Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #41

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Joe,
Have had the Traveler for 5 months--worked well at first, now can't get it to pickup HD sat 129--says it is there, but not on the Hopper. Been working with Winegard/Dish + my installer by phone---stymied. Thought it was the DPH42, replaced it, no luck. Still trying to figure it out. Be sure to tighten all the coax connections.....
Joe

2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #42
MnP

Model: 38RSSB3
THOR #2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Joe,
Have had the Traveler for 5 months--worked well at first, now can't get it to pickup HD sat 129--says it is there, but not on the Hopper. Been working with Winegard/Dish + my installer by phone---stymied. Thought it was the DPH42, replaced it, no luck. Still trying to figure it out. Be sure to tighten all the coax connections.....
Joe
Joe
Keep us posted as to your issue. I was just getting ready to replace my DirecTv service with Dish service using a Hopper 3 and a Joey. Just curious if your issue is a "one of" or if it is something to be aware of with the Hopper 3.
MnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:27 PM   #43

THOR #9543
Juice, the picture that you posted of the three prong connection coming out of the utility cabinet; where does it connect? I have the same one, but when I called DRV, all I got was ‘satellite hookup’. I’ve had DirecTV since they launched and have never seen that type of connection. What does it plug into?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:50 PM   #44

Model: 39RESB3
State: Florida
THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
Juice, the picture that you posted of the three prong connection coming out of the utility cabinet; where does it connect? I have the same one, but when I called DRV, all I got was ‘satellite hookup’. I’ve had DirecTV since they launched and have never seen that type of connection. What does it plug into?
Clev, it is the connection for the controller that works the Winegard Traveler dish. I believe it is a 6 pin connector. When you order the dish, you will have the controller included. Upon the roof, you will have 3 round caps. One is for the vent pipe from the black/grey tank, the second will have a short piece of black pipe in it and some insulation. You will need to fish around to find the wires for the satellite. I had 3, one white, one black and the other black was the controller wire that runs down to the 6 pin connector.
The 3rd cap will be located at the nose over the bed area on the off door side and I found 2 wires for solar. Not sure if I actually can use them, as they are really small wires. If you need photos, I can post tomorrow.
juicesqueezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:55 PM   #45

THOR #9543
DRV did mention a controller, but only being familiar with the old ‘crank up’ and manual rotate sat dish, I didn’t fully understand. I cut the cable with DirecTV a couple of years ago.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:26 AM   #46

THOR #3109
I am waiting for a callback from Dish tech familiar with RV installs. He seemed really interested in fixing the problem. Will talk to Winegard in the am about it again.
Having replaced the DPH42 switch, installer says antenna is NOT the problem, so that leaves the H3 receiver.
I am a long ways from understanding this stuff, so at their mercy. Ain't no Dish techs in Creede, CO...
2017 F450 KR
Old 07-21-2018, 01:34 AM   #47

THOR #9543
LOL; but just outside of Creede, in an overgrown cemetery, is the grave of Bob Ford. The man that back shot Jesse James. If you’re into that sort of thing. I am.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:53 AM   #48

THOR #3109
clev,
Used to travel the area with an amateur historian. Believe we visited that place maybe 20 years ago.
Staying a few days at Mt. Views to clean up/charge up/water up before venturing back into the forest service CGs.
If you want to visit Creede, only mentionable RV park is Mountain Views at Riverside--nice place, has sites to lease/buy and also daily, weekly, monthly rentals. Building an entire new section soon.
Joe
2017 F450 KR
Old 07-21-2018, 03:00 AM   #49

THOR #9543
Joe, I was there on a motorcycle camping trip with my wife, maybe 30 years ago. Bob’s grave had a broken down fence around it, and overgrown. A sharp contrast to Jesse’s grave; large head stone, well manicured.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:00 AM   #50

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Joe,
Joe
Don't know about Dish, but with the Trav'ler and Direct, the "elevation calibration" procedure is a good starting point for all issues with locking onto satellites.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #51

THOR #3109
Duane,
Three techs have not mentioned anything about 'elevation calibration'--how does one go about changing that?
Joe
2017 F450 KR
Old 07-22-2018, 01:27 AM   #52

THOR #9431
Quote:
Duane,
Three techs have not mentioned anything about 'elevation calibration'--how does one go about changing that?
Joe
I do not know if this works on the Dish Trav'ler

Calibrate the*Elevation*Motor:

1. Press [POWER] and hold for 2 seconds to turn “ON” the TRAV’LER Interface Box. Wait until the Interface Box finishes “connecting to antenna”

2. Press [ENTER] and hold for 2 seconds or until the unit displays “Enter User Menu”. Press [SELECT] to move the asterisk to “Yes”. Press [ENTER]

3. Press [SELECT] to move the asterisk to INSTALLATION

4. Press [ENTER]. You will be asked to provide a code to enter the Installation Menu

5. Press [ENTER] 4 times to enter code 0000

6. From the Installation Menu:

7. Press [SELECT] to move “ * ” to “Calibrate EL” and Press [ENTER]

8. Press [SELECT] to move “ * ” to YES

9. Press [ENTER] to start the *elevation*calibration* procedure. The LCD should now display “ Calibrate EL In Progress ...”

10. After a few moments the IDU LCD will display “On EL Hard Stop? Yes *No”

Visually examine the antenna to verify that the antenna is against the Hard Stop. The antenna will be pointing as far up as it can go, this is the Hard Stop

11. Press [SELECT] once to move asterisk to “Yes” if antenna is on the Hard Stop

12. Press [ENTER] and the LCD will display “Calibrate EL Success”

13. Press and Hold [POWER] for 2 seconds to to stow the antenna

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Old 07-22-2018, 01:30 AM   #53

THOR #9431
You can google "Calibrate the Elevation Motor" and you should find links for PDF versions of the above instructions.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Old 07-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #54

THOR #5499
Just an FYI: Satellite Steve came out this morning, right on time and hooked up the Hopper 3 and Joey receiver to our main TV. We can now watch satellite on the main, the bedroom and the outside TV. WOOT, WOOT!!!!
He took the time to explain how everything works, gave me his card and said call anytime if there is a problem. Happy Camper! Unfortunately, the way DRV ran the wires, we can't get HD on the bedroom and outside TV's. There is a way, but will involve running more wires under the RV and I'm not sure it is worth it, since both of these TV's are not that large and you really can't tell the difference. The main TV was my concern and it looks great!
Steve lives in Coco Beach, FL, but had done some RV rallies and is considering going on the road and doing installs around the USA!
His number is: 321-636-3474

On another note, found out why the refrigerator is not making ice. Seems the valve in the back of the unit is bad and service tech had to order a new one. So, wife should be a happy camper as well once this is repaired.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:28 PM   #55

THOR #5499
The service tech came out this morning with the new part for the fridge. Got it up and producing ice as I write this. Wife is happy, I am poorer, but the wife is happy! Happy wife, happy life!
Old 07-26-2018, 02:42 AM   #56

THOR #3109
These things make ice, not money.
Glad you are up and running on the two fronts--I got the HD working back at Mt. Views in Creede by swapping the #1 and 2 cables into the DPH42 switch, as recommended by Winegard tech. This worked before and the switch was declared faulty. New switch, same problem, same temporary solution. But I moved back to FS CG and trees blocking sat views so don't know if it is going to continue working.
So far, no one has come up with WHY is doesn't consistently get 129.
Stay tuned....
2017 F450 KR
Old 07-26-2018, 11:34 AM   #57

THOR #5499
Quote:
These things make ice, not money.
Glad you are up and running on the two fronts--I got the HD working back at Mt. Views in Creede by swapping the #1 and 2 cables into the DPH42 switch, as recommended by Winegard tech. This worked before and the switch was declared faulty. New switch, same problem, same temporary solution. But I moved back to FS CG and trees blocking sat views so don't know if it is going to continue working.
So far, no one has come up with WHY is doesn't consistently get 129.
Stay tuned....
That is unusual for a switch like the DPH to go bad. According to my tech as well as others that have gone to the DPH 42 for the Hopper 3, you don't need both cables running to the switch. Also, it makes no difference how you run the other 3 from the switch to the dish itself. I left the second cable from the roof hooked up to the switch to keep it waterproof. Just thought it was an easy fix. Now I do understand that if you use the second Joey, you then need that second cable.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #58

THOR #3109
I always need to complicate things, thus I have the second Joey and need the second cable. No one has taken the time to dumbly explain this setup to me--so I don't have any idea of the 3 cables in/2 out and why/where.
Entertaining thoughts of going back to H2 or H1 setup if this cluster continues. Or until I get to where I can have a Dish tech available to come to the rig.
Will be back to semi-civilization on Sat to see if HD is working or not, but still no Dish tech near.
It is odd think that there is a Winegard/Dish setup and neither one will acknowledge that the H3/DPH42/SK-1000 is supposed to work together. I get the idea someone else came up the combo to replicate household setup, and neither Dish/Winegard cares to figure it out for the RVer.
2017 F450 KR
Old 07-30-2018, 10:28 PM   #59

THOR #5499
One other item to make note of: it is strongly suggested you unplug the Hopper when you move. It locks the hard drive and will protect it from bouncing and jarring of traveling down the road!
Old 08-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #60

THOR #3109
Well, things have temporarily gotten back to normal with my quest for HD/sat 129 off Dish network.
Said before--calls to Dish/Winegard/my installer have all resulted in useless suggestions as to why I can't get HD even tho I have clear view of sat 129. Well, possibly stumbled onto solution that is working currently:

https://rvseniormoments.com/author/hughes54311/

Tom indicated he could not get 110 at times and he just took power off the DPH42 switch and the Hopper 3 WHILE the SK-1000 was locking onto the satellites. VOILA--HD on all HD broadcast channels.

Have only done this once so far, and won't be moving for 2 weeks. So, can't say it is a permanent solution. Why, oh why, can't Winegard figure this out? Can't expect much from Dish, so that isn't too much a disappointment.
AND, why did this work--any one know what is going on?

Will relay what happens next time I set up antenna, but at present, a happy camper.

Joe
2017 F450 KR