Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #41

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
There is almost NO water system that does not have some sort of sediment going thru it--complete filtration to stop everything would be excessively costly. And, the piping itself will have buildup/abrasives break loose and travel with the water. Extra filters on the hose supply help a lot, but tend to cause pressure loss when used.
Kantleak is a great name for marketing, but any rubber gasket/seal that moves is going to suffer wear and give out at some point, even Teflon will eventually erode. I have built a PVC manifold to feed the Kantleak and grey/black flush valves using 3/4" brass valving from Lowes--one of them leaked soon afterward, so commercial plumbing stuff suffers from quality control also.
The manifold system mentioned by porthole probably will solve all these leaks--waiting for pics to see if I could replace the Kantleak with other valving.

2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #42

THOR #9543
As far as pressure, when I turn the water off, I loosen the hose fitting on the valve and call to my wife to open a faucet inside. Guys and gals, don’t kill the messenger; I’m just passing information that I received. I ‘choose’ to follow the advice, but if you don’t...., don’t. I use rainwater at my home and it is filtered and cleaned better than anything you can buy. There is nothing in my water, but two parts of hydrogen and one part of oxygen.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #43

THOR #9543
“The one I talked to said shutting off the supply is BS”

I just caught this. You could not have talked with tech support today, so you obviously heard about it prior to this. So, LOL, at least 2 techs have recommended it.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:09 PM   #44

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11 View Post
Funny you bring this up. Our Anderson Kantleak is dripping a small amount of water down the back from the crossover between the two valves. Called Anderson and our unit came with the 200RV-PT and the guy (Ron) I spoke with suggested replacing it with the 200RV-WHB because the crossover is pressed on instead of threaded and he said that is where most of the leaks are coming from. He said they had tried to get DRV to move to this model but they would not do it. I had to buy the new one for $145 from one of their distributors and have a mobile RV tech coming out Friday to replace it which will probably cost a couple hundred more. Sounds like this company needs to change the name of their product to Doesleak.
I have the same leak, small amount of water dripping between the two valves. I didn't get a chance to take it apart yet. I was hoping it just needed a little Teflon tape on the fitting and now I'm hoping it's not a pressed in fitting. Sounds like I got a Canleak valve.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #45

THOR #9543
RV, when I pulled my valve out, there were ???4??? small, thick ‘O’ rings that just pop out of their seats. They should be available at any well stocked hardware store. I received a complete new valve from Kantleak, and a complete assembley from DRV. I replaced the leaky valve and kept the assembley for future, if needed.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:53 AM   #46

THOR #9543
I just did a brief search and there are lots of links to the problem to which we refer and 'relieve pressure' cure. Here' just one from the Grand Design site back in 2015:

https://www.granddesignowners.com/fo...Kantleak-valve
Old 04-09-2018, 03:46 AM   #47

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
I recently just started having this issue with our Miramar. The fresh water tank is receiving about 25 gallons of water over the course of a week.

Many others have simply been able to twist the knob a few times and get theirs to stop leaking. I'm not having such success. I don't even mind replacing o-rings if that's what it takes, but I really would like to know what the crux of the issue is so we can take precautions to prevent being in this predicament while we are hooked up.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #48

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
I just added a second shut off valve in line to the fresh water tank, easy to get to, piece of mind.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #49

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
"my simple manifold I made up with several 1/4 turn valves..."

Port is it possible for you to post a picture/sketch, and elaborate a little?
Clev, this is what i did to my trailer - not for everyone but works for me. This was before the kan-leak was popular.

I started all this because I have two fresh water tanks, one that always left 15 gallons in the tank and had difficulty filling them through the gravity feed, mainly because of vent lines with dips.

I now can take my city water, which runs through a water softener first, which has a pre sediment filter.

Water comes in through the bottom with a slip on Sharkbite
1/4 turn shut off
90 degree connector
One way check valve
Tee to house systems and water out at the bottom of the trailer
Tee to house systems and Black tank flush
1/4 turn in black tank flush
1/4 turn in black tank flush
Behind the wall, one way check valve
(the two 1/4 turns in line allow me to keep that short stretch pressurized all the time.
Below the black 1/4 turn is a 1/4 turn coming from the filtered side of house to fresh water tank fill

The tee going into the wall goes to a dual whole house filter filter, sediment and carbon

The pressure gauges read pre and post filter pressure, with to drains below to drain the gauge lines.

The original winterizing valve is still plumbed in and besides winterizing I can use it to power drain a portable water tote we use when boon docking, to fill the on board fresh water tank.

I use PEX , 1/2" copper pipe and SharkBite fittings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cyclone_water_0.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	9637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cyclone_water_1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	9638  

Name:	Cyclone_water_3.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	9639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cyclone_water_5.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	9640  

Name:	Cyclone_water_6.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	9641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cyclone_water_7.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	9642  

Name:	Cyclone_water_4.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	9643  

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #50

THOR #9431
Besides the above I have a multi-filter system under the galley sink.

Years ago a friend gave me a complete RO system. I installed, didn't care for the way it wasted water and removed the membrane part. I left the four filter manifold kit under the sink and have a water spigot on the counter top.

Any water that comes in and through the trailer goes through the RO system's four under sink filters before we give it to the dogs, coffee maker, drink etc.

Those four filters are sediment, carbon, chemical and "polishing" water ever that is.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Old 04-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #51

THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
I recently just started having this issue with our Miramar. The fresh water tank is receiving about 25 gallons of water over the course of a week.

Many others have simply been able to twist the knob a few times and get theirs to stop leaking. I'm not having such success. I don't even mind replacing o-rings if that's what it takes, but I really would like to know what the crux of the issue is so we can take precautions to prevent being in this predicament while we are hooked up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
I just added a second shut off valve in line to the fresh water tank, easy to get to, piece of mind.

We leave the house with a typical water load between 1/2 and full tanks, full being 110 gallons.
One time in 15 years of camping we had a CG water quality problem and I will never again be without a water supply I bring with me.

I sanitize my tanks twice year at the minimum, spring get ready and mid year, and any time I have to put campground water into my trailer.

I would not tolerate leaking valves constantly adding water to my on board storage.

That all said, I'm hoping that our DRV that was built last month will have the latest and greatest kant-leaks installed

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Old 04-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #52

THOR #9543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthole View Post
Besides the above I have a multi-filter system under the galley sink.

Years ago a friend gave me a complete RO system. I installed, didn't care for the way it wasted water and removed the membrane part. I left the four filter manifold kit under the sink and have a water spigot on the counter top.

Any water that comes in and through the trailer goes through the RO system's four under sink filters before we give it to the dogs, coffee maker, drink etc.

Those four filters are sediment, carbon, chemical and "polishing" water ever that is.

Good system. I'm sure there's others, but you're the first that I've met that shares my views on good filtered water. Trailer Life printed an article last year from a noted filtration company and they discussed various filters. Primarily, the best system consisted of a sediment filter, charcoal filter, and a 12-stick ceramic candle stick filter, with gives near RO quality. I was so impressed with the article, I ordered and installed a system similar to the article. There was not room for the installation behind the door, so I was forced to mount it just outside; but, it is not nor has been in the way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Filter.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	9644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filters.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	9645  

Old 04-09-2018, 06:22 PM   #53

Model: 36RSSB3
THOR #88
Quote:
That all said, I'm hoping that our DRV that was built last month will have the latest and greatest kant-leaks installed
I hope you are right but back in Feb. when I talked to Kant Leak they told me that so far DRV had refused to switch to the newer unit. He said they had tried to get them to start installing the updated version but no dice. Who knows.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:22 PM   #54

THOR #9543
Port, thank you for taking the time to describe, with pictures, the system that you fabricated for a quality water connection. I've saved the information to my Mobile Suites folder and will use it as a guide if I need a modification.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:59 AM   #55

THOR #9431
Quote:
Good system. I'm sure there's others, but you're the first that I've met that shares my views on good filtered water. Trailer Life printed an article last year from a noted filtration company and they discussed various filters. Primarily, the best system consisted of a sediment filter, charcoal filter, and a 12-stick ceramic candle stick filter, with gives near RO quality. I was so impressed with the article, I ordered and installed a system similar to the article. There was not room for the installation behind the door, so I was forced to mount it just outside; but, it is not nor has been in the way.
Perhaps my fourth "polishing filter" is a ceramic similar to yours.

Although I will use campground water, I always give it the sniff and taste test.
I have a wife and 2 dogs that can have 'sensitive' systems, so I don't like taking a chance on changing their water. Not so much a problem with the human as it is with two Golden Retrievers.

Since I don't have the trailer yet I'm not sure what I am going to do with my water.
I know what behind the door looks like and there is no room as you mentioned.

At the minimum I will probably remove the DRV installed single and install my double filter. I think there is enough room for that.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Old 04-10-2018, 02:02 AM   #56

THOR #9431
Quote:
I hope you are right but back in Feb. when I talked to Kant Leak they told me that so far DRV had refused to switch to the newer unit. He said they had tried to get them to start installing the updated version but no dice. Who knows.
I seem to recall inquiring about that when I was at DRV in mid March to see my trailer, and I think the response was positive - either way I'm sure I'll know in a couple of months.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Old 04-10-2018, 02:16 AM   #57

THOR #9543
The white, whole house filter (as they call it) was freely hanging directly over an electrical outlet. I moved the outlet, and placed a block under the filter so that it was not 'hanging'.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:35 AM   #58

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
The mighty dollar speaks...
Old 04-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #59

THOR #9431
Quote:
The white, whole house filter (as they call it) was freely hanging directly over an electrical outlet. I moved the outlet, and placed a block under the filter so that it was not 'hanging'.

I've seen the filter installations from DRV. To me it just looks like a "hey lets though this in somewhere and let everyone think they are getting a value added upgrade".

From when I first saw it . I knew I would be doing something with it.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450