Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2019, 01:33 AM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Catalina Spa in Desert Hot Springs, CA has gone from $700-750 and possibly more plus power.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:09 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H Class C
State: California
THOR #7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
One potentially very significant item you left of the list of power-hungry stuff are electric cars, and to lesser degree other electric vehicles like scooters, golf carts, etc.

I’m sure Jamie could add actual experience to this, but when some campers plug their electric cars overnight, the amount of electricity could exceed what clev averages per day. As more electric and plug-in hybrids hit the road as toads, campgrounds may need to meter.

EVs are definitely a draw, but I think most would be surprised at the numbers. A level 1 charge (110v) is essentially the same as a space heater. About 10amps or 1,100watts. Level 2 (220) can be about 3x or 6x that, but you would have to a) have a portable level 2 charger, b) the right plug adapter, c) an available 220 outlet which means your rig can’t be plugged in at the same time. You could conceivably plug in 110 + your rig if the pole has both, but I’ve blown the 30amp breaker with just my rig running, let alone an additional solid 10amps from a second 110 source. I’m not discounting that it’s more draw overall, just that there’s a lot of real world limitations that make EVs less of an electrical hog than they might seem at first glance. Although I concede that cars are steadily increasing what they can draw on 220- so if you can overcome the challenges stated above then, yea, you can get into some pretty high kWh numbers overnight.

And I’d love to pay .16/kWh. I pay .22 to .28 at the Sticks & Bricks. Hmmmm, just another excuse I should go camping more I guess.

*Do NOT get me started on PG&E. There aren’t enough electrons in the internet to satisfy the rant just thinking about that company brings.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #23

Model: Mobile Suites 38rssa
State: Alaska
THOR #8691
I live in Bay City Michigan, I’m not far from u!
Old 06-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #24
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
One potentially very significant item you left of the list of power-hungry stuff are electric cars, and to lesser degree other electric vehicles like scooters, golf carts, etc.

I’m sure Jamie could add actual experience to this, but when some campers plug their electric cars overnight, the amount of electricity could exceed what clev averages per day. As more electric and plug-in hybrids hit the road as toads, campgrounds may need to meter.
LOL! Ok:

I put around 1000 miles / month on my Bolt (and my prior two plugins and, surprisingly, the numbers were all about the same).

My bill for electricity for just the car for those 1000 miles is around $40/month (more in winter, less in summer).

Last month those 1000 miles consumed 279 kWh and cost me a whopping $15.91 as I'm on a time-of-day rate for the EV meter with overnight rates around $0.02/kWh (plus the fees, distribution, etc.).

Those #'s are for May-June, if I were to take a look at Jan-Feb: I used 450kWh (that resistor heater is a killer) and cost $49.36.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #25

State: Texas
THOR #9543
The monthly lot rent for me is $675. However, they have free shuttle service to and from the MD Anderson Cancer Center throughout the day, and that’s a big plus. If you haven’t driven in Houston’s rush hour, that amenity is almost priceless.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote