Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2019, 04:35 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
Easiest one yet!

This debate is the easiest one to resolve yet! All you have to do is ask yourself which one is an American truck and which one did not take the fake bankruptcy/government buyout! See y'all at the Blue Oval!

WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #22

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
But you are combining all four GM models. If you just include the two full-sized models that compete directly against Ford...
True but. I honestly think the Canyon and Colorado do add to total sales. Sure some buyers (like me) probably would buy a Silverado or Sierra if we didn't make the mid size truck. But there are buyers who would have done something else if mid size didn't exist. And yes, as an employee I always added Silverado and Sierra sales to compare to F150 sales.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:31 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
GM is probably at a slight disadvantage by not having a diesel for 1/2-ton. I’ve read that diesels in that segment aren’t as important as on 3/4- and 1-ton, but I expect the future 3.0-L inline-6 should help GM nonetheless once it gets to market.

I’d be interested in knowing what percent of 1/2-ton pickups Ford and RAM manufacture.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:48 PM   #24

Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDan View Post
This debate is the easiest one to resolve yet! All you have to do is ask yourself which one is an American truck and which one did not take the fake bankruptcy/government buyout! See y'all at the Blue Oval!
Alright, I was holding back BUT since you threw the first BOMB.

FACT, the PowerStroke engine is MADE IN MEXICO.

RAM is Assembled in Mexico with a 100% US Made drivetrain along with most of it's components. The 2020 RAM HD will be Made In USA, gonna buy one???
Old 01-27-2019, 06:01 PM   #25

THOR #9522
From a purely financial viewpoint Ford was dumb to not wash away years of bad management by going through bankruptcy like GM did.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
Old 01-27-2019, 06:02 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

Why try to start a "Flame-fest", over something as unimportant as a truck or two?
Shouldn't we be drawing up sides over the whole "Which type or model of RV is best"?

They're all actually pretty good trucks:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1548612136
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floating Your Goat.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	15379  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:05 PM   #27

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
"Please by the Sierra with the fancy CarbonPro box! It's the last project I worked on for GM R&D before retirement!"

I love this one!

Guess I'd better add, please buy the New Ranger or a new Bronco! Launching the machining of the front and rear axle carrier housings for Dana was the last project I worked on before retirement.

Small world
Old 01-27-2019, 06:14 PM   #28

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
"They're all actually pretty good trucks:"

Here's some trivia for you Bob. The 10R60 transmission clutch hub has two data matrix blocks laser etched on it after final machining. One is used if it's put in a Ford transmission, the other is used if it goes in a GM transmission. Same exact part for two different companies.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:22 PM   #29

THOR #2121
Relative to RV industry, I would guess the truck with best towing capacity while running on gasoline is positioned best for future sales.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:19 PM   #30

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Alright, I was holding back BUT since you threw the first BOMB.

FACT, the PowerStroke engine is MADE IN MEXICO.

RAM is Assembled in Mexico with a 100% US Made drivetrain along with most of it's components. The 2020 RAM HD will be Made In USA, gonna buy one???
Ron you forgot

< drops the mic>

Old 01-27-2019, 07:20 PM   #31

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Why try to start a "Flame-fest", over something as unimportant as a truck or two?
Shouldn't we be drawing up sides over the whole "Which type or model of RV is best"?

They're all actually pretty good trucks:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1548612136
All of the above is subjective. You know what they say, opinions are like @@@holes, everybody has one.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:25 PM   #32

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Relative to RV industry, I would guess the truck with best towing capacity while running on gasoline is positioned best for future sales.
I think the next big thing will be an electric pick up. The torque and power of an electric truck would be unmatched. What they need to really do is put a generator that runs on propane to keep the batteries charged giving it a unlimited range. Can you imagine getting 60-70 mpg equivalent towing 30k?
Old 01-27-2019, 07:32 PM   #33
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Did someone say Electric Truck? LOL!

Actually I was going to post anyway as I just returned from the NAIAS (The Detroit Auto show) and saw the GMC tailgate (and they had the CarbonPro box "exposed" on display too).

