Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2016, 02:31 PM   #1

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Walmart

Going to grand canyon. Have 2 dogs. Has anyone really stayed overnight at a Walmart or is this unacceptable.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Call ahead to verify with the manager that it is allowed. Some communities do not allow overnight parking and some Walmart locations have headache bars that prevent large vehicles from entering the parking lot.

Remember the RV Good Neighbor policy as it relates to overnight parking.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:08 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
We have Allstays Camp and RV app. It lists the Walmarts and tells if overnight is allowed and the restrictions. Best of all it gives the phone numbers so you can call ahead and check the restrictions. We have stayed in one Walmart lot with no problems.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:12 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Have stayed in 20+ without any problems
Old 01-31-2016, 04:27 PM   #5

Model: Outlaw 37RB
THOR #3558
Walmart is fine, you'll really only have an issue it the bigger cities...IMHO. Call ahead or use one of the apps.

Cracker Barrel is also good.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:27 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
No problem at Walmarts we have stayed at. Basically a place to sleep and works well and the price is right $0.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:32 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
I ususally go inside and buy something, and ask to speak with the manager to clear it. I also ask where would be the best place to park. At one location, the manager actually hooked me up to a 20a power circuit.
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:35 PM   #8

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Here in my town Wal-Mart has posted no overnight parking signs, must be a city
ruling.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I've done it many times... and they always sell us something... lol
Do have to check/ask - as city ordinances override Walmart general policy. I've always asked.

Can't do it near my home - but as I head south - have used more than a few.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:50 PM   #10

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: Arizona
THOR #368
Have used Walmart many times without issues. Generally, if parking is not allowed it is because of a city ordinance and it should be posted on the light poles. It's common courtesy to go in and make a purchase and ask permission. They will generally tell you where they would like you to park and are usually very welcoming. Pilot and Flying J are also good to spend the night in the back were the big rigs park. It is always best to park out of the way when using a truck stop. We have never had a problem with them either.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #11

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
We have only stayed in one in Tennesee, got there after midnite and joined a couple semi's and MH's that were allready there. Normally for us we need somewhere to stop in Georgia along I-75 for the night. I have checked on a couple web sites and even called and have found no WM's along I-75 that allow overnite parking. If you look at WM's ten or twenty miles from I-75 most do allow ONPing. Jim.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:40 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Only stayed in a Walmart once, in Michigan when we couldn't find a CG with any space. We went in the store, found a manager who directed us to where we had parked, in a row of semis. Later, another RV pulled in behind us. It was a very pleasant experience. Yes, we did buy something in the Walmart.

We usually like to stop at a CG in the afternoon and then do some exploring before supper.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #13
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We stayed at WM in Chattanooga,TN ... ha ! open all night ! right before 4th of July...what a hoot !! Several rigs and other rv's there too.
Also, at WM in LaJunta, CO . There is, always, a couple there.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #14

State: Michigan
THOR #1812
We stay in a lot of Walmarts - generally drive long days and want to get off the highway quick. Never had a problem, although we did find some out west that seemed to have homeless families living in them. We have found that some "no parking" signs were due to use by big trucks - when talking to the manager he said they didn't mind motorhomes- and let us stay there.

We tend to like Flying J better - always up front in the "motorhome" spots. We avoid the back end of truck stops - tends to be a little rough back there - and have found there are truckers who don't appreciate motorhomes much 😡
Old 04-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #15
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan fowler View Post
We stay in a lot of Walmarts - generally drive long days and want to get off the highway quick. Never had a problem, although we did find some out west that seemed to have homeless families living in them. We have found that some "no parking" signs were due to use by big trucks - when talking to the manager he said they didn't mind motorhomes- and let us stay there.

We tend to like Flying J better - always up front in the "motorhome" spots. We avoid the back end of truck stops - tends to be a little rough back there - and have found there are truckers who don't appreciate motorhomes much ��
we parked between 2 big boys at a Flying J ... no problem .. looked soo funny !!
also, many yrs ago when we had our first mh...21' Class B..we parked, surrounded by a few Class A's ... we looked like a toy ! that was ln an RV park
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-23-2016, 02:16 AM   #16

THOR #3770
I am new to this - what is the RV good neighbor policy? kinda like Scouts - always leave the space in better condition than when you got there?
Old 05-23-2016, 02:31 AM   #17
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Leslie View Post
I am new to this - what is the RV good neighbor policy? kinda like Scouts - always leave the space in better condition than when you got there?
Exactly ! that is and always has been our practice !
Enjoy and happy camping !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-23-2016, 08:33 AM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
We don't make it a common practice to stay in Walmarts, but several times last year when the weather turned bad, it was sure nice to pull into one and not have to search for a place to stay. The one in Cody, Wy outside the west entrance to Yellowstone was very nice with an out of the way, quiet place to park. We always ask the manager and often do not pull out our slide. Usually nice RVs and nice people. We always need and buy something at the store. Usually have something in a cart when we talk to the manager. Some towns have ordinances forbidding it, so it is not 100%. But, if the town allows it and you are not in a resort town, I have never been refused. Before RVing I had little use for Walmart. But they are very RV friendly and I appreciate the hospitality and use Walmart a lot more often. Works for me and works for them.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #19

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We have stayed at WM many times on longer road trips. We use the ap RVParky to show us which ones allow, and always go in and ask the manager. We usually buy something, food and supplies can add up to $100! We park where they suggest, and have never had a problem with putting out the slide. Often hear a noisy vacuum truck in the middle of the night, but we prefer that to the noisy refers of the truck stops.

Once I found a broken plumbing J tube in our rig, and walked right into the WM and bought it at 10:30 PM. You won't find that at any campground, but WM had it! It is a great safe place to walk in the early mornings, too!

Cracker Barrel is even better than WM. Have been to some where the RV/Bus parking is quite steep, and the manager has allowed us to park behind the store instead. Again, we always ask the manager, always eat breakfast in the restaurant and sometimes pick up gifts in the store. That RVParky ap tells us which ones allow.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:37 AM   #20
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Leslie View Post
Here is the link to the Good Neighbor Policy as published by Family Motor Coaching Association (FMCA). Escapees and other RV organization have all adopted basically the same policy and worked together in the drafting of the policy.

https://www.fmca.com/motorhome/motor...etiquette.html
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote