Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2015, 04:31 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: Nevada
THOR #2445
DRV - Quality and Service

Hello everyone.

This will be our second purchase. We bought a 2014 Newmar Dutchstar and fulltimed in it for about one year. We have decided to re-enter but this time, the Mobile Suites 5th wheel is attractive to us.

Our experience with quality and customer service at Newmar was exceptional. We are hoping to have the same experience with DRV.

I was hoping we could get some input from current owners of DRV related to quality and customer service..Good or Bad. We are hoping to duplicate our past MH experience with a 5th wheel and have heard, DRV is one of the best.

Thanks in advance for input. Also, if anyone has some experience regarding Dealers, and discounts they would like to share, a PM would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:31 AM   #2

Model: Mobile Suite - Dallas
State: Florida
THOR #2074
I went full time in Jan. DRV's past history led me to purchase a 2015 MS Dallas 43'. I have been very unhappy with the QC of this product, the list of problems is long and on going.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #3

Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Tennessee
THOR #1668
Took delivery of a 2016 36RSSB3 in April. Minor things that were handled by the dealership. (RVSforLess in Knoxville, Tn.) I've owned my share of campers and by far this is the highest quality one I have seen. Have only actually stayed in it for a week. However have tried everything. You will have issues with any model. It's how they are handled and the overall picture that counts. I would do it agian in a heartbeat.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #4

THOR #2445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tneagle View Post
Took delivery of a 2016 36RSSB3 in April. Minor things that were handled by the dealership. (RVSforLess in Knoxville, Tn.) I've owned my share of campers and by far this is the highest quality one I have seen. Have only actually stayed in it for a week. However have tried everything. You will have issues with any model. It's how they are handled and the overall picture that counts. I would do it agian in a heartbeat.
Thanks Tneagle.

I am happy to hear your great experience. You are correct about having issues with any model and how those issues are handled make the difference.

Wishing you continued enjoyment.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #5

Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Tennessee
THOR #1668
Well the biggest factor that won me over to DRV was the basic structure. Compared to most others it is built like a tank. I've been told New Horizons are just as good...maybe better. They are also heavier. We are planning to go fulltime when I retire. I have tools and loose screws or a bad valve can be dealt with. Everytime I go out and look at this thing I have to smile. Happy hunting.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:16 AM   #6

Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
We moved in to our new unit in January and have put about 4,000 miles on it so far. We have had some relatively minor issues, some of which I handled myself, others I let the local service center fix (AC units for one....). It is a sad fact of life that ANY RV will have issues. If these were cars, the entire RV business would be OUT of business....

Having said that, DRV has been good to work with on the issues and we are still happy with the unit. As noted above, the bones on these units are as tough as you will find, they are a 4 season camper with great insulation and the are quiet on the inside....
Old 07-17-2015, 04:32 AM   #7

Model: Mobile Suite - Dallas
State: Florida
THOR #2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrywv View Post
I went full time in Jan. DRV's past history led me to purchase a 2015 MS Dallas 43'. I have been very unhappy with the QC of this product, the list of problems is long and on going.
Let me elaborate on what I previously said. I bought my unit at RVSforLess. Not one bad word about this dealership, good people. I spent , I think, 15 days at the dealership as they fixed various things on my unit. Some things I had to go to the factory to have fixed. I'm happy with what was said "the bones" of the unit, however to list all the problems would take about four pages. DRV has been good to work with to get most things fixed. I know a little bit about RV's. I worked in the business for 32 yrs, I know things break, no one builds a perfect unit. They worked on my unit for 3 days at the factory, the tech that worked on it was really good at fixing problems. Most of the problems I've had are things that should have been done correctly on the line at the time it was built, even the tech said so. I do have some issues that need fixing, and DRV is not willing to work with resolving the issues. One of these I will detail for everyone. At delivery I had a deep scratch on the center island countertop. RVS 4less said they would try and buff it out and if it wasn't fixed correctly, the factory had agreed to replace it. It was on the list to the factory before I arrived. When I got there, they said they would not replace the countertop as it was not bad enough to replace. The countertop has waves in it form where repairs were attempted. I didn't pay for a wavy countertop. i'm working on escalating it to higher management. The damage was not my fault and I don't feel to have it replaced I should have to pay for it. There are other items, but that being said, for a high end , high priced unit, QC should be a whole lot better.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #8

Model: 36 RSSB3 Elite
State: Ontario
THOR #2288
One thing you should think about. All the positive that are talked about here and there should be a lot because these units are very nice. I just purchased a used 2011 36 footer and so far very pleased witth the build and quality of my DRV Elite.
Thor purchased DRV this year, keeping staff and hopefully there quality and costomer sevice program. If in time they decide to incorporate there own policies things may change a little.

Thor purchased the name Carriage when they went belly up and from what I have read the new Carriage does not compare to the quality they once were. Some of the Carriage folks that have gone through the new units have compare it to a high end Jayco or Montana.
I am a former Carriage owner and loved my 2010 32 FWS Cameo.

I have not had any dealing with Thor so it will be interesting to see how there costomer sevice dept responds to the older DVR units and how they will handle our repair/parts problems when they come up.

