Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-29-2019, 05:44 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: DRV
State: Arizona
Posts: 4
THOR #17672
B&W Companion Slider capacity question

Our 5th wheel is a 2020 DRV Mobile Suites 38 RSSA, with GVWR of 21,000 lbs. We are not likely to exceed 20,000 lbs. total weight and about 4,500 lbs of pin weight.

The hitch that I ordered for our short bed truck is the B&W Companion Slider hitch with a rating of 20,000 lbs and pin weight max of 5,000 lbs.

Does it seem reasonable to use this hitch with this 5th wheel? Capacities are nearly at max.
__________________

__________________
2019 RAM 3500 LongHorn MegaCab H.O. Cummins w/Aisin. Ram auto-leveling air rear suspension.

2020 DRV Mobile Suites 38 RSSA
DHart is offline  
Old 12-29-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38PS3
State: Idaho
Posts: 37
THOR #2022
Don't do it. See the link of my experience with a non-slider B&W near the max weight.
B&W failure - iRV2 Forums

So your Ram has a short bed? DRW?
__________________

__________________
Steadfast is offline  
Old 12-29-2019, 06:29 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,403
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
Don't do it. See the link of my experience with a non-slider B&W near the max weight.
B&W failure - iRV2 Forums

So your Ram has a short bed? DRW?
He will have the PUCK system as his truck is a Longhorn. Yes it is a DRW.

The hitch posting from THREE YEARS AGO has ZERO to do with the B&W hitch he is going to install. His hitch is a puck system hitch that attaches DIRECTLY to the trucks frame and will be more than capable to haul his DRV.

FACT is even if he goes over the 20k rating it will NOT fail as they have a FACTOR built into every hitch they make.

OP carry on!!!
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline  
Old 12-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Oregon
Posts: 10
THOR #17449
The truck should handle the load no problem. Personally I would go with at least a 25000lb hitch. I would rather overbuild than go to light and have a failure even if the hitch does have a +or- factor built in.
__________________
GTM41261 is offline  
Old 12-29-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
Posts: 289
THOR #2053
Why would you buy something new that is barely adequate for the job? BAD choice. Call the manuf and tell them your plans and see what they have to say. I could guarantee you two things=
1. Have a hitch failure and see if the manuf will help out any. You will be toxic and all alone.
2. See #1. Not one of the people above saying to go ahead will be available to help you either.

I was an engineer in my former life. EE. Most things do have a built in fudge factor to account for stupid people doing stupid things. It gives the engineer and manuf a way out when stuff happens. Because it will.

Good luck with your choice.

Bill
__________________
If you are afraid to speak the truth out of fear of what others may think, it says a lot about who you are and what you will settle for.
Porkchop is offline  
Old 12-30-2019, 06:14 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Brand: DRV
State: Arizona
Posts: 4
THOR #17672
Thanks for all the replies.

As I was thinking this over last night I decided that the PullRite Superslide 24k lbs hitch is going to be my best choice.

There are a number of people on DRV Facebook forums who are happily pulling DRVs with Shortbed Duallies using the Pullrite Superslide, so it seems that is the most popular way to go with short beds and heavy DRVs.
__________________
2019 RAM 3500 LongHorn MegaCab H.O. Cummins w/Aisin. Ram auto-leveling air rear suspension.

2020 DRV Mobile Suites 38 RSSA
DHart is offline  
Old 12-30-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Brand: DRV
State: Arizona
Posts: 4
THOR #17672
Demco Hijacker is a good option also, with 21k capacity. And, it has 3 height settings to allow clearing the bed sides.

The PullRite with 24k capacity is a little more reassuring, though. It can be raised with a riser kit that they offer.

So, either the Pullrite or the Demco are excellent solutions that work well with the short bed trucks.

The B&W Companion Slider is a great quality unit also, but just a bit short on "rated" capacity for my needs.
__________________
2019 RAM 3500 LongHorn MegaCab H.O. Cummins w/Aisin. Ram auto-leveling air rear suspension.

2020 DRV Mobile Suites 38 RSSA
DHart is offline  
Old 12-30-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,403
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Demco Hijacker is a good option also, with 21k capacity. And, it has 3 height settings to allow clearing the bed sides.

The PullRite with 24k capacity is a little more reassuring, though. It can be raised with a riser kit that they offer.

So, either the Pullrite or the Demco are excellent solutions that work well with the short bed trucks.

The B&W Companion Slider is a great quality unit also, but just a bit short on "rated" capacity for my needs.
I understand your concerns, another option is using the RVK 3600 and place the pivot point back a bit. Won't hurt a darn thing.

PullRite is a good quality hitch but remember me when you need to unhitch or hitch at an angle!

Truly sucks to have a SB because then everything is a compromise!
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline  
Old 12-30-2019, 05:41 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Brand: DRV
State: Arizona
Posts: 4
THOR #17672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I understand your concerns, another option is using the RVK 3600 and place the pivot point back a bit. Won't hurt a darn thing.

PullRite is a good quality hitch but remember me when you need to unhitch or hitch at an angle!

Truly sucks to have a SB because then everything is a compromise!
Enough about how horrible you think a shortbed is. You've harped on that enough here and there.

We love our short bed. It's just fine. Everything is life is a compromise, including a long bed.
__________________
2019 RAM 3500 LongHorn MegaCab H.O. Cummins w/Aisin. Ram auto-leveling air rear suspension.

2020 DRV Mobile Suites 38 RSSA
DHart is offline  
Old 12-30-2019, 07:11 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,403
THOR #1661
WOW, Sucks equates to "HORRIBLE" sure not in my book!

Sorry to offend but this is a open forum that more than ONE is viewing and may learn from this.

BTW you DO have an AWESOME truck, but your DRW Mega is basically the same length as my LB DRW.

Sorry to upset, surely NOT meant that way!!!
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline  
Old 12-31-2019, 05:48 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Oregon
Posts: 10
THOR #17449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
WOW, Sucks equates to "HORRIBLE" sure not in my book!

Sorry to offend but this is a open forum that more than ONE is viewing and may learn from this.

BTW you DO have an AWESOME truck, but your DRW Mega is basically the same length as my LB DRW.

Sorry to upset, surely NOT meant that way!!!
Have to agree a Long bed Dually is the way to go with a heavy 5th wheel in my humble opinion.
__________________
GTM41261 is offline  
Old 01-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,403
THOR #1661
Here is another reason to have a LB. This is a GREAT tool box one can have towing a 5er. 30" front to back and bed height. This toolbox will last a lifetime as it's made by HighWay Products. Same people that make aluminum products for the Trucking Industry.

I was LUCKY to find this one on CL in 09 or so and used it I'm my 98 RAM, 11 RAM and current 15. New they are just over $1,000, I was luck to find this for $350.

This is the hitch to have with a LB also. Simple solid latching system. OH, they are both Made In USA.

__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline  
Old 01-04-2020, 09:37 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Alberta
Posts: 3
THOR #14499
Too close to Max....NEVER run that close....If you ever have a failure....(besides the potential damages)....insurance company will investigate....and if you are over by 1 lb....you will be left holding all the bills...ALWAYS over rate with a comfortable margin..
I know the masses will argue that these hitches (all) are over rated anyway...not smart to rely on that scenario...

2015 Redwood 38RL.....25k hitch.....2016 F-450
__________________
wintertree is offline  
Old 01-04-2020, 09:43 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 3,375
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertree View Post
Too close to Max....NEVER run that close....If you ever have a failure....(besides the potential damages)....insurance company will investigate....and if you are over by 1 lb....you will be left holding all the bills...ALWAYS over rate with a comfortable margin..
I know the masses will argue that these hitches (all) are over rated anyway...not smart to rely on that scenario...

2015 Redwood 38RL.....25k hitch.....2016 F-450
Another unsubstantiated insurance company internet rumor.

At least in the USA; if you are insured, you are still insured when you break the law or do something stupid. What do you think causes accidents anyway? Not everybody following the rules.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
16ACE27 is offline  
Old 01-04-2020, 10:38 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Alberta
Posts: 3
THOR #14499
no argument about the "stupid " comment....here in Canada....atleast a couple of provinces (BC & Ontario).... the insurance companies going after the insured to cover costs is not uncommon (google ICBC)
__________________
wintertree is offline  
Old 01-04-2020, 11:29 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,692
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Here is another reason to have a LB. This is a GREAT tool box one can have towing a 5er. 30" front to back and bed height. This toolbox will last a lifetime as it's made by HighWay Products. Same people that make aluminum products for the Trucking Industry.

I was LUCKY to find this one on CL in 09 or so and used it I'm my 98 RAM, 11 RAM and current 15. New they are just over $1,000, I was luck to find this for $350.

This is the hitch to have with a LB also. Simple solid latching system. OH, they are both Made In USA.

Is this a fuel tank tool box combo unit?
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline  
Old 01-05-2020, 12:15 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 3,375
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertree View Post
no argument about the "stupid " comment....here in Canada....atleast a couple of provinces (BC & Ontario).... the insurance companies going after the insured to cover costs is not uncommon (google ICBC)
Kinda defeats the purpose of insurance if the insurance company tries to recover their "coverage" from their insured if their insured was found to be at fault. Can you buy insurance to protect yourself from your insurance company in this case?
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
16ACE27 is offline  
Old 01-05-2020, 02:26 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
wingnut60's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
State: Texas
Posts: 669
THOR #3109
That appears to be a toolbox only.
__________________
2015 38RSSA now it's our home
2005 36TK3--retired, but it was a good one
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline  
Old 01-05-2020, 04:48 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,692
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
That appears to be a toolbox only.
I know you can not see a filler neck on top, but I thought you had to lift the lid on some of them.
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline  
Old 01-05-2020, 04:56 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
wingnut60's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
State: Texas
Posts: 669
THOR #3109
Ryan, you're right--could be a tank filler under the lid.
__________________

__________________
2015 38RSSA now it's our home
2005 36TK3--retired, but it was a good one
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×