Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2017, 10:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
This Weeks Obsession

While at Fort Wilderness I discovered how nice it would be to have a golf cart to get around in. Disney rents them but at $60.00 a day I wasn't interested.

DW has some medical issues so she does well in the parks but can't tolerate much after that.
One of the things I like about our Vegas is it's small size make it easy to get around in so we don't feel the need for a toad.
With that said I really don't want to tow anything , including a small utility trailer with a golf cart.
I looked at some "mini" carts that could be carried on a hitch platform but the market is limited and they are expensive.
What I have settled on is electric bicycles, specifically the Rad Mini by Rad Power Bikes.

It' a folding bike with a 750 watt motor and a 48 volt battery . Minimum range is 20 miles and they will run 20 mph.
To put that in prospective one of the mini golf carts I was looking at features a 1000 watt motor and a 24 volt battery.
Between Disney and Cape Cod ( our normal trips during the year) we expect to get good use out of them.
I have ordered one and if the wife can handle it ok I will order the second right away.

Best part is they can travel on a hitch rack or inside the rv if folded , We will most likely use a rack.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:49 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
While at Fort Wilderness I discovered how nice it would be to have a golf cart to get around in. Disney rents them but at $60.00 a day I wasn't interested.

DW has some medical issues so she does well in the parks but can't tolerate much after that.
One of the things I like about our Vegas is it's small size make it easy to get around in so we don't feel the need for a toad.
With that said I really don't want to tow anything , including a small utility trailer with a golf cart.
I looked at some "mini" carts that could be carried on a hitch platform but the market is limited and they are expensive.
What I have settled on is electric bicycles, specifically the Rad Mini by Rad Power Bikes.

It' a folding bike with a 750 watt motor and a 48 volt battery . Minimum range is 20 miles and they will run 20 mph.
To put that in prospective one of the mini golf carts I was looking at features a 1000 watt motor and a 24 volt battery.
Between Disney and Cape Cod ( our normal trips during the year) we expect to get good use out of them.
I have ordered one and if the wife can handle it ok I will order the second right away.

Best part is they can travel on a hitch rack or inside the rv if folded , We will most likely use a rack.
Which VEGAS do you have,? 25.2 here and trying to find something that won't block the rear slide.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:33 PM   #3

THOR #5374
24.1 for us , no rear slide to contend with .
Old 07-08-2017, 12:17 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Electric Bikes

Wow the RadMini is Super Cool !
I was in the same Boat or in this case RV as you.
Since I had to buy 5 of them I purchased the SONDORS Fold X. Was hard decision but price was lower in the end. Offering a total bike weight of 50 pounds each and will have a custom rack made for the back of RV. We are hooked since we took 2 of our 250 watt Bikes on last trip out west. This will be our upgrade. I think It is the Best way to see the parks since they are considered bicycles. I will also be looking for some type of water proof bag for travel, if you have any ideas please post ! Love your Garage !!!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:54 AM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
nice find.
I had the same idea about a golf cart, then my Father in Law gave us his.... I fixed it up but I never really wanted to deal with a trailer.
Besides that, the golf cart wouldn't be usable a lot of places. It would need to be street legal and licensed in many places, and even then some places it wouldn't be allowed even then.
The electric bike idea is perfect and those look like nice ones!
The big down sides to me, besides price, are security, and leaving that expensive thing hanging on the bike rack out in the weather.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing how they work out for you. Hope you post some pictures, how the look on the back of your rig, etc....
Old 07-08-2017, 12:54 AM   #6

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Which VEGAS do you have,? 25.2 here and trying to find something that won't block the rear slide.
Get a 4x8 utility trailer and a hitch extension.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:49 AM   #7

THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
nice find.
I had the same idea about a golf cart, then my Father in Law gave us his.... I fixed it up but I never really wanted to deal with a trailer.
Besides that, the golf cart wouldn't be usable a lot of places. It would need to be street legal and licensed in many places, and even then some places it wouldn't be allowed even then.
The electric bike idea is perfect and those look like nice ones!
The big down sides to me, besides price, are security, and leaving that expensive thing hanging on the bike rack out in the weather.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing how they work out for you. Hope you post some pictures, how the look on the back of your rig, etc....
Good points .
I have already figured to buy a good U lock with cable for each bike . Plus the Hollywood rack I am looking at comes with a lock system to keep them secure when on the back of the RV.
As for the weather I think a good large BBQ grille cover and some bungee cords will do the trick. If not I have a friend that owns an auto upholstery shop , I'm sure he can whip something up.
I'll have to do a little measuring to get a handle on that.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:41 AM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Fresch Electric Bikes - Motiv We went with two of these. Tote them on a Swagman bicycle rack on the back of the Axis. 48 volts of power for the hills and will go around 20 miles on a charge.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #9

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Mini Golf Cart

We had the same issue, but my DH could not handle using the bikes after a tiring day in the parks. Divesting of the bikes we purchased the Cricket (I believe they have a few models with different power/range features) and carry it on a hitch platform. Yes, it is expensive (there are some used ones for sale you could find) but it solves the problem of being tired and alert enough to ride the bikes. They are cheaper than golf carts, even used ones.

The mini golf cart is technically a personal mobility device--our model has no brake pedal, and has a top speed of 10-12 mph depending on the weight of the passenger(s). We have used ours in at least 15 states as we travel cross the country with it. We use it on sidewalks, and try to avoid using it on streets, but we have where the sidewalks were blocked. We have had NO issues using it, even past officers directing traffic. Only stopped once in the Florida Keys, and after showing it had no brake pedal we went on our merry way. So, even though $$$, we use it regularly, so it has been worth it and we would buy again if given the option.

We also carry in our basement a folding electric scooter (ours even comes apart into several pieces for ease of traveling with it) which my DH takes into the parks so he has more energy to spend with us at the end of each day.

When there is a will there is a way. Being less abled doesn't stop us from doing the things we both enjoy, but sometimes the work arounds are very creative!
Old 07-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #10

THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
We had the same issue, but my DH could not handle using the bikes after a tiring day in the parks. Divesting of the bikes we purchased the Cricket (I believe they have a few models with different power/range features) and carry it on a hitch platform. Yes, it is expensive (there are some used ones for sale you could find) but it solves the problem of being tired and alert enough to ride the bikes. They are cheaper than golf carts, even used ones.

The mini golf cart is technically a personal mobility device--our model has no brake pedal, and has a top speed of 10-12 mph depending on the weight of the passenger(s). We have used ours in at least 15 states as we travel cross the country with it. We use it on sidewalks, and try to avoid using it on streets, but we have where the sidewalks were blocked. We have had NO issues using it, even past officers directing traffic. Only stopped once in the Florida Keys, and after showing it had no brake pedal we went on our merry way. So, even though $$$, we use it regularly, so it has been worth it and we would buy again if given the option.

We also carry in our basement a folding electric scooter (ours even comes apart into several pieces for ease of traveling with it) which my DH takes into the parks so he has more energy to spend with us at the end of each day.

When there is a will there is a way. Being less abled doesn't stop us from doing the things we both enjoy, but sometimes the work arounds are very creative!
Yep the Cricket is one of the mini carts that we considered. As you said the creative work arounds come in many shapes and sizes.
For me the Cricket wasn't the answer but i agree it is a good option for some.

The other mini I considered was the Kangacruz golf cart .
Problem is the only dealer is in Canada , this raised concerns about shipping , its associated costs and what do you do if it breaks ?

As a friend of mine says, it's all about choices ...