Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 03:22 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 39DBRS3
State: Illinois
THOR #12121
Ceiling fan

The ceiling fan in our new 2018 39DBRS3 seems to not be attached to anything above the ceiling. It just flops around and I can lift and push it in whatever direction. Up, down, left, right, whatever, it just seems to be hanging on the recess panel inletted into the ceiling. This can't be good. Others have this issue and what was your solution?

Joe

Distinguished Rifle #1506
NRA Highmaster
jpjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:07 AM   #2

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjulian View Post
The ceiling fan in our new 2018 39DBRS3 seems to not be attached to anything above the ceiling. It just flops around and I can lift and push it in whatever direction. Up, down, left, right, whatever, it just seems to be hanging on the recess panel inletted into the ceiling. This can't be good. Others have this issue and what was your solution?

Joe
Joe, I would take the fan down. As it would SUCK if it fell down and caused damage. I would contact your dealer and if they are not helping, I would then contact Greg Weldon at DRV. AND I would not even bother putting the OE fan back up as it does not move any air. I have a thread started about a GREAT replacement.
Ryan
Old 08-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #3

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Welcome to the club.
Our 2019 DBRS3 dropped the ceiling fan at one month old and damaged the housing and broke a fan blade.

Staples are not the answer to secure the fan to the ceiling.

Thor Forums - View Single Post - A functional ceiling fan!!

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #4

Model: 39RESB3
State: Florida
THOR #5499
Quote:

Joe
Joe, you certainly need to pull fan down. There should be a metal box that is suppose to be secured to the joist with screws. If not, this is what needs to be installed to give the new fan a secure attachment. Like others have stated, the original fan is junk and being so close to the ceiling, it produces no air. There are several photos of new fans installed on this site. If we can help further, please ask. We are all here to learn from one another!
juicesqueezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:25 PM   #5

THOR #4314
We had no air being delivered downward with our ceiling fan also. I noticed the fan was rotating in wrong direction. There is a switch on the side of the fan that allows it to reverse the rotation. I reversed the rotation and now get downward air flow. Not great air flow but enough that you can feel it if you stand under it.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #6

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf-bears View Post
We had no air being delivered downward with our ceiling fan also. I noticed the fan was rotating in wrong direction. There is a switch on the side of the fan that allows it to reverse the rotation. I reversed the rotation and now get downward air flow. Not great air flow but enough that you can feel it if you stand under it.
True about the switch, but since the fan is so close to the ceiling, little air is provided. Those of us who removed the factory fan and installed a new with drop down rod, are very happy!
Old 08-26-2018, 02:35 AM   #7

THOR #12121
No, I haven't spoken with our dealer. The dealer is about 150 miles from home so I am attempting to fix what I can myself to save the travel expenses. I'll have to review your thread on a replacement fan. I just find it incredible that a $150K coach is put together with staples. I hope I am not witnessing shortcuts initiated by Thor causing quality issues as I've seen on Heartland units, (former Bighorn owner).

Joe
NRA Highmaster
Old 08-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #8

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
These guys are IDIOTS when it comes to proper fasteners!!!
Old 09-04-2018, 06:20 AM   #9

THOR #12121
I took the fan down a couple days ago. Incredibly the junction box was attached to a 1/2" piece of plywood and that piece was attached with 6 staples to the plywood above. My plan is to remove the staples and junction box and glue the plywood together and secure with 1" wood screws. I'd use longer screws but I think the roof deck is just above and I'm concerned about damaging the roof. I am flabergasted a $150K RV is put together with staples. I might expect this from a Dutchman... but a DRV?!?!?!?!

Joe
NRA Highmaster
Old 09-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #10

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Hey how about using driller screws in wood???

Old 09-05-2018, 03:56 AM   #11

THOR #12121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Hey how about using driller screws in wood???

Not at all sure what a driller screw is but I decided to go a different direction by using a ceiling fan support box and brace kit. I'd post a pic but I seem to be technically challenged posting a photo. The support box and brace seems to me to be a much better mouse trap, so to speak, for mounting the fan.

Joe
NRA Highmaster
Old 09-05-2018, 05:37 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
THOR #3916
Staples???? Oh Man.......speechless.............
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #13

THOR #5499
Quote:
Not at all sure what a driller screw is but I decided to go a different direction by using a ceiling fan support box and brace kit. I'd post a pic but I seem to be technically challenged posting a photo. The support box and brace seems to me to be a much better mouse trap, so to speak, for mounting the fan.

Joe
I believe the OP is referring to self tapping screws and should not be use to secure anything to wood! That is what a wood screw is for!
Old 09-15-2018, 03:27 AM   #14

THOR #12121
The ceiling brace didn't work as I had hoped for. I had everything put back together but discovered the brace positioned the junction box about 1/2" too low for the plastic trim panel to be re-installed. Crap! What I ended up doing is using Heavy Duty Liquid Nails, and lots of it, to re-install the plywood panel to the ceiling and let it cure for 2 days. I finished putting the fan up today and all seems good, except for the junction box again. Somehow, even though I thought all was where it was supposed to be, the junction box is off center just enough for the decorative piece going around the motor doesn't fit. To hell with it. I don't watch the fan go 'round and 'round and can do without it. The fan is up. It seems to be a solid install. There's no wobble or noise when running. I'm good. DW maybe not so much but I can deal with that later.

Joe
NRA Highmaster
Old 09-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #15

THOR #5499
Quote:
The ceiling brace didn't work as I had hoped for. I had everything put back together but discovered the brace positioned the junction box about 1/2" too low for the plastic trim panel to be re-installed. Crap! What I ended up doing is using Heavy Duty Liquid Nails, and lots of it, to re-install the plywood panel to the ceiling and let it cure for 2 days. I finished putting the fan up today and all seems good, except for the junction box again. Somehow, even though I thought all was where it was supposed to be, the junction box is off center just enough for the decorative piece going around the motor doesn't fit. To hell with it. I don't watch the fan go 'round and 'round and can do without it. The fan is up. It seems to be a solid install. There's no wobble or noise when running. I'm good. DW maybe not so much but I can deal with that later.

Joe
Sorry to hear that you had so much trouble with fan. I wish you could post a photo of the box and decorated cover. However, Home Depot, Lowes and others have decor covers that may work. Bottom line, if mama isn't happy, nobody is happy! Food for thought! If you were heading down to south Florida, I would be glad to help you fix your issue.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #16

THOR #4522
After I replaced my factory fan, see photos on Ryan’s (Rynosback) thread, I started worrying about the factory stapling of the plywood panel. My fan seemed to be firmly attached. I took the fan down and screwed angle brackets onto the 2x4s running fore and aft on either side of the recess in the ceiling. I then screwed the angles onto the plywood that is stapled above. This should keep the fan from falling. I would like to take credit for the idea, but it was suggested on a response on Ryan’s thread.
John
ilpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #17

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilpuller View Post
After I replaced my factory fan, see photos on Ryan’s (Rynosback) thread, I started worrying about the factory stapling of the plywood panel. My fan seemed to be firmly attached. I took the fan down and screwed angle brackets onto the 2x4s running fore and aft on either side of the recess in the ceiling. I then screwed the angles onto the plywood that is stapled above. This should keep the fan from falling. I would like to take credit for the idea, but it was suggested on a response on Ryan’s thread.
John
I guess the concern there is make sure those extra screws are not to long and go through the roof.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #18

THOR #4522
Yes, one needs to be careful. I used #6 half inch long wood screws so that they would not puncture the roof...John
ilpuller is offline   Reply With Quote