5 days and I am on vacation fpr 3 weeks to test out my new to me 5er!!!
Old 07-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #9

THOR #2445
KerryWV

KerryWV

Thank your for your comments. I am sorry to hear of all your issues. I hear your frustration and know i would have the same if i had the same experience. It sounds to me like just a " bad spin of the wheel" for you. I hope you painlessly can get all your issues resolved in a timely manner.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:33 AM   #10

Model: 39dbrs3
State: Louisiana
THOR #2513
Quality

I bought my unit from Rvs for Less also. In April. Had a few things go wrong.( some very minor things not listed) and the following:
1- window in door slide was leaking, wet the whole slide under table. Dealer pulled apart and fixed.
2-paint on door messed up. Took 4 times at dealer to get right.
3- black valve stopped closing in first month. Had mobile repairman come, replaced and re routed to inline with access in under belly to prevent cable from looping around.
4-hose to furnace had a hole from where water lines ran too close and rubbed. Dealer fixed
5- missing gasket under vanity slide, letting rain in under dresser. Called DRV and they are sending one right out.
6-cabinet door in bathroom split apart, dealer sending new one.
7- airconditioner has to be "reset" every time there's the smallest power fluctuation. No repair, just a pain.
8- paint peeling where it was applied over caulk. Dealer repainted.

All that said- I actually LOVE my unit. The amenities are the best anywhere. I LOVE my Truma instant hot water! I have FULL size washer and dryer in place of half bath. Love the full body paint and mcd shades.
I would do it all again. You'll have some issues with all brands, but DRV has handled me so wonderfully. It's nice to email or call ONE person and have your issue handled immediately. Can't beat it!
Mrsxbadhabitz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #11

Model: 41RSSB4
State: Wyoming
THOR #2094
I haven't had any issues with our unit in the week that we have been in it, but I do have a story to share.

Wife wants a matching cabinet/drawer handle to install on the sliding door of the closet. I called DRV today and left a message with Mark in the warranty and service department. He called me back after lunch to get our information. Then a different guy called a very short amount of time after I got off the phone with Mark to confirm the address and they are shipping the handle out today. It's a little thing, I know, but I'm still impressed.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #12

THOR #2513
It's really not a little thing. It's what sets them apart from the mass producing companies.They have been similarly attentive to me, for the few things I've requested. I find it very refreshing to get personal service, with just a phone call or email. Greg Vaughn is probably the other person.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:09 PM   #13

State: South Dakota
THOR #2697
This is our second DRV Mobile Suite. We are very happy with the product. If you consider the amount of work and moving parts that go into the unit, it's amazing how beautiful they are.
We are at DRV in Howe this week for several warranty work items. The Tech (Fred) is great! Ed the head service manager is very good to work with knowing his job is to control scope and not give away the farm.

Sometimes we owners tend to point out the flaws rather than promote the good things about DRV. ( there are many). If you want to see what it takes to build one of these units, I recommend you go to the factory. If you have the $$$ to purchase one of these units, you can likely afford a 2-3 day visit to go through the tour. Stay in Shipshewanna and take in a few sites while here.
I say go with DRV and remember, they will let you modify / pick your build (at least for our two units, we had 40-45 changes to fix the wife wants). Happy wife = happy life.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:42 AM   #14

THOR #2264
Suitelife,
You mentioned that you were at the factory. Our new MobileSuites is in production as we speak. #8024 any chance that you would wonded out onto the floor after hours and get a few pictures. I and my DW would be greatly indebted. Thanks
Kent
Old 08-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #15

THOR #2697
I'll try!😎

BTW: this is Ray!
Old 08-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #16

THOR #2513
Fair Update:
DRV HAS:
1) Sent me a check for the full price of having a mobile technician come and replace the black valve- with actually a better one
2) Sent me the door that was cracked
3) Sent me gasket for under my vanity slide that was missing

They have been nothing but helpful, courteous and prompt when dealing me anything I've called or emailed about.
Really do LOVE my unit.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #17

THOR #2697
Day four at DRV for various warranty work items. I must say, we have worked through almost all our list. We elected to wait for after purchase service here at DRV rather than the dealer. Parts and experience from DRV cannot be matched anywhere! One more day should wrap it up.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #18

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
Overall, I'm satisfied with the quality of our 38RSSA, but having said that, it underwent 5-6 days of dealer prep at RVs for Less before we took final delivery - they started the previous Wednesday, and we pulled it off the lot on the following Tuesday. Any obvious problems that may have been present were taken care of by the dealer before we took delivery.

Like any RV, we've had to deal with a few minor issues. We burned out all 3 light bulbs in the pendant lights over the kitchen island within the first week - changing the OEM Chinese bulbs out for some NAPA-sourced replacements has taken care of that problem. We had a water leak from the Fantastic Fan in the bathroom during some heavy rains - I went on the roof and found the mounting flange cracked in a couple of places, so some Dicor sealant took care of that.

On both our previous and current Mobile Suites, DRV has always been excellent to work with. That's one reason we're repeat customers.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote