Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Build question

From DRV’s website.

Specifications
15" Custom Triple Box Tube Frame
101" Wide Body Frame
Goodyear® 17 1/2" H-Rated Tires
Automotive Disc Brakes
SeeLevel Tank Monitor
3 1/4" Thick Walls with Foam Core
100 Gallon Fresh Water Tank
75 Gallon Gray Water Tank
50 Gallon Black Water Tank
12 Gallon Hot Water Heater

When did DRV start installing foam in the walls?

Old 07-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Probably a process adopted when Thor bought them? Most of the larger Thor MH's have the foam core insulation.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 07-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thor Industries issued a press release back in January, 2015; that discussed the purchase of DRV.
It might be interesting to see if you could find the specifications for 2015 and 2016 models, and see if that's when the change occurred.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #4

THOR #11130
I remember seeing some posts a while back about the loose fiberglass insulation in DRV's vibrating down into the bottom sections of the walls...leaving very little protection between the outer and inner walls. Not sure if it was just the front caps or the entire wall systems, but this seems to be an improvement as the foam panels will stay put and offer more consistent coverage.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #5

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
There has been NO change in the insulation methods used. Unless they made the change today. I'm fairly sure that what they are referring to is the "foam core" wall panels. It is a multi layer manufactured panel that has a foam core and the outside layers are vapor barriers. They are still using batts in the walls. Never had a problem with 'vibrating down into the bottom of the walls'. The problem they have is the nose and rear caps. There is no inside wall pressing against the batt to hold them in place, thus they can fall down. Not true with the side walls. "foam panels" offer less R value per inch of thickness than batt, NOT "Loose fill". Although foam panels may be a better method for the caps. Actual blown in fiberglass in these 2 locations would be my preference.

Bill
Old 07-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #6

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Bill is exactly correct! There has been NO change to how the side walls are insulated. We were just at DRV two weeks ago for the rally. They are trying to address the insulation dropping behind the end caps, we were told they're trying methods to "retain" the insulation so it won't drop. We'll see, "the jury is still out" on that subject.

NO foam core here!

Dan
Old 07-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #7

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Thor Industries issued a press release back in January, 2015; that discussed the purchase of DRV.
It might be interesting to see if you could find the specifications for 2015 and 2016 models, and see if that's when the change occurred.
2015 models did not state that. This is why I posted it up.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #8

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
Bill is exactly correct! There has been NO change to how the side walls are insulated. We were just at DRV two weeks ago for the rally. They are trying to address the insulation dropping behind the end caps, we were told they're trying methods to "retain" the insulation so it won't drop. We'll see, "the jury is still out" on that subject.

NO foam core here!

Dan
Dan, strange why they changed their verbage on the standard features list on the website. I was just wondering if they changed there building procedure.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #9

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Probably a process adopted when Thor bought them? Most of the larger Thor MH's have the foam core insulation.
Most RVs do not have 3 1/4 wall either.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:08 PM   #10

THOR #1658
Please look at what section you guys are posting in. As DRV is a different rig then all of the other ones Thor owns. Our build is totally different.
Maybe I should start threads with DRV?
Old 07-08-2019, 08:47 PM   #11

THOR #11130
It's a general discussion...Nothing exclusive about nothing anymore.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #12

THOR #1658
Quote:
It's a general discussion...Nothing exclusive about nothing anymore.
How is it a general discussion? I posted this in the DRV specific section. And even stated in the thread that this was on DRV’s website, not Thor’s homepage. I understand that people try to be helpful, but if irrelevant information is posted, why post it? The point is being on point, topic. Several members post in the DRV section all the time and give advice that does not apply to our rig. It is nothing new, but it does get old.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #13

THOR #11130
..." if irrelevant information is posted"...

What I posted was directly related to your "general question"...and it's probably a spot-on explanation...time will tell. Thor owns DRV and lots of production differences will become more and more centralized as time goes on. This is a Thor Forum...with many different models...including DRV trailers. Welcome to "our" family!!
Old 07-08-2019, 09:56 PM   #14

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Ryan, while on our tour of the DRV plant our guide told us "very little has changed since the Thor take-over, in fact quality is some areas has improved." Not sure I would agree to that entire statement. My observation after taking this tour a couple of weeks ago, not much has changed since the last tour we were on. They for sure have made some subtle changes, interior design/colors, some engineering changes, one that sticks out in my mind, they added an extra strut support for the fresh water tank. There were many of these " little" changes that I can't remember off the top of my head.

The subject of water intrusion especially in the slides was brought up in our group, we were assured that DRV has investigated AND corrected. That's according to the rep at DRV anyway.

DRV, SEVERAL times told us as a large group at the rally they DO monitor the forums and FB and "try" to pay attention to trouble areas. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt but I KNOW there are several owners with huge issues that would beg to differ!! All in all we've had good fortune with OUR rig, that's NOT to say it's been problem free however but I can think of worse units to own.

Dan
Old 07-08-2019, 10:31 PM   #15

THOR #1658
Quote:
Ryan, while on our tour of the DRV plant our guide told us "very little has changed since the Thor take-over, in fact quality is some areas has improved." Not sure I would agree to that entire statement. My observation after taking this tour a couple of weeks ago, not much has changed since the last tour we were on. They for sure have made some subtle changes, interior design/colors, some engineering changes, one that sticks out in my mind, they added an extra strut support for the fresh water tank. There were many of these " little" changes that I can't remember off the top of my head.

The subject of water intrusion especially in the slides was brought up in our group, we were assured that DRV has investigated AND corrected. That's according to the rep at DRV anyway.

DRV, SEVERAL times told us as a large group at the rally they DO monitor the forums and FB and "try" to pay attention to trouble areas. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt but I KNOW there are several owners with huge issues that would beg to differ!! All in all we've had good fortune with OUR rig, that's NOT to say it's been problem free however but I can think of worse units to own.

Dan
Dan, thanks for the reply.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:49 PM   #16

THOR #1658
Quote:

What I posted was directly related to your "general question"...and it's probably a spot-on explanation...time will tell. Thor owns DRV and lots of production differences will become more and more centralized as time goes on. This is a Thor Forum...with many different models...including DRV trailers. Welcome to "our" family!!
Again how was it a general question? I asked specifically about DRV’s insulation in the DRV section. I’m aware that motor homes insulation and heck all other trailers insulate differently as there walls are not 3 1/4 thick. Why you want to debate that every RV is built the same is CRAZY! I honestly was expecting you to say my bad, most motorhomes are constructed with foam in the walls and I did not pick up on it was on a DRV as I just look at all new posts and do not look to see what section they were posted in.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:15 AM   #17

Model: Memphis
THOR #2341
Quote:

Dan

Wish they would pay my repair bill.... And they only monitor if you say crappy things about them....
Old 07-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #18

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Rynosback is 100% correct. When we are talking about oranges on an orange oriented site and you are talking about bananas on the orange site it helps nothing. Just some people trying to boost their post count is all I can guess. Or in at least one instance someone with nothing useful to do but surf the web all day making noise. And impressing people with juvenile pictures and videos.

Bill
Old 07-09-2019, 11:56 PM   #19

THOR #1658
Quote:

This forums layout. I’m a visual person so I illustrating my point.

Key-
RED IS THE GENERAL SECTION
GREEN IS THE SPECIFIC SECTIONS ABOUT PARTICULAR MAKES OWNED BY THOR

Sorry for the separate image, I could not get it all to fit in one screen shot.
What I suspect is happing is that people click on “New Posts” at the top. This shows you all new threads and posts that are new on the whole forum. Not just the general section. In doing it this way, people need to pay attention to what sections these threads are in.
I post in different sections, but it is specifically about what the poster is asking. An example, the poster had concerns about voltage fluctuations. I recommend getting an EMS system and an Auto former to take care of all of there concerns. I replied in more detail, but hopefully you get the point.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #20

THOR #11130
Too much coffee...pure and simple.
Closed Thread