The Denali they were showing with the tailgate had a stereo in it--sounded pretty good too.

I'd buy a truck with that tailgate if I were buying (I had one of the first tailgate steps in my F-350 and loved it).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #34

THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I think the next big thing will be an electric pick up. The torque and power of an electric truck would be unmatched. What they need to really do is put a generator that runs on propane to keep the batteries charged giving it a unlimited range. Can you imagine getting 60-70 mpg equivalent towing 30k?
You can imagine it all you want but physics says no way.

Hybrids work great in situations where the engine/generator only has to support the average power needed by the vehicle. The electric motor/battery pack then buffer the peaks allowing you to run a smaller engine/generator that putting out average power plus a little to recharge the pack from peak demands.

Towing close to max rating is all about average power that is much much closer to the peak demands. Unless you have a massive battery pack to buffer those sustained peaks you need a generator that is much closer to the peak power requirements. Remember state of the art batteries weigh a ton too. Look at the Chevy Volt Gen 1 battery: 440 pounds of battery pack with the energy equivalent of 1 GALLON (6.3 pounds) of gasoline. And yes Gen 2 is a bit lighter and stores a bit more energy.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
Old 01-27-2019, 08:23 PM   #35

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Don't really care about the numbers, it is Ford for my tastes!
Old 01-27-2019, 08:32 PM   #36

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Tacomas are the best selling small truck because they are the best truck in the segment, not the cheapest. The cheapest is the Nissan Frontier. GM has to offer crazy discounts to come in second to Ford. If Ram offered the same discounts, GM would be third on the list.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:46 AM   #37

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Did someone say Electric Truck? LOL!

......cut.....

I’ve seen several reports similar to one below stating that Ford is looking at building an All-Electric F-150. Chevy supposedly has similar plans. I doubt either will be able to do serious towing over long distances.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...uck-confirmed/
Old 01-28-2019, 03:26 AM   #38

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post

In my opinion, economics are not too favorable yet for electric because RV trailers don’t get driven enough miles to pay for the investment. The electric range pulling a 5er would be unacceptably short, and adding a generator to extend range would not accomplish enough over a standard drivetrain burning gasoline or propane. In case of large trucks like proposed by Tesla, they get driven as much as 100,000 miles per year or more.

That’s why I think that for many RV buyers, a large and powerful gasoline engine option that could tow, say, 20,000-pound trailer may be very successful. Other than lower fuel economy, I’m not aware of any reason why a gasoline engine can’t be designed and built tough enough for any size trailer.

For example, if Ford produced a 500 HP gasoline engine for Super Duty pickups, would it cannibalize PowerStroke sales? Probably so, which is partly why they haven’t.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:32 AM   #39

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
I Look at this way,The truck company that helped The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA MILITARY & Build AMERICA. End of story.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #40
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I’ve seen several reports similar to one below stating that Ford is looking at building an All-Electric F-150. Chevy supposedly has similar plans. I doubt either will be able to do serious towing over long distances.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...uck-confirmed/
Yeah Ford has said and confirmed multiple times now that they will have a BEV F-150 (and a hybrid--I would guess the hybrid F-150 will probably use the new Explorer's hybrid powertrain or something very similar to it).

Our F-350 towing our 5er would only go about 200 miles before needing to refuel (the notorious V-10's thirst showing here--I'm aware the Diesels do go further).

Here is a look at the Model X's towing range. If you look at the 100D version (biggest battery) which is rated for 295 miles when not towing (thus range drops to roughly 37% of original-- 109 miles).

The Rivian with the biggest battery is rated for ~400 miles and using the Model X's reduction yields approx 148 miles towing.

Still not exactly the 200 miles my F-350 got. With these ranges recharge times come into play bigtime (if you're recharging every two or three hours for another hour that does impact the total travel time).

Many people, however, don't use their trucks for long haul trips like an RV'er would and thus a BEV pickup may work out better for them. Just when purchasing a truck now the choice of powertrain should be matched to the usage.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote