Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2017, 01:33 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: Florida
THOR #5314
Gps

Any idea on the difference between the Garmin rv 770 lmt-s and the Garmin rv 760 lmt.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:05 AM   #2
Kev

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottogo View Post
Any idea on the difference between the Garmin rv 770 lmt-s and the Garmin rv 760 lmt.
I believe the screen is bigger on the 760.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:57 AM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
We have the 760...cannot tell you the difference...if you go to the Garmin website you can compare the units. If I remember correctly, one might be for Big Rig trucks.

We used our 760 for the first time a week ago...we are very happy...more features than on our 'car' Garmin .
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:47 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Basically the same display size, price and most other features. Some RV-770 differences; 4 years newer, higher resolution display, traffic is via smartphone link, less weight, smaller shell housing.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:24 AM   #5
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
Basically the same display size, price and most other features. Some RV-770 differences; 4 years newer, higher resolution display, traffic is via smartphone link, less weight, smaller shell housing.

If those are the differences..then we are happy with our unit...I cannot imagine better resolution than is on ours...ours is smartphone capable, but, we find it adequate without using phone (perhaps by updating the software, we obtained the smartphone app) ... for the size of the screen and slim housing...it is perfect..and comes with a very good suction apparatus which allows unit to sit on top of radio facing driver or shotgun via swivel...
and...we bought ours through Garmin direct and bought a refurbished unit...so saved a bit of cash !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 06-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #6

THOR #1944
Display resolution with increased pixel density is commonly a waste or sort of an electronics race gimmick. Especially when eyes get older and the display is viewed at a greater distance than we can differentiate pixels. I'm quite sure even the 760 at arms length or more where it is commonly viewed was already past our ability to differentiate.

FWIW ... the smartphone thing is a change to traffic service that I noticed newer GPS releases seemed to have in place of the former built in standalone capability. This could be enough to make some people want the 760 over the 770. We seldom travel where there's been traffic services anyhow so I simply didn't care. Though I do wonder what the story is with traffic services.

The 4 years span typically equates to speed. Such as faster; startups, bus, memory and USB. To me this is priceless ... however I doubt it matters much in regular use other than possibly saving an occasional missed turn or optimal re-route calculation after missing a turn. The thing I noticed was the Topo map transfers were blazing fast compared to my old GPS! Like minutes (under an hour) vs. several hours (overnight)!

Things I miss: hot dock cradle vs. plugging in USB cable and the elevation stat on the main routing screen appears to be missing.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
vkb

THOR #3510
Ty ... agree with you regarding some of the "optional" missing features we use on our old Garmin ... elevation , and compass ...
But, overall, we like the 760. The only reason we updated to this model is to have the recognition of size of coach.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 06-12-2017, 01:43 AM   #8

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
We bought the RV 660, a little smaller screen, but has enough features for us. I wanted to be able to input the coach size to avoid having to backtrack if we encounter a problem area. Only used it on a short trip, but we will try out the long distance later this week.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:23 AM   #9

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6892
I just got the 770 for our month long trip around the country and so far it's working out good. It chooses some longer routes sometimes which is weird, but we just adjust it if we see a faster route. I didn't do much research, just saw it and liked it so yeah, I'm happy with it. The smartphone link is a nice option.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #10
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_kay View Post
I just got the 770 for our month long trip around the country and so far it's working out good. It chooses some longer routes sometimes which is weird, but we just adjust it if we see a faster route. I didn't do much research, just saw it and liked it so yeah, I'm happy with it. The smartphone link is a nice option.
Did you go into settings? You may or may not know that you can tell your Garmin to use the shortest route, etc.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 06-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #11

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suite 38RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #3749
Here's a link to comparison
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-JCe6xh...-770LMTHD.html
Old 06-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #12

THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbender View Post
That's actually a comparison to a different GPS model "dēzl™ 770LMTHD". The RV 770 LMT-S model is different both visually and in specifications. The new RV model doesn't appear to be carried by Crutchfield yet.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:22 PM   #13

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6892
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Did you go into settings? You may or may not know that you can tell your Garmin to use the shortest route, etc.

I didn't know that haha, will do it now!
Old 06-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #14
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Garmin™ GPS - 2 Day Sale - at FactoryOutletStore.com‎
Adgarmin.factoryoutletstore.com/

If you have not purchased a GPS yet, this site is worth visiting.
We have made our last 2 purchases from them and have had no problems with the Garmins we bought.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 06-13-2017, 02:06 AM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Good to know information. Looking into this purchase
Old 06-13-2017, 03:04 AM   #16

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We were using google maps on our smart phone last summer, until it tried to send us under a 10'3" railroad underpass (our Vegas is 11'3"). I saw the sign before I made the turn. At the next stop, we ordered the Garmin 760. Now we don't know what crisis we've averted since!
Old 06-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #17

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
I also just bought the RV 770 model. Traffic info is via the smartphone link or you can purchase the power cable with the traffic receiver like the older units with traffic had. I have one of those from a much smaller unit and am going to see if it works.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:27 AM   #18
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
We were using google maps on our smart phone last summer, until it tried to send us under a 10'3" railroad underpass (our Vegas is 11'3"). I saw the sign before I made the turn. At the next stop, we ordered the Garmin 760. Now we don't know what crisis we've averted since!
YES ! money well spent !
Jeep Wrangler TJ