Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-20-2019, 04:03 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,645
THOR #1658
Cell booster?

Anyone using them? If so which one do you have and why? I have AT&T and Verizon that I will use it for.
__________________

__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:30 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
wingnut60's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
State: Texas
Posts: 665
THOR #3109
Ryan,
I have been using a Weboost--seems to work, but the phone needs to be rather close to the inside transmitter in my case. Was outside of Wheatland, WY, with 1 bar ATT signal. Powered up the booster, raised the antenna 6 ft above trailer, got 3 bars and was able to get online with hotspot. Sometimes, doesn't seem to do much, other times, can't get by without it. I can say, the higher the antenna, the better it gets the signal. But to my thinking, it is not as simple as Weboost advertises.
Joe
__________________

__________________
2015 38RSSA now it's our home
2005 36TK3--retired, but it was a good one
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:32 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,645
THOR #1658
Thanks for the feedback Joe. I have been looking at a Weeboost as it works with most networks. The reviews seem to be hit or miss like you experienced. Which model are you using?
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 355
THOR #12830
I got a cradle to keep it against the antenna and then use a blue tooth handset. For the phone works great. Emails etc not so much.
__________________
2017 Mercedes Chateau Citation 24SR, flat towing at times a 2013 Honda CRV or two Rad Power electric bikes depending on the trip.
Yaktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
State: Texas
Posts: 257
THOR #9543
What wing said. A couple of years ago, I tried 2 different main/popular brands; WeBoost and something else. It appeared that if we had signal on the phone anyway, it may have boosted one bar. With no signal, then still no signal. Had ordered from Amazon, so returned both.
__________________
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
DonandPatti's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
Posts: 163
THOR #4040
Weboost antenna

We do a lot of streaming on our laptop for our TV content. About a year ago we purchased https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-4g-x-rv
cellular antenna. It has worked very well.
It is mounted on an 8 ft. PVC pole located on our ladder using Flag Pole Buddy pole mounts.
We use an ATT hotspot for our wifi in and out of the camper. When inside the camper we put the hotspot about 1-2 feet away from the weboost inside antenna and everything works fine.

Enjoy the road. We do.

Don
__________________
https://mydrvpictures.shutterfly.com
2016 38RSSA
FB Paint, induction cooktop, 3" Riser, solar, 4 batteries, Cheap Heat, MorRyde Steps
2017 F450 Lariat, CC, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. Retrax, TS3 Hitch, 55g aux.tank, 200 psi air system

DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:01 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,645
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonandPatti View Post
We do a lot of streaming on our laptop for our TV content. About a year ago we purchased https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-4g-x-rv
cellular antenna. It has worked very well.
It is mounted on an 8 ft. PVC pole located on our ladder using Flag Pole Buddy pole mounts.
We use an ATT hotspot for our wifi in and out of the camper. When inside the camper we put the hotspot about 1-2 feet away from the weboost inside antenna and everything works fine.

Enjoy the road. We do.

Don
Do you just run the outside antenna cable under the slide between the floor and slide seal? So you would have to fish it though every time you wanted to hook it up?
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
DonandPatti's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
Posts: 163
THOR #4040
Cable connection

I ran a cable connection up through the power cord reel area. I have a floor mounted cable connection between the sofa and the wall. See attachments below.

Don



Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Do you just run the outside antenna cable under the slide between the floor and slide seal? So you would have to fish it though every time you wanted to hook it up?
Attached Images
 
__________________
https://mydrvpictures.shutterfly.com
2016 38RSSA
FB Paint, induction cooktop, 3" Riser, solar, 4 batteries, Cheap Heat, MorRyde Steps
2017 F450 Lariat, CC, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. Retrax, TS3 Hitch, 55g aux.tank, 200 psi air system

DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
Posts: 285
THOR #3221
Ryan, I talked with a gentleman parked near me at the rally, he ran his coax through the slide seals near the entertainment center. NO drilling, he showed me the special cable he used, it was flat so as to not interfere with the seals too badly.

The guy I talked to to was using a We-boost Connect RV 65 set up with "mixed" results. By that I mean he told me some times he gets good signal and data results and in some areas he gets a good cell signal (talk) but not such a good data signal. He claims it varies quite a bit depending on where you are. At Elkhart Campground (on Verizon's system) he told me his data signal "stunk".... whatever THAT'S supposed to mean.

Dan
__________________
dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
DonandPatti's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
Posts: 163
THOR #4040
Good reception

Dan,

I had very good reception at the Rally. My advantage may be that I put my ATT hotspot near the indoor weboost antenna. The weboost will increase the hotspot to 4 bars and then the laptop and all of my devices are working fine. I even have wifi while working around the RV.

I like using the hotspot because you can take it with you wherever you go and always have wifi.

Take care.

Don





Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
Ryan, I talked with a gentleman parked near me at the rally, he ran his coax through the slide seals near the entertainment center. NO drilling, he showed me the special cable he used, it was flat so as to not interfere with the seals too badly.

The guy I talked to to was using a We-boost Connect RV 65 set up with "mixed" results. By that I mean he told me some times he gets good signal and data results and in some areas he gets a good cell signal (talk) but not such a good data signal. He claims it varies quite a bit depending on where you are. At Elkhart Campground (on Verizon's system) he told me his data signal "stunk".... whatever THAT'S supposed to mean.

Dan
__________________
https://mydrvpictures.shutterfly.com
2016 38RSSA
FB Paint, induction cooktop, 3" Riser, solar, 4 batteries, Cheap Heat, MorRyde Steps
2017 F450 Lariat, CC, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. Retrax, TS3 Hitch, 55g aux.tank, 200 psi air system

DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:38 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,645
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonandPatti View Post
Dan,

I had very good reception at the Rally. My advantage may be that I put my ATT hotspot near the indoor weboost antenna. The weboost will increase the hotspot to 4 bars and then the laptop and all of my devices are working fine. I even have wifi while working around the RV.

I like using the hotspot because you can take it with you wherever you go and always have wifi.

Take care.

Don
Don,
In my research I found out that to get the best boost, you want to have your device with in inches of the inside antenna to get the full benefit.
Ryan
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:30 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
Posts: 285
THOR #3221
Thanks for the info Don.

Dan
__________________
dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:14 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: New Jersey
Posts: 368
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
At Elkhart Campground (on Verizon's system) he told me his data signal "stunk".... whatever THAT'S supposed to mean.

Dan
I think the verizon data was poor as well at the CG
__________________
Thanks,
Duane

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2011 F-350
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
wingnut60's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
State: Texas
Posts: 665
THOR #3109
Just an update on my WeBoost-- in a nice CG near Oakridge, OR. In a canyon and ATT is spotty, off/on at one bar/no service. Connected the WeBoost and immediately got 1 solid bar on phones in trailer. Going next to the transmitter, have 3 bars, easy to get online as I am now. Did not have to raise the outside antenna at all. Could not get online without the booster, so it does work, at least this time.
Joe
__________________
2015 38RSSA now it's our home
2005 36TK3--retired, but it was a good one
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,645
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Just an update on my WeBoost-- in a nice CG near Oakridge, OR. In a canyon and ATT is spotty, off/on at one bar/no service. Connected the WeBoost and immediately got 1 solid bar on phones in trailer. Going next to the transmitter, have 3 bars, easy to get online as I am now. Did not have to raise the outside antenna at all. Could not get online without the booster, so it does work, at least this time.
Joe
Joe,
Which system of theirs are you using?
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
wingnut60's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
State: Texas
Posts: 665
THOR #3109
WeBoost RG-X RV
__________________
2015 38RSSA now it's our home
2005 36TK3--retired, but it was a good one
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Long & Winding road's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
Posts: 2,367
THOR #12231
I have the WeBoost 4G RV with the antenna attached to the top of my ladder and it works pretty well.

I consistantly get one to two bars more signal. But the true tests is doing a speed test on line (which I dont do) but I have seen reviews and they consistantly faster than without.

You need your phone or mifi right next to the inside antenna to get the best signal.

Its a must if your trying to work out of your RV like I do.

I think they are working on one for 5G now? (but im sure it will do 4G and 3G line mine does).

So make sure you get the latest version.
__________________
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, Fresh water surge tank, Black Tank Tornado flush, 4999 zip ties.
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
thor293's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
Posts: 608
THOR #1620
I use the Weboost 4G-m, like has been said it usually improves the signal but not always. I mounted my hotspot to the front of the wilson antenna I bought to replace the little one they give you. I also bought the weboost truck antenna and have it mounted to my tv antenna, when I crank it up it goes up also. Overall I am happy with it but not sure it was worth the money. I also just had the power supply go out, they want about $45 for theirs I bought one for $15 and it works perfect.
__________________

__________________
2015 Thor A.C.E. 29.3
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Ohio FMCA 317123
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×