Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2016, 03:54 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 36rssb
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3288
Car port

Prepping a site for a car port for a drv 36 I plan on ordering next spring.Im thinking 14 wide by 14 tall by 45 long.I realize I will not be able to open slides at this width.Thinking about enclosing both sides and end to 1 foot from grade level.Any comments or thoughts appreciated.I am grading now,let it sit over winter then put up carport and cement.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #2

Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Tennessee
THOR #1668
I think you will regret not being able to open slides. I have a 36' and you cannot get to anything when the slides are closed. You will want to get in for several reasons once you have it. Your 14' height will be cutting it close also. You will probably want the 2" risers added to the frame when you order your coach. So that puts you higher.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
I would think you would want to make the dimensions 16' wide and
15' tall. My 34E MH is 12'-2" tall at the AC units. And yes it would
be better to be able to open the slides at least a little bit.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #4

THOR #1668
Just to add a note: I have a 2016 model and the instructions on the slides are to open and close all the way. Not doing so can effect proper operation. 16' would do it. You would just have to make sure you are pulled under your carport in the right spot. I have tape on the driveway to guide me into mine. I just align the wheels with the tape.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #5

THOR #3288
Tneagle ,what length is your carport? I I am ordering 2" risers so 15 feet tall.I can do 16 feet wide will just need to bring in more fill,site tapers off.Thanks for feedback.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #6

THOR #1668
Mine is 40'. Just fits.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #7

Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
I think I'd want the ability to have all the slides open plus have clearance on the roof, just in case I wanted to work on something but didn't want to have to pull the coach out to do that. With that in mind, I'd certainly want a pretty good peak on a carport to allow me to get around on the roof.

Terry
Old 05-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #8

THOR #1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry and Jo View Post
I think I'd want the ability to have all the slides open plus have clearance on the roof, just in case I wanted to work on something but didn't want to have to pull the coach out to do that. With that in mind, I'd certainly want a pretty good peak on a carport to allow me to get around on the roof.

Terry
I agree. I have had to crawl between the rafters more than once.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #9

Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
Carport

I'm looking at 46 long. Enclosed on three sides.
With 14 foot tall sides walls, I would not have a gable in the front.
With 15 foot tall sides walls, I could have a gable, which is more esthetic pleasing.

My rig is 13' 6" tall.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #10

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 38SQ
State: North Carolina
THOR #799
Mine is 14' wide and I can put out all four slides. But since you are enclosing three sides I would make it either 16 or 18 feet wide so you have room to walk around your MH with the slides out. The cost should be the same as far as the carport is concerned.

You may want to consider having a sewer connection as well as water hookup if you can. I don't have either but would have loved to have a at least the sewer dump.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #11

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 38SQ
State: North Carolina
THOR #799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tneagle View Post
I have tape on the driveway to guide me into mine. I just align the wheels with the tape.
Instead of tape I used reflective road markers. As long as I'm in-between them on both sides I know I can put all four slides out.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #12

THOR #3288
I am prepping a site for a car port.Like to enclose rear and sides.Thinking about panels down 3 feet then roll up vinyl on street side.Would give more access to street side.Dont know how much of a PITA the roll up vinyl would be though.Will need to check that out.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #13

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
I had enough room here at the home place in frozen Nebraska, sos I built a 60' x 120' pole barn with 20' wide slider doors on each end. I keep it about 1/2 full of renters during the summer but when I head south for the winter it is 100% full. 12 renters last winter. Everybody rents in 6 month blocks. Paid for it's self long ago. Pays for my rent down south + a little extra. 14' side walls and the roof trusses are 10' on center. Everybody has room to work on their unit if needed. It's easier to say "well, I quess I didn't need all that room" than to try and make it larger later.

Bill
Old 06-16-2016, 08:16 PM   #14

THOR #3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I had enough room here at the home place in frozen Nebraska, sos I built a 60' x 120' pole barn with 20' wide slider doors on each end. I keep it about 1/2 full of renters during the summer but when I head south for the winter it is 100% full. 12 renters last winter. Everybody rents in 6 month blocks. Paid for it's self long ago. Pays for my rent down south + a little extra. 14' side walls and the roof trusses are 10' on center. Everybody has room to work on their unit if needed. It's easier to say "well, I quess I didn't need all that room" than to try and make it larger later.

Bill
I agree.IN 1993 I thought id build a 30x40 machine shed.That would have been big enough for my stuff at the time.Then I thought ill go 40 x63 and have extra room.Well I don't have any extra room its full.Ive come to realize what ever size your going to build eventually you will fill it.So now im building a carport which will be along side of machine shed.Jim