Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2019, 05:55 PM   #41

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
golf-bears,
Can you get the tires from the trailer to report also? Lots of discussion on Ford forums on trying to get this done.
And does the readout on the truck tires give pressures or just 'low' notice?
Joe

2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:42 PM   #42

State: South Dakota
THOR #4314
Hi Joe,

Yes you can get TPMS system for the trailer for an additional $1500. I looked into it but it wasn't worth $1500 to me considering I already had the TST system.

The TPMS for the truck, as I know right now, just gives you an idiot light on the system screen that a tire has low pressure. I haven't found a screen yet that shows all tire pressures for each tire like one sees with the monitor for the TST system.

The Ford TPMS is really a very very basic warning system. I suspect future trucks, don't know when, will have a better system with a screen to actually see each tire pressure and maybe the temperature.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #43

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
RAM Dually and 3500 SRW trucks have each tire pressure monitored but do NOT have a low tire warning.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:51 PM   #44

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oklahoma
THOR #12540
Dually

Yes, a lot
Inside tires to front, front to inside, outside to front
Old 01-05-2019, 09:58 PM   #45

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
I'm not sure I can get that many tires on the front of mine

Bill
Old 01-06-2019, 12:30 AM   #46

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf-bears View Post
My Ford Dealer back in WI has done it a couple of times on my 2008 F-450 over the years. Two tires on the right rear go to the left side and vs versa.
Might be a dumb question but.....what happens to the fronts? SIde to side there too?
Old 01-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #47

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I'm not sure I can get that many tires on the front of mine

Bill
I had to read that three times to confirm that he now has a 4 tire front axle and two tire rear axle Dually.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:35 PM   #48

THOR #1661
LOTS of $$$ to do a FULL 6 tire rotation and balance on OE tires. NEVER will make it up on tire longevity. But if it makes YA feel good have at it. Kinda like rotation RV tires for no reason other than it makes YA feel good. Properly inflated and aligned axles is all that is needed on RV tires.

Fronts side to side keeping rotation the same and PROPER rotation is all that is needed for good tire life and even wear on a Dually.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #49

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
LOTS of $$$ to do a FULL 6 tire rotation and balance on OE tires. NEVER will make it up on tire longevity. But if it makes YA feel good have at it. Kinda like rotation RV tires for no reason other than it makes YA feel good. Properly inflated and aligned axles is all that is needed on RV tires.

Fronts side to side keeping rotation the same and PROPER rotation is all that is needed for good tire life and even wear on a Dually.
So you're saying keep the backs to proper pressure and watch them but rotate fronts right to left and left to right?
Old 01-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #50

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
So you're saying keep the backs to proper pressure and watch them but rotate fronts right to left and left to right?

I run 35 unloaded rears, I run 65 loaded with full RAWR of 9,750#. Fronts I always run 80.

The front tires need to be dismounted and right tire moved to left wheel and left tire moved to right wheel with ROTATION staying the same. This will place the inside of the tires on the outside. If you don't have tire pressure monitoring in the wheel simply flip the tire over on it's same wheel and move to opposite side of the truck.

If your rear axle weighs let's say 4,900# 65psi would be too much air and may cause center tire wear and harder ride. Numbers are based on MY 17" "E" rated tires. Weigh your rear axle loaded and unloaded add 5psi to what the weight/inflation chart says for YOUR tire.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:23 PM   #51

THOR #9543
"Properly inflated and aligned axles is all that is needed on RV tires"

Have to disagree, Cummins. I rotate the trailer tires, back ones straight up to front, and front ones criss crossed to the back. Is it a 'have to'? No. Is it beneficial? Yes, just like any other vehicle, by equalizing wear on all tires. If you have a few hundred pounds heavier on one tire, it will definitely wear quicker than the others. Rotation solves that problem. I've confirmed that with tire and trailer techs. But, balancing is a must that most don't do. As always, it comes down to each individual and their maintenance on their coach.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:47 PM   #52

THOR #1661
I up rated my "E" to "G" tires on my 07.5 MS and ran them at 85psi based on load. The RV had the TrailAir axle setup. I did NOT rotate and they were balanced. The depth of the tires were dead even across the tread and a negligible tread difference between all 4 tires with many thousands of miles on them.

