Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2018, 10:18 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: 39RESB3
State: Florida
THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by heiser252 View Post
Just something to think about. I have done several Trav'ler installs and I always add the base plate under the satellite dish. I do this for a couple of reasons. One it spreads the weight of the dish out over a larger footprint. This probably isn't necessary, but it can't hurt. The other reason is the dish LNB has a roller that rolls on the roof when the dish is stowed. Without the base plate, this roller is rolling and bouncing (after stowing and while driving) on the rubber roof membrane. With the base plate, the roller rolls and stows on the metal baseplate. Here is a link to the base plate: https://amazon.com/Winegard-SKA-008-...ler+base+plate
Have thought about the plate, but have the fiberglass roof, so not sure it is a necessity!

juicesqueezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:21 PM   #22

State: Texas
THOR #3109
Did not consider the fiberglass roof deal. Might still want the small plate...
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:23 AM   #23

THOR #5499
Well, a new update; found a sat installer that knows RV's and spoke with him for some time and he said why don't you just go on contract, get the hopper 3 for free and I will come and install in your RV for free. I just have to have the wineguard working on the roof with the DPH42 switch. Once done, give him a call and he will come out and finish the inside hook up. He did give me a price on if I buy everything from him and he installs dish, etc. for $1900. I passed on that and will be installing the dish myself. However, I did not know you could get the hopper for free. Well, not completely free. It seems that dish will charge $50 for the setup and then I will be under contract for 2 years. Since we will be full-timing soon, I can live with that.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:50 AM   #24
MnP

Model: 38RSSB3
THOR #2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Mike,
Hopper 3/Joey from Dish; Sat/baseplate/DPH42 switch from Amazon.
Most of this is available from Camping World--check pricing.
I am no good at this stuff, so had a local A/V/Sat tech in Dallas area do the entire job.
Was quoted $2700 for install when bought the Suites, but opted to continue using the Carryout. After going FT, found the Carryout falling short of needed options, thus going to the Travlr.
It does everything now we could do at the house, plus a lot more. The tech said the Hopper 3 is the most advanced DVR/receiver on the market that he knows of.
Good luck.
Have ATT everything else, that was main reason long ago to not go Direct.
Thank you sir. I'll do the conversion on my Traveler myself and talk to Dish about the Hopper and Joey.
MnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #25

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #10744
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicesqueezer View Post
Does anyone have the Dish Traveler satellite dish installed on your fifth wheel and who did the install? Also, was location a factor in the placement of the dish?
Getting ready to pull the plug on one and need some advice.

Thanks in advance!
We have one installed at Camping World, but dismantled after the racket it made at night tracking the satellite. Using a outside stand now.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #26

THOR #3109
Vbates,

That probably wasn't the Traveler antenna--the Traveler stops all movement after locking on the sats. Only movement is one-time locking onto sats, then stationary until you lower it to change locations. Ours takes maybe 3-5 minutes of movement, then does not move again unless you tell it to stow/lower. Ours is right above the bedroom and is barely heard while locking in.

Joe
2017 F450 KR
Old 07-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #27

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbates View Post
We have one installed at Camping World, but dismantled after the racket it made at night tracking the satellite. Using a outside stand now.

Do you have a motor home with a tracking SAT dish and not a 5th wheel ?
Old 07-09-2018, 05:35 PM   #28

Model: Mobile Suites 38rssa
State: Alaska
THOR #8691
I agree, my factory dish doesn't move after it finds the satellite.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #29

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Quote:
Vbates,
That probably wasn't the Traveler antenna--the Traveler stops all movement after locking on the sats. Only movement is one-time locking onto sats, then stationary until you lower it to change locations. Ours takes maybe 3-5 minutes of movement, then does not move again unless you tell it to stow/lower. Ours is right above the bedroom and is barely heard while locking in. Joe
^agreed.
I believe I've read you can actually unplug the power supply to the Travel'r controller during extended stays. Normally occasional power outages have no effect either after locked.

Now, it is possible the coach could be moving?

"Communications satellites are often given geostationary or close to geostationary orbits so that the satellite antennas that communicate with them do not have to move, but can be pointed permanently at the fixed location in the sky where the satellite appears." (*1

*1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geosynchronous_orbit
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:09 PM   #30

THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrek View Post
I believe I've read you can actually unplug the power supply to the Travel'r controller during extended stays.

