens

What you are looking for is called an x-pen, they can be purchased from Petsmart, etc they are easy to carry as are 2’wide panels with 8 panels in a pen. Heights range from12 “ to 60” tall. i have found the metal ones from Precision weigh less than the plastic ones and are easier to handle. i carry 5-6 and link them together with clips. Several have doors which allows me to arrange in campsite and be able to get in and out of enclosure. Generally setup is under awning. They fold up and store in storage bay in my 5thwheel front compartment.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:50 AM   #25

Model: ACE 29.3
State: North Carolina
THOR #6098
That is the rule where I am for the winter. Very few in compliance.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #26

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
My wife and I use X-pens. We have 3 Irish Setters. What I did was rip on pvc pipe to fit over the top of the x-pens then zip tie them on. That way when the dogs jump on the sides everything stays in place. I was walking around a dog show a lone time ago and that is how some of the folks had their pens set up. Man....wish I could say it was my idea.....
Old 01-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #27

THOR #14101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise View Post
What you are looking for is called an x-pen, they can be purchased from Petsmart, etc they are easy to carry as are 2’wide panels with 8 panels in a pen. Heights range from12 “ to 60” tall. i have found the metal ones from Precision weigh less than the plastic ones and are easier to handle. i carry 5-6 and link them together with clips. Several have doors which allows me to arrange in campsite and be able to get in and out of enclosure. Generally setup is under awning. They fold up and store in storage bay in my 5thwheel front compartment.

I purchased 5, 8 panel x-pens.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #28

THOR #14101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
My wife and I use X-pens. We have 3 Irish Setters. What I did was rip on pvc pipe to fit over the top of the x-pens then zip tie them on. That way when the dogs jump on the sides everything stays in place. I was walking around a dog show a lone time ago and that is how some of the folks had their pens set up. Man....wish I could say it was my idea.....

hahahahahahahahahaha, if you didn't tell us, we wouldn't have know it wasn't your idea.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:05 PM   #29

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard2112 View Post
hahahahahahahahahaha, if you didn't tell us, we wouldn't have know it wasn't your idea.
Hey Lizzard2112; I ditched my boxer's fences bc so far most of the places we've stopped at don't allow any kind of fencing, so hey jus took up limited storage space. You might find he same problem, but hopefully not.

It hasn't been much of a hassle for me since Radar's a well trained mobility service dog & seldom leaves my side - but in the few cases so far where he just seems to want to enjoy some rare sunshine (& wasn't on "work"), I've resorted to using the ACE's pet hook or whatever it's called with a 10 foot lead.

If I havta leave him alone for some reason, he goes in his kennel, which resides on the bottom bunk.Click image for larger version

Name:	1549821891023.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	15625Click image for larger version

Name:	1549821938238.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	15626
Old 02-10-2019, 06:14 PM   #30

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Girl View Post
Hey Lizzard2112; I ditched my boxer's fences bc so far most of the places we've stopped at don't allow any kind of fencing, so hey jus took up limited storage space. You might find he same problem, but hopefully not.

It hasn't been much of a hassle for me since Radar's a well trained mobility service dog & seldom leaves my side - but in the few cases so far where he just seems to want to enjoy some rare sunshine (& wasn't on "work"), I've resorted to using the ACE's pet hook or whatever it's called with a 10 foot lead.

If I havta leave him alone for some reason, he goes in his kennel, which resides on the bottom bunk.Attachment 15625Attachment 15626
Oh, here is an image of the pens i used off Amazon. They aren't metal, just plastic. I used plain old tent stakes to keep them secure against his weight, which is about 65 lbs so far. I got them as soon as they decided he was the dog they'd pair w/me for when he had a sleep aways w/me during that 1st yr of training to assidt our bonding. Yeah, probably an unsual practice for sd's in training, but it was a pvt group & it turned out to be great!Click image for larger version

Name:	180610_024853_65.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	15627
Old 02-10-2019, 10:47 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
He looks pretty darn happy with his new accommodations!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:13 PM   #32

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
He looks pretty darn happy with his new accommodations!
Yep, he's getting real comfortable. He got a lil too used to sleepin under me when we were both freezing this past month, now he doesn't want to use his kennel at nite, but agreeing to 2 yrs of kennel at nite was a mandatory requirement w/his trainers bc apparently he starts thinkin he's in charge if allowed to sleep next to me (& this month of freezin temps proved they were right, so we're workin on dominance issues for a bit...).

Radar has no trouble pulling me up the rv stairs & then stays right behind me so I can lean on him goin down the stairs. I thought he'd have trouble changin from regular staircases where going down he stayed right at my side to the behind position bc of how narrow rv stairs are - but he's a trooper - no problem whatsoever.

He's still a bit skittish around big rigs & the truck stops, but that's gettin better all the time - I don't think his trainers ever thought bein around big rigs would be a job requirement! He's really given me a chance to do some things that before I thought I'd never do again, or was a bit leery of if tryin new things w/this leg, but now I know the worse that can happen is a fall & he can definitely get me back on my feet.

He's a great help, indispensable, in setting up & tearin down my rv camps. I use him to get up & down from hookin up my plumbin & such, & that turned out to be an easy crossover from his falls training, he's jus amazing! This a pix of him in my ol Subaru that Im tryin to get sold so I can get somethin that can tow flat - I don't think it's a good idea for me to try to wrestle w/a dolly. I'd rather do something a lil more plug n play so to speak.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180920_161451.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	15628
Old 02-10-2019, 11:39 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If you could just teach him to dump the black and gray water tanks...
Old 02-10-2019, 11:56 PM   #34

THOR #13770
Quote:
Yeah I wish! Babysteps...or paws...
Old 02-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #35

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:

H does that very well already...his just happens to be different than yours...they're "built-in" Thus...the many roadside...walk around forever smelling the ground, looking at you like you're crazy, "I ain't gonna do it yet because soon as I do we're headed back in that camper" moments.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I do that also... it REALLY ticks off the Missus!
Old 02-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #37

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
H does that very well already...his just happens to be different than yours...they're "built-in" Thus...the many roadside...walk around forever smelling the ground, looking at you like you're crazy, "I ain't gonna do it yet because soon as I do we're headed back in that camper" moments.
Sounds like you've seen my boxer boy when he's on "free" & wants outside in the middle of the night or oh dark thirty, but instead of doing his business & gettin back inside, he wants to read the local newspapers (what his trainer calls it when an SD wants to jus sniff around - says it's their version of reading the news!). When I get impatient, he jus looks at me like, "what's your major malfunction? You don't see me acting that way all day while I'm on 'work', this is my time"...
Old 02-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #38

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Girl View Post
Sounds like you've seen my boxer boy when he's on "free" & wants outside in the middle of the night or oh dark thirty, but instead of doing his business & gettin back inside, he wants to read the local newspapers (what his trainer calls it when an SD wants to jus sniff around - says it's their version of reading the news!). When I get impatient, he jus looks at me like, "what's your major malfunction? You don't see me acting that way all day while I'm on 'work', this is my time"...

Haven't seen him but have two labs...dogs are dogs. The older one "Bugsie" will fake a "gotta poop" just to get me to pull over.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote