Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird View Post
Maybe I don't get out enough () but where I'm at in Patagonia, AZ there is a Landmark 5er besides me. He has a 50 amp cord hocked up AND a 30 amp cord hocked up. He has three ac's and both him and the owner of this campsite never heard of 100 amps coming off of a 50 amp plug. I'm not arguing with you guys, just wondering. I do just fine with my 50 amp service and autoformer until I get into a state park with only a 30 amp. I also understand how a 240 service can split into two 120's and feed different curcuits 120. I guess I'm just trying to understand why they just don't call it a 100 amp plugin instead of a 50 amp plugin?
It is called a 50 amp service because it has 50 amps of 240 volt power available. Think of 120 volt power as a two or three wire plug like you normally find in your home. A two wire plug will have a L1 (hot leg) and a N (neutral) wire to carry the current. A three wire 120 volt circuit (like most 3 prong cords in your home) Will have L1 (hot leg), N (neutral) and G (safety ground).

A 240 volt circuit consists of two 120 volt circuits at opposite phases (think of a sine wave). These are L1 and L2. When you connect them together, you get 240 volts, connect one of them to a neutral and you get 120 volts.

For a three wire 240 circuit (like a welding machine) you have L1 (hot leg), L2 (hot leg) and G (safety ground). If you are going to a modern, 240 volt appliance (like a clothes dryer) that requires a 120 volt control circuit, you need 4 wires. Those will be L1 (hot leg), L2 (hot leg), N (neutral) and G (safety ground). That way you can make a 120 volt circuit (L1, N and G) or a 240 volt circuit (L1, L2 and G) from the 4 wires.

Note that in a 120 volt circuit, you can use either of the two hot legs (L1 and L2) as both will give you 120 volts when made into a circuit with a neutral. Like noted above, if you look at your pedestal, there will be a double 50 amp breaker that has each hot leg attached (L1 and L2) running thru each side to give you the 50 amps of 120 volt power on the first breaker and 50 amps of 120 volt power on the second breaker.

I sure hope your campground owner isn't the site electrician as well.

GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:21 PM   #22

State: South Dakota
I'm getting an education! Thanks for explaining that and sorry original poster, didn't mean to hijack your thread! I have no idea if the owner wired this place but he was telling me about all the inspections he had to go thru. Like a new well and a $3,600 water test, that's insane!

Glenn 08 36tk3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #23

Model: 36RSSB3
State: West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I have no problem running 3 AC's along with Residential frig and electric WH. 50A on each leg allows for a lot of consumption. If you buy or order from Rolling Retreats every RV will have 3 AC's.
Couldn't put a 3rd on our 36RSSB3, was told that from manufacturer, but 2 have worked for us thus far.. unit much shorter than yours

Jim
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #24

Model: 36rssb
State: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Hauler View Post
Couldn't put a 3rd on our 36RSSB3, was told that from manufacturer, but 2 have worked for us thus far.. unit much shorter than yours

Jim
Strange,i ordered a 36 looked at it on line last week it has 3 a.c.'s and wineguard on the roof
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #25

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
Strange,i ordered a 36 looked at it on line last week it has 3 a.c.'s and wineguard on the roof

Rolling Retreats even puts 3 AC's on the 32' units.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #26

Model: 36RSSB3
State: West Virginia
OK, being the stupid one in here, I purchased mine off the lot. I've never ordered one.."Supposedly. When I asked to have a 3rd one put on at Dealership, THEY're the ones that told me that a 3rd one couldn't be put in.. Probably because they were too inept?? I was too stupid to know better I guess.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #27

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
All,

Refering back to my earlier Post (#14 this topic), as of noon today the replacement AC has been installed on our 2 year old (purchased on 30May15) 2016 Vegas 24.1...and all done under warranty.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Hauler View Post
OK, being the stupid one in here, I purchased mine off the lot. I've never ordered one.."Supposedly. When I asked to have a 3rd one put on at Dealership, THEY're the ones that told me that a 3rd one couldn't be put in.. Probably because they were too inept?? I was too stupid to know better I guess.

I would agree it would be a MAJOR job to add a 3rd AC and have it ducted like the rest of the system.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #29

Model: 39DBRS3
State: Arizona
Hats off to Mohave RV and Marine in Bullhead City AZ. Went in a week ago yesterday in the afternoon about our dead AC. They ordered it under warranty on Monday had it shipped 2 day and installed it Thursday. No charge for the 2 day. We hit the road for the summer on Tuesday...
Bobi, Dick and Ruby McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobi, Dick and Ruby McKee View Post
Hats off to Mohave RV and Marine in Bullhead City AZ. Went in a week ago yesterday in the afternoon about our dead AC. They ordered it under warranty on Monday had it shipped 2 day and installed it Thursday. No charge for the 2 day. We hit the road for the summer on Tuesday...

That's how service should be!

Enjoy your Summer.