I have mine on a "switched" outlet. Anymore then a few days and I will cut the power to the controller. I also cut the power whenever traveling since that box is also on my inverter circuits. It get warm, so it is drawing power all the time it is on, even if it is just the info screen.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #31

State: Washington
THOR #10744
Quote:
Vbates,

That probably wasn't the Traveler antenna--the Traveler stops all movement after locking on the sats. Only movement is one-time locking onto sats, then stationary until you lower it to change locations. Ours takes maybe 3-5 minutes of movement, then does not move again unless you tell it to stow/lower. Ours is right above the bedroom and is barely heard while locking in.

Joe
Ours isn't a saucer type DISH satellite, it is the dome type. Sure make a lot of noise when we shut off the TV, it was attached to the top of our ladder.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #32

THOR #3109
I used to have the Carryout portable antenna--yep, it did make annoying noises constantly when I had to place it on the roof near the bedroom to get thru tree cover. Friend had his Carryout on the ladder, did not seem to be noticeably noisy when in use.
This is on fivers, not coaches.
Joe
2017 F450 KR
Old 07-10-2018, 09:27 PM   #33

State: South Dakota
THOR #4935
Yeah Joe, when I can't get a signal with my traveler then I use the winegard G2 and it will make noise. Always adjusting the signal and when you change channels and another sat is used it moves. All in all, its a remarkable little 'toy'. lol
Glenn 08 36tk3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:14 AM   #34

Model: Ace 30.2
THOR #11238
I have the winegard pathway. Use the ladder mount leaving it permanently installed. I have the capability to remove it if needed.
https://www.dishformyrv.com/winegard...RoCRWYQAvD_BwE
Old 07-19-2018, 08:13 PM   #35

THOR #5499
Finally installed the Winegard Traveler up on the roof an pulled the wires out of the small vent hole. Temps in the high 90's and I believe I lost 10 lbs while up there. I only hooked up the power cable and made sure that the satellite was responding and then stowing back for travel. Will hook up the DPH 42 switch in the morning and the satellite guy will be coming out with a Hopper and a Joey! There is no charge for this service to come out and hook up the receivers, but you have to sign a 2-year contract.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180719_130343 (2).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	11602   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180719_143313 (2).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	11603  

Old 07-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #36

THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicesqueezer View Post
Finally installed the Winegard Traveler up on the roof an pulled the wires out of the small vent hole. Temps in the high 90's and I believe I lost 10 lbs while up there. I only hooked up the power cable and made sure that the satellite was responding and then stowing back for travel. Will hook up the DPH 42 switch in the morning and the satellite guy will be coming out with a Hopper and a Joey! There is no charge for this service to come out and hook up the receivers, but you have to sign a 2-year contract.
Your wires look a little short Joe, The coax needs to connect to the base of the antenna, no?

Or it looks like you left the Dicor off to pull more coax?
When done you should load up the Dicor on the rest of the port.

Cover everything with lap sealant, especially where the coax goes under the cover.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Old 07-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #37

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthole View Post
Your wires look a little short Joe, The coax needs to connect to the base of the antenna, no?

Or it looks like you left the Dicor off to pull more coax?
When done you should load up the Dicor on the rest of the port.

Cover everything with lap sealant, especially where the coax goes under the cover.
Duane, there will be a DPH 42 switch between the wires and the dish. Actually can pull more cable if needed, but shouldn't. Will do some more dicor when finished. Sat guy is coming out Monday morning to install.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #38

THOR #5499
Need to clean off the fiberglass roof this weekend as well. Dirty! Lots to do, as I will remove the OEM ceiling fan and doing an upgrade on that, installing a new handheld in shower and adding a rubber protectant to slide seals and white lube on lower slide gear. Need to figure out why our fridge won't make ice cubes as well. Busy busy!
Old 07-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #39

THOR #9431
If you are dropping the fan - did you see the pictures of my fan that fell out of the recess?

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Old 07-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #40

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthole View Post
If you are dropping the fan - did you see the pictures of my fan that fell out of the recess?
Yes, I did Duane; Planning on taking a good look at the mounting that DRV has done and if necessary, rectifying to a better system. I will take photos and will be installing a 12" down rod to drop the fan below the slides when they come in. Still, have plenty of headroom and we are both tall.