EXTREMELY unlikely a tire will ever wear to a point of being replaced on a RV before they time out.

People can do what they want but I personally have better things to do with my time that in the end will not make a difference worth mentioning.

I am an EXTREMELY picky person but there is a point.

FYI our GY "H" tires can be re-grooved.

I had almost 1,700 more #'s on my rear tires before I had the 3" risers added. If I did not do the risers YES front to back rotation would have been advised. I now have a few hundred different now and that is nothing when you are talking 4,500# tire weights.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #53

THOR #9543
LOL; As usual, Cummins, we disagree. As crippled as I am, it is extremely difficult for me to remove, rotate, and install these heavy tires, and I could not do it without the assistance of my wife. So, I can assure you, if I did not think it was beneficial, and check it out with techs, I definitely would not do it. I don't look forward to replacing $500 tires and want to get all the mileage possible from them. Hope you had happy holidays.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #54

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
LOL; As usual, Cummins, we disagree. As crippled as I am, it is extremely difficult for me to remove, rotate, and install these heavy tires, and I could not do it without the assistance of my wife. So, I can assure you, if I did not think it was beneficial, and check it out with techs, I definitely would not do it. I don't look forward to replacing $500 tires and want to get all the mileage possible from them. Hope you had happy holidays.

Hey it's not that we "disagree" it's we have different "opinions". NOTHING wrong with that. What is wrong is when someone simply disagrees without giving a reason.

As far as i'm concerned we are good! I like hearing different reasons and methods, that's how we all learn.

BTW I do respect the fact you are disabled and get out there everyday and get it done!!!
Old 01-06-2019, 10:16 PM   #55

Model: 38RSSA
State: Michigan
THOR #5558
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf-bears View Post
Hi Joe,

Yes you can get TPMS system for the trailer for an additional $1500. I looked into it but it wasn't worth $1500 to me considering I already had the TST system.

The TPMS for the truck, as I know right now, just gives you an idiot light on the system screen that a tire has low pressure. I haven't found a screen yet that shows all tire pressures for each tire like one sees with the monitor for the TST system.

The Ford TPMS is really a very very basic warning system. I suspect future trucks, don't know when, will have a better system with a screen to actually see each tire pressure and maybe the temperature.
The trailer tire monitoring system would show individual pressures on the trailer status screen on the dash (I don't have the sensors installed on the trailer so mine is not set up). On the F350 dually, the truck TPMS shows individual tire pressures under the vehicle tab on the dash.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:56 AM   #56

THOR #9543
Quote:
Hey it's not that we "disagree" it's we have different "opinions". NOTHING wrong with that. What is wrong is when someone simply disagrees without giving a reason.

As far as i'm concerned we are good! I like hearing different reasons and methods, that's how we all learn.

BTW I do respect the fact you are disabled and get out there everyday and get it done!!!
You are correct, and thank you Cummins.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #57

THOR #9033
Quote:
I run 35 unloaded rears, I run 65 loaded with full RAWR of 9,750#. Fronts I always run 80.

The front tires need to be dismounted and right tire moved to left wheel and left tire moved to right wheel with ROTATION staying the same. This will place the inside of the tires on the outside. If you don't have tire pressure monitoring in the wheel simply flip the tire over on it's same wheel and move to opposite side of the truck.

If your rear axle weighs let's say 4,900# 65psi would be too much air and may cause center tire wear and harder ride. Numbers are based on MY 17" "E" rated tires. Weigh your rear axle loaded and unloaded add 5psi to what the weight/inflation chart says for YOUR tire.
Thanks...good info