Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2019, 09:56 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation 24ST
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7565
I rigged up a booster for Ferguson's car seat and secure it with straps. He loves it and has a great view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kohler 2017 Ferguson's ready to roll.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	18681  

Old 07-06-2019, 06:12 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #3317
Dogs love riding along

We have 3 dogs and they do love to be in the front seat to see. Otherwise they are on the couch or between the seats. We have a toy hauler, so when we stop and have to leave them in the RV, they have their own area and their own A/C unit in the back. There are windows in the back for them to look out as well. We put a sign on the front dash letting people know to call us if they are worried but that our dogs have their own climate control inside. You don't want people thinking your pups are dying of heatstroke inside.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:50 PM   #23
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
We have 2 golden retrievers in an fe30, fulltime. They love our rv life. As long as you stop for their potty time they are very comfortable. Our 2 queenies lay on the sofa and sleep!
Old 07-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #24

State: Florida
THOR #4075
Always crate my dogs

I would never travel in a car or RV without having my dogs in a sturdy secured crate. I use my Vegas to go to dog agility competitions. I know of too many cases of accidents where dogs are thrown around the cabin and injured or ran out a door or other opening into traffic or off into the woods. There are many containment systems available these days. Would you let a child ride without a car seat or safety belt?

Pam in Florida
Old 07-06-2019, 08:09 PM   #25

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #9109
We have a 12 lb Morkie (Maltese and Yorkshire mix). ZZ Dog rides in my wife's seat with her. If I am traveling by myself he rides on the sofa. One thing we have noted is that when traveling in the mountains out west, some of the higher elevations bother the dog. I expect his ears hurt. Anyone got any suggestions?
Old 07-06-2019, 09:20 PM   #26

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: California
THOR #3430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
THAT is a terrific ideal! I’ll be using the disposable key tags on Max’s collar hereafter. Such a simple idea!
Yeah This is a great idea. I had my dog go into a bunch of bushes just after I had got him. He was chipped but he didn't have any tags on yet and I was frantic. It was dark and fortunately my neighbor had a tactical flashlight the dog was alerted by the flashlight and came when I called him. As soon as I got back home I got tags on him and put my cell phone number and his name on the tag.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:31 AM   #27

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky/John View Post
I rigged up a booster for Ferguson's car seat and secure it with straps. He loves it and has a great view.
Our dogs love RVing. No matter if we are moving or parked they always go to their spotsClick image for larger version

Name:	20190706_172509.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	18766Click image for larger version

Name:	20190706_172459.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	18767
Old 07-07-2019, 10:24 PM   #28

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Three cats are in crates secured in the living area of the coach. The pup rides on the floor between the two front seats. Ours are all micro chipped with ID on collars.

When we get to a campground we use disposable key tags (the round type) and write our campsite number and phone number on the tags. This is in case someone wanders (hasn't happened, but just in case). These tags are then attached to their collars until we depart that campground.
We attach a short leash to our pups when out of the RV. The other end is attached to me. They take me for a walk and bring me back to the campsite every time. Since mine are all tiny I also carry a stun gun for the wayward meany dog that wants to hurt them. Most dog owners are great wonderful furry children owners, but there are those few with the sense of Gomer Pyle on Full Metal Jacket.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #29
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Three cats are in crates secured in the living area of the coach. The pup rides on the floor between the two front seats. Ours are all micro chipped with ID on collars.

When we get to a campground we use disposable key tags (the round type) and write our campsite number and phone number on the tags. This is in case someone wanders (hasn't happened, but just in case). These tags are then attached to their collars until we depart that campground.
I forgot to mention that the dog is always on a leash when outside the coach and the cats are always inside. The statement about "wandering" is if one managed to sneak outside the door when we are trying to get back in or the rare times when a lease breaks (it does happen due to lack of leash quality control).
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #30

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
I forgot to mention that the dog is always on a leash when outside the coach and the cats are always inside. The statement about "wandering" is if one managed to sneak outside the door when we are trying to get back in or the rare times when a lease breaks (it does happen due to lack of leash quality control).

Yes we should start a thread about poor leash QC in case they are made by Thor[emoji3]....
Old 07-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #31

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #13371
Thumbs up Border Collie's on the road

We have 2 Border Collie (9yo & 12yo) and they love camping; starting whining as we're packing - afraid they'll be left. Agree - they always jump in the front seat when available (the younger one even tries for the dash with no success). Under protest the younger one will lay on the sofa, but the older must stay up front and watch the road with my husband.

Suggestions: give each one their own bed and food/water bowls. Have plenty of balls and toys for the dog parks. We always try to give them a good workout/run each day. Also ours have Doggy Backpacks for when we hike - they carry their own water, bowls & poop bags.

Make sure you have spare collars and leashes - we've had several break or get lost along the way. Also have a tick remover (you can buy one at WalMart in the pharmacy area "Tick Tornado" or at Tractor Supply they have a metal version). They have picked some ticks up that we've had to carefully remove. Make sure you have tick/flea meds current for them. Also recommend either using bottled water or bottle some water from home - some of the water while traveling has upset their tummies. Also load extra towels for dog washes.

Hope yours have as much fun as ours.
Debbie P
2016 Thor Challenger 37KT
Old 07-10-2019, 03:03 AM   #32

THOR #3972
Here’s how Charlie and Lily travel

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1562727308
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB775CC5-86F7-4EBF-8002-025F9BB80152.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	18845  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #33

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
We used RV with a pair of English Sheppards (not so intense Border Collie)70 lb male and 35 lb female. We generally crated both on road. Otherwise they were free to roam and counter surf. Boy loved passenger seat after nosing open curtain. Girl loves dash or my side of bed.

Now after passing of boy from old age, the girl is tethered to couch or passenger seat pedastal. Both dogs love riding in RV and would go in whenever door opened. Even when boys legs failing he would manage to get up steps and stare waiting to go somewhere.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm trying to not get too "Preachy" here...
A lot of the furry kids that I'm seeing; aren't secured to their seats...
They really should be tethered; when the RV is in motion.
If something ugly occurred: they'd be a furry projectile inside a food blender!

(Off my soapbox... sorry!)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #35

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'm trying to not get too "Preachy" here...

A lot of the furry kids that I'm seeing; aren't secured to their seats...

They really should be tethered; when the RV is in motion.

If something ugly occurred: they'd be a furry projectile inside a food blender!

(Off my soapbox... sorry!)

That’s not wrong, for sure. Had a hard brake application while our little guy was walking and he came sliding up the floor to the front on his belly. It was pretty funny except that, of course it wasn’t. Nevertheless he still rides untethered.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #36

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...tml#post192338