Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2015, 02:44 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Disk brake pad replacement

I threw away my perfectly good Kodiak disk brake pads. I replaced them with NAPA's best Semi Metallic pads # UP-7136-M.

I did this because I replaced my pads on my last MS with the NAPA pads on the advice from Kevin at Kodiak because I said I wanted the best and that is what he recommended. The brakes on the 07.5 MS worked GREAT!!! The brakes on the new 16 MS work GOOD but not GREAT!. So I invested $131.97 with tax and about 2 hours of my time and replaced my "NEW" pads.

I will say the slide bolt sleeves were lubricated and seemed to slide well. The ones on the 07.5 had NO grease at all on them!

I use a brake adjusting tool to remove the wheel caps and a rag to protect the finish of the wheel/

The problem as I see it to do a proper Disk brake job ALL mating surfaces should be lubricated as in caliper to mounting bracket, pad to caliper but there was NO lubrication at all!

I will report back after I take my first trip and have properly broken in the pads how much better or not these new pads are.

While I was doing the pad replacement I pumped about 10 pumps with the grease gun with AMZ/OIL synthetic grease into the bearings while rotating the rotor. I also lubricated the grease fitting on the MorRyde IS suspension.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:50 AM   #2

THOR #1661
I take a file to the caliper and the mounting plate where they slide along each other to clean up and smooth out any defects. There are always rough spots that will hinder the caliper to freely slide back and forth. Use blue locket on the slice bolts. Really is a easy job!

Old 08-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #3

Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
I figured I would find another Snap-on hard handle guy on here.... Mine are green.....

Looks like you have the dark blue or dark purple MG725 as well....

Nice choice in tools and a nice write up....
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #4

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
I figured I would find another Snap-on hard handle guy on here.... Mine are green.....

Looks like you have the dark blue or dark purple MG725 as well....

Nice choice in tools and a nice write up....
Yea that was one of those good Craig's List buys! Only problem is the little metal muffler is missing. But hey it sounds cool!

Thanks for the compliment!