Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: PS3 Elite
State: Minnesota
THOR #3564
Different Level Up Problem

I was dry camping in a field for a music festival last weekend and almost had to abandon my fiver. The front jacks would not lift. The hydraulics for the four aft levelers and the slides worked just fine. The front jacks seemed to have no power to lift. They eventually would raise the front just enough I was able to get the truck underneath. This took a total of five minutes with multiple attempts. The front jacks will raise and lower with no problem when not under load. They will hold position or lower as desired under load. The darn things will not lift more than 1/2" under load. Any ideas?

2013 HD Ultra Limited
AlmostRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #2

Model: 36RSSB3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4763
Possibly bad seal in one or both front landing jacks.. What year and model do you have? Might be the pump. Have you called DRV or Lippert?

Jim
Old 06-13-2017, 11:39 PM   #3

THOR #3564
I called and wasn't too impressed. Didn't ask what year or anything. Just said to find the 5/32 hex on the top of one leg and turn clockwise to open. If it works it might be the valve or the pump. If it's the pump...big bucks. Thanks for calling.
No concern or volunteering for more specific assistance. I told him the pics in their manual doesn't relate to my layout and it was, "Beullar, Beullar." I was hoping someone experienced the same thing in the past and could dumb it down for me. I think I'm the lowest common denominator among Mobile Suites owners.
2013 HD Ultra Limited
Old 06-13-2017, 11:44 PM   #4

THOR #3564
Sorry, my rig is a 2016 ES PS3.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:05 AM   #5

Model: 38RSSA
State: Ontario
THOR #5001
Just a thought, you were dry camping. What is the state of your batteries? Have you tried the front jacks with fully charged batteries?
Old 06-14-2017, 01:54 AM   #6

THOR #3564
That's an intelligent question. Yes, the batteries were fully charged minus four hours of running the fridge. I don't try to save $30 a day by not running the generator. We evacuated the area due to storms with 70 mph winds the morning of breaking camp. The generator and air conditioners run all night when I camp at music festivals. It's the only way to drown out the impromptu parties that invariably break out. I'm still young enough to give the party people room to play. I was young once too. I will admit that after running the generator for a while, the lift did increase by a couple tenths of a degree which enabled me to get the hitch under it. I didn't store the camper right this past winter and the batteries (2 yrs old) went completely dead. I mean dead. Deader than my ex-wife to me, dead. They have run my fridge and fans for 24+ hrs but the damage was done. I'm not afraid to spend money where it's needed and thought I might have ruined my 4 six volt batteries. Do I spend my retirement dollars on new batteries or fixing a hydraulic pump? I warned you...I really am a dumb A when it comes to this stuff. Lovable....but still a dumb A!
2013 HD Ultra Limited
Old 06-14-2017, 02:55 AM   #7

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
So now that the coach has been on shore power for a while the batteries are hopefully in float state. Have you attempt to raise and lower the nose? Is it still slow and straining?
You said the slides and rear rams worked fine, perhaps the pump is OK, and it's an issue isolated to the front rams.
With everything in / retracted is the hydraulic fluid reservoir up to the full mark?
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #8

State: Ontario
THOR #5001
Completely draining the batteries can led to permanent loss of capacity. 4 hours of fridge operation, depending on the fridges demand, can also take a lot of amp hours. I would suggest checking battery electrolyte levels, and then giving them a good charge. Also check the connections on the batteries and to the hydraulic pump Rtrombetta for tightness and cleanliness. Then give it another try. Good luck!
Old 06-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #9

Model: Mobile Suite 38RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #3749
We had same issue on our 2011 MS, there is a pressure valve (??) inside pump, can't be replaced. The pump builds enough pressure to work bAck jacks but won't lift front. We ended up assisting with a bottle jack enough to raise to get on truck. Replaced pump and no other issues, this was after Lippert told me it was front jack seals. Finally talk to someone who new how to diagnose and found issue
Old 06-14-2017, 11:43 PM   #10

THOR #4763
One of the first things that was replace when my hydraulics went crazy was the pump.... no help, replaced one front ram.. didn't work... then Lippert ace Service guy, Ron McCoy put the two new front Rams in and actually removed the single manifold.. The hydraulics are even different now...

Jim
Old 06-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #11

Model: 38 RSSA
State: Florida
THOR #2055
My problem is a little different. My front jacks will lower themselves when the fiver is hooked up to the truck no load on. Does not happen all the time. If I run he jacks up and down a few times they then stay up. Fluid is up to par. They lift just fine and back jacks work fine. Lippert wants 3G to take care of the issue. I will find a different solution.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #12

THOR #4763
Mine also did that... I had to to tie the curb side front up, block off door slide so it wouldn't come out, and finally had to tie up the two back Rams on the curb side. EVERYTHING fixed when two new front jacks installed.. EVERYTHING works fine now.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:03 PM   #13

State: Maryland
THOR #4040
Bigfoot Levelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by retispcsi View Post
My problem is a little different. My front jacks will lower themselves when the fiver is hooked up to the truck no load on. Does not happen all the time. If I run he jacks up and down a few times they then stay up. Fluid is up to par. They lift just fine and back jacks work fine. Lippert wants 3G to take care of the issue. I will find a different solution.
I have never been a fan of the LevelUp system -- though mine seems to work fine. Before I would spend that kind of money I would contact the Bigfoot Leveler folks and have their system installed on my coach. I had them on a previous 5'ver and they are used on a lot of custom coaches -- New Horizon to be specific. They work great. JMHO

Don
DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #14

Model: 41RSSB4
State: South Dakota
THOR #5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonandPatti View Post
I have never been a fan of the LevelUp system -- though mine seems to work fine. Before I would spend that kind of money I would contact the Bigfoot Leveler folks and have their system installed on my coach. I had them on a previous 5'ver and they are used on a lot of custom coaches -- New Horizon to be specific. They work great. JMHO

Don
I thought Big Foot was good as well, until the jacks behind the wheels started getting water in them because of lack of seal between the res. tank and the pump. The mystery front jack diving was exciting, too.
2011 F350 Dually 6.7 PSD
Fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:17 AM   #15

Model: Dallas
State: Wisconsin
THOR #2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by retispcsi View Post
I called both DRV and Lippert in March......got told to pound sand........seems recently they've changed their tune. Maybe try calling them again. I spent over 1700 dollars on my 2014 coach. They know they have a problem. Suddenly they have fixed a number of coaches.
Good Luck
Old 07-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #16

THOR #3564
Mtntrek and Big Willy were on the money with the problem. Almost $1400 of new AGM batteries fixed the problem. The original ones were so damaged they wouldn't let enough voltage through until they were charged a while. Even then, I had to wait in five minute increments to get the jacks to raise the camper bit by bit. Replaced with 4 new Lifeline AGMs and all is well. I dry camp quite a bit during music festivals and need good batteries anyway. I'm glad I won't be filling batteries with the ol' turkey baster anymore. I was amazed at how much corrosion I had from two seasons of charging and discharging my flooded batteries.
2013 HD Ultra Limited
Old 07-22-2017, 01:33 AM   #17

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostRetired View Post
Mtntrek and Big Willy were on the money with the problem. Almost $1400 of new AGM batteries fixed the problem. The original ones were so damaged they wouldn't let enough voltage through until they were charged a while. Even then, I had to wait in five minute increments to get the jacks to raise the camper bit by bit. Replaced with 4 new Lifeline AGMs and all is well. I dry camp quite a bit during music festivals and need good batteries anyway. I'm glad I won't be filling batteries with the ol' turkey baster anymore. I was amazed at how much corrosion I had from two seasons of charging and discharging my flooded batteries.
I put flo-rites battery system on my batteries. I also installed terminal washers and spayed with a protectant. I check them every three months and do what is needed.
https://flow-rite.com/battery-watering/pro-fill

Glad to hear that your landing gear issue is fixed.