Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2015, 11:09 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
2015-2016 DVRs Pre-wired

What and where are the pre-wired areas? Start area and Ending area ? (Solar, Satellite, etc.)

Old 10-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #2

Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Tennessee
THOR #1668
I have 2 satalite cables in the cabinet above the living room tv. They are labled. I'm told they run up to the vent in the very front of my unit. I haven't removed the cap but it makes sense seeing how there isn't anything to actually vent at that point. I would say the same for the solar wires. I opted for the heavy 6 ga. wiring and I see them in the battery compartment and I would think they terminate in that same vent.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #3

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
But do you have the automatic dish plug above the living room TV? Our pigtail for the Winegard-type automatic dish system is in the upper left cabinet facing the pantry area and is labeled "Satellite". We also had the Sat 1 and Sat 2 coax cables above the TV, but the satellite controller mounts remotely per the above.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:51 AM   #4

Model: Dallas
State: Wisconsin
THOR #2170
I bought a used 14 Dallas......looked through all of the material from DRV with no diagram. Did others get a diagram?
Old 10-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #5

Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Tennessee
THOR #1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by classichammond View Post
I bought a used 14 Dallas......looked through all of the material from DRV with no diagram. Did others get a diagram?
2016 and no diagrams.

Rusty,

I don'tactually have a satalite system. Just those coax cables.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #6

THOR #2754
I guess my point was that ours was pre-wired for the Winegard automatic satellite systems on the roof. I haven't installed one (yet) either, but the pre-wiring is in place for the dish and the controller. I'd bet it is on your 2016 as well.

And no diagrams or schematics here, either. I've never owned a 5th wheel that came with them.

Rusty
Old 10-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #7

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
There are usually 3 vents on the roof.

The front one usually has the solar wires under it. They terminate in the battery compartment.

The middle one MAY be the actual tank vent pipe. Or it MAY be the TV wiring location. The 2nd and 3rd location sometimes vary depending on the floor plan. Easy to tell when you take the cap off!

Whichever one has the TV wiring=The 2 coax wires, marked satellite 1 and satellite 2, will terminate in the vacinity of the master TV, markes as roof satellite 1 and 2. There will also be 2 additional coax wires, again marked 1 and 2. These wires go to the water compartment, again marked as 1 and 2.

The control wires for the satellite are also in the same location on the roof. This wire terminates in the control compartment by the front door, and there will also be a 120v outlet close by. The wire simply plugs in on both ends, top to the satellite dish, bottom to the controller.

Pretty simple actually. First time I installed a dish it took me close to 2 hours start to finish. Second one took almost 45 minutes. Get a couple tubes of self leveling caulk and a little help to lift the dish up (the hardest part of the job, about 50 lbs) and follow the directions supplied.

The solar install is equally easy. A few hours.

Good luck

Bill
Old 10-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #8

THOR #2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
The control wires for the satellite are also in the same location on the roof. This wire terminates in the control compartment by the front door, and there will also be a 120v outlet close by.
Bill,

I think that varies by model. On our 38RSSA the satellite wiring terminates in the top left cabinet on the pantry wall. This cabinet abuts the back (road, off-door or service) wall of the RSSA and, as you say, has the satellite pigtail & plug as well as a 120VAC outlet for the controller.

Rusty
Old 04-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #9

Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
THOR #4040
Has anyone hooked up a portable satellite dish to a 2016

We have a 2016 MS 38RSSA. I have the Winegard carryout portable dish and will be hooking it up this weekend.

Has anyone done this? Where are the wires for the receiver. I am guesing in the cabinet above the main TV. Looks like I hook up the satelling cable in the area where the LevelUp is located.

Any help would be appreciated.

Don
DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #10

State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
We have a 2015 38 RSSA, if they haven't changed too much here's what I did:

Before having the Wineguard installed on the roof I would connect the cable from the satellite dish to the terminal in the level up compartment outside, then connect the cable from sat box to one of the cables in the cabinet over the TV. If I remember correctly the terminals outside are labeled "sat 1" and "sat 2". Look for the labels in the cabinet over the TV for corresponding cable. The "hard" part is to connect the HDMI cable from the satellite box to the receiver, mine didn't pull out that far so I had to use a mirror to "see" the back of it to get the HDMI cable into the right slot. Then just turn on the sat box, the receiver and select the proper mode and tune in your satellite dish.

The really tough part is getting the dish tuned into the "bird", everything else is pretty eezy peezy.

Dan
Old 04-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #11

State: Maryland
THOR #4040
Nothing being mounted on the roof. My Winegard Carryout is portable and I really like it that way. No trees to worry about -- no obstructions whatsoever.
DRV got back to me and said there were outside cable connections labeled above the main TV and also the one in the bedroom.
That will work just fine.

At some point I will have to figure out how to hook up the outside TV to satellite.

Thanks

Don
DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote