Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2016, 02:11 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #4397
Traveling with Cats in Carlesbad, NM

My wife and I just rented a 2016 Vegas 24.1 and will be going to Carlsbad Caverns. We will not be taking a toad for this trip.

So my question is should we drive to the National Park, park in the RV section and leave the generator and air conditioning on for the cats while we tour the caverns? Or should we leave the RV at the campground hooked up to electricity for the day, taking a cab or shuttle bus or something from the RV park to the National Park?

Our last RV trip three years ago we went to Yellowstone for 3 weeks, and we just rented a car there leaving the cats in RV at Campground.

Thanks for your advice!

Old 06-25-2016, 03:51 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Sorry not much help, but I'd left the cats at home!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:40 AM   #3
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
My wife and I just rented a 2016 Vegas 24.1 and will be going to Carlsbad Caverns. We will not be taking a toad for this trip.

So my question is should we drive to the National Park, park in the RV section and leave the generator and air conditioning on for the cats while we tour the caverns? Or should we leave the RV at the campground hooked up to electricity for the day, taking a cab or shuttle bus or something from the RV park to the National Park?

Our last RV trip three years ago we went to Yellowstone for 3 weeks, and we just rented a car there leaving the cats in RV at Campground.

Thanks for your advice!
We travel with our cat .. Keeping in mind that this year ALL National Parks are celebrating the 100th Anniversary of National Parks. We returned 2 weeks ago from Utah and Arizona and found all the National Parks packed ! and if you don't have reservations you will not have a camping space and possibly not have a parking space.
Personally, we would leave the motorhome at the RV park, plugged in to shore power and find a shuttle to Carlsbad. It has been many years since we have been to Carlsbad, ... if you plan to take the complete tour through the Caverns, unless things have changed, it takes 2-3 hours.
Have a GREAT trip !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:40 AM   #4

THOR #4397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Sorry not much help, but I'd left the cats at home!
Nope, cats gotta come along! We have change our whole lives around our furry little overlords!
Old 06-28-2016, 07:05 AM   #5

THOR #4397
So we rented our 2016 Vegas 24.1 on Friday. Spent most of Saturday packing it up. My wife said that all this stuff would never fit ... it did with room to spare! We then drove it from Houston to Kerrville were we boondocked at a rest stop. We drove to the Carlesbad KOA Campground on Sunday. We spent today at the caverns and just rented a car from Enterprise ... keeping the cats nice and safe with the RV plugged in at the KOA.

During this short trip we have made a few observations:

- The ride is very smooth compared to the 26 ft class C Sunseeker we had rented before. I think our rental has the Ford 450 (instead of the 350). It seems to be well aligned. Both my wife and I were able to take naps in the beds while the other drove ... in the Sunseeker the bedroon was always bumpy and evrmerything was very noisey.

- It is much easier for a tall person (like me) to move around in. I don't have to crawl into the cockpit with my bad back.

I will think of more things to say about this rental later ... this is enough for now.

Happy driving!
Old 06-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #6

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
ERA,

While at Carlsbad Caverns look on the map and just a bit North and West is "Sitting Bull Falls", less than 1 hour away. A beautiful Waterfall with a "Mico-Eco System" out in the middle of nowhere! Must have been a big suprise for the first cowboy to discover that Natural beauty!

Sitting Bull Falls - Visit Carlsbad New Mexico
carlsbadnewmexico.com/place/sitting-bull-falls/

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratosthenese
The ride is very smooth compared to the 26 ft class C Sunseeker we had rented before. I think our rental has the Ford 450 (instead of the 350). It seems to be well aligned. Both my wife and I were able to take naps in the beds while the other drove ... in the Sunseeker the bedroon was always bumpy and evrmerything was very noisey.
Check the VIN it is likely the Axis rental is also on an E450 chassis.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote