Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2018, 05:58 PM   #41

Brand: DRV
Model: Fullhouse
State: Manitoba
THOR #10343
Mine were NOT coming down under pressure. I was able to drill a hole in a collar on the cylinder and tap it so i could put a bolt in to contact the ram and prevent it from dropping. (this bolt did not penitrate the hydrolic system) If there was enough pressure in the system there is no way the friction of that bolt would have stopped the ram from moving. If your legs are breaking chains holding the rams up then the pump must be running to build that kind of pressure. That is a much different problem than what i had.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #42
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca View Post
If your legs are breaking chains holding the rams up then the pump must be running to build that kind of pressure. That is a much different problem than what i had.
I agree... That sounds more like a problem with the switch itself!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #43

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
I agree that failing leveling jacks are a safety issue, especially if one contacts the ground while the rig is in motion, breaks off and plows through a windshield of the vehicle behind you. At that point, knowingly traveling with that condition becomes negligent. Be safe and fix the problem before using the rig again.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:19 PM   #44

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"I have been manually retracting the jacks for some time and holding the up button long enough to hear the strain--no more drifting."

I have always held my retract button on the slides and landing gear for a second or two after they are in. Maybe that is why so far I have not had any issues???
We have manually done our slides and landing gear this same way. We are going to try to do the auto retract the next few times that we move.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #45

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
We have manually done our slides and landing gear this same way. We are going to try to do the auto retract the next few times that we move.

I don't think I would do that. I think manually closing is the way to go with holding button for a bit after rams have stopped.

Who knows! Sad we even need to think about this.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:18 PM   #46

THOR #1658
Thanks to an admin or moderator for making this thread a sticky.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:13 PM   #47

State: Alabama
THOR #5803
Leaking Levelers

My DRV is a 2018 36RSSBS, so Lippert is paying to replace the levelers that are leaking. Lippert had 2 suggestions to prevent further leaks.
1. Exercise levelers every 6 weeks to keep seals wet. A "re-level" should work.
2. Squirt a few drops of hydraulic fluid on the seals just before using them.

Also, since I am traveling in a colder climate where the temps are frequently less than 32F, Lippert recommends a different hydraulic fluid other than the OEM fill. I'll be using Dextron D6ATF.

What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonandPatti View Post
Well it looks like my front levelers have given up the ghost and now I need to replace them.

I contacted LIPPERT and they took all of my information but said that since it was past the 1 year warranty -- NO LUCK. Would not replace.

Short story -- front levelers were leaking down while going down the road. Had to stop several times on one trip to retract them back up. Took the trailer to RVs For Less for some other work -- while it was there -- over the weekend the front levelers leaked down to the ground.

This is a safety issued so I contacted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and reported the problem.

If you have a similar problem report your problem to them. Safety issues need to be corrected. Here is the link to report the problem:

he link is www.https://www.nhtsa.gov/

Then click on the box --- report a problem.

Anyone with leveler problems should jump on board.

Below is what I got back after I filed my complaint.

Don
-------------------------------------------------------------

This email is to confirm we received your vehicle complaint submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Thank you for this public service as it is through actions like yours that together we can save lives on America's roadways.
Your tracking number assigned by NHTSA for this issue is ---------. Please keep this number for your records and for future reference. Once your complaint has been processed, you will be able to view it online and find any related documents. Please allow two business days for NHTSA to review your complaint.
What happens next?
Your complaint will be reviewed by NHTSA technical staff and entered into our database. If any additional information is needed, a NHTSA investigator will contact you.
Every complaint is taken seriously, reviewed in detail and analyzed for defects trends. Your complaint is important because it helps to inform NHTSA, other vehicle owners and manufacturers about potential safety concerns. Such information helps save lives, and we encourage you to share the resources available at www.SaferCar.gov with your family, friends and others in your community.
Will my vehicle be recalled?
When a manufacturer or NHTSA determines that a car or item of motor vehicle equipment creates an unreasonable risk to safety or fails to meet minimum safety standards, the manufacturer is required to fix that car or equipment. That can be done by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund (for equipment) or, in rare cases, repurchasing the car.
If your vehicle is included in a recall, the manufacturer will contact you. Sign up to receive recall email alerts from NHTSA if there's ever a recall involving your vehicle.
If you have any other questions regarding your complaint, please contact NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation:
  • Phone: 888-327-4236, Monday-Friday, 8:00AM to 8:00PM EST(Spanish-speaking representatives available)
    TTY: 888-424-9153
    (Please have your ODI number referenced above available.)
  • Email: https://www.nhtsa.gov/about-nhtsa/contact-us
    (Please indicate your ODI Number referenced above in the contact form.)
Thank you for contacting us and playing a critical role in helping to keep our roads safe.
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL, IT HAS BEEN AUTO-GENERATED. __________________
Old 05-31-2018, 10:12 PM   #48

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
David= Do you actually have seals leaking on a 2018? They (drv) quit using the style that leaked several years ago, I thought.

1. I never sit that long anywhere.
2. Not sure how to physically do that.
??It gets frequently below 32f where I travel?? Never heard them mention that to anyone before. Since we're talking atf that is used in all cars, even in cold clims, this leaves me scratching my head. Although I have heard of adding fork oil though.

Bill
Old 05-31-2018, 11:13 PM   #49

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
David= Do you actually have seals leaking on a 2018? They (drv) quit using the style that leaked several years ago, I thought.

1. I never sit that long anywhere.
2. Not sure how to physically do that.
??It gets frequently below 32f where I travel?? Never heard them mention that to anyone before. Since we're talking atf that is used in all cars, even in cold clims, this leaves me scratching my head. Although I have heard of adding fork oil though.

Bill
Bill,
I agree that he should have the newer style jacks. I think the change started in the late 2016 models.
I added this Cat additive and it has been flawless since then.
https://parts.cat.com/en/jariggs/1U-9891
Old 05-31-2018, 11:16 PM   #50

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by David & Diane View Post
My DRV is a 2018 36RSSBS, so Lippert is paying to replace the levelers that are leaking. Lippert had 2 suggestions to prevent further leaks.
1. Exercise levelers every 6 weeks to keep seals wet. A "re-level" should work.
2. Squirt a few drops of hydraulic fluid on the seals just before using them.

Also, since I am traveling in a colder climate where the temps are frequently less than 32F, Lippert recommends a different hydraulic fluid other than the OEM fill. I'll be using Dextron D6ATF.

What do you think?
The only seal you can get to are just dust seals.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #51

State: Alabama
THOR #5803
Leaking Level-Ups on a 2018 DRV Mobile Suites

I do have 2 leaking levelers on my 2018 36RSSB3. They are the 2 "8K" units on the port side (not the front leveler). Lippert does not want the leaking level-ups back. So, my curiosity wonders if they can be repaired and stay reliable. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Lippert suggested using a plastic squirt bottle filled with ATF to squirt the seals before use. I haven't tried this, so I don't know if its possible.

Right now, I'm in an RV park in Port Charlotte, FL & will be here at least until next year. My wife & I haven't moved except for changing site #s within the same RV park. We have lots of family down here we'd like to visit. We will take some short trips (week or 2), but hopefully not a hurricane evacuation.

Our next trip will be through Cincinnati, Ohio to see my father and then to the north-west & up into Canada across the trans-Alaska Highway to see Alaska. There we expect colder weather, but no driving if there is snow. Our visit will be during the Alaskan summer.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:14 PM   #52

Model: 38RSSA
State: Ontario
THOR #5001
I have just re-installed my front leg cylinders after they were overhauled at a local hydraulic repair shop. I dug two holes in my gravel parking spot and after removing the pads, disconnecting the hydraulic hoses and releasing the top bolt they dropped out easily. The repair shop inspected them, replaced all seals with quality ones, and tested them. I put them back in today - a little more fiddly - lining up the cylinder to install the top bolt in the off-door side was a bit time consuming. The other side was easy. After reconnecting the hoses etc, they are working well. Time will tell how durable the new seals are. Total time spent to do this was about 10 hours - including digging and filling in the holes and I needed a helper for a couple of hours. Total cost $235.00.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:20 PM   #53

Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #88
I have a mobile RV tech coming out tomorrow to look at our front jacks. They are leaking down about an inch every two days. Lippert told me to pound sand so I filed a complaint with the link provided in this post. Lippert knows there is an issue with these jacks so maybe if enough of us file complaints they will own up to it. I sure hope no one gets hurt or worse if one of these things falls while they are under the front. I think at that point Lippert will be up ***** creek.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:57 AM   #54

THOR #1658
Well, add me to the list of failed front Jacks also. Fred another DRV owner called me today and you can add him to the list also.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #55

THOR #1661
I am towing my DRV up to a Machinist friends place with a pit tomorrow in NW WA. We are removing the front jacks and one rear. The fronts are TIRED!!! The rear one has weeped at the lower portion of the tube where it screws to the lower housing.

He will be checking the foot pad adapter for alignment and if needed cut them off and re weld to be aligned properly. He will be replacing the single lip seals with MUCH more substantial seals. Basically he will be doing the same exact job Robert's RV does.

On the rear he most likely will replace the seal at the joint only as they are very trouble free.

I will take pics and report how well it turns out.

Once he has done mine he will have an idea of what he will be charging to do the same job for others that would rather have the work done in the NW VS Indiana. He also has 50A power and water.

Robert's said once these rams are PROPERLY rebuilt they are a better system than what Lippert replaces them with. Another negative of the Lippert fix is the rams are not angled (someone please confirm this) and they are shorter.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:27 PM   #56

Model: Memphis
THOR #2341
The rams are angled because of the brackets they bolt to are. Now, if the footpad is properly angled to contact the ground properly, mine are..... now..... But my new style front cylinders are leaking, or I have a valve leaking internally, but since I have 2 hoses weeping, I really don't care if the whole unit crashes down and rolls down a mountain.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:52 PM   #57

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
The rams are angled because of the brackets they bolt to are. Now, if the footpad is properly angled to contact the ground properly, mine are..... now..... But my new style front cylinders are leaking, or I have a valve leaking internally, but since I have 2 hoses weeping, I really don't care if the whole unit crashes down and rolls down a mountain.
You should do the test to see if you jacks are bypassing, bad. This is how Lippert told me how to test that.

1. Retract the slides and all on the landing gear, like your getting ready to travel.
2. Remove an orange hydraulic hose off of the jack that you want to test, only one at a time. there should be no fluid coming out of the line when you remove it. I was told a drop or two is acceptable.
3. Then go to retract that jack. Hold it for a second or two. I would do this under the retract front or retract rear function. If fluid comes out of the line, your jack is bypassing.
CAUTION: point the line away from you. As I had one SPRAY a lot of fluid out.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #58

Model: Memphis
THOR #2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
You should do the test to see if you jacks are bypassing, bad. This is how Lippert told me how to test that.

1. Retract the slides and all on the landing gear, like your getting ready to travel.
2. Remove an orange hydraulic hose off of the jack that you want to test, only one at a time. there should be no fluid coming out of the line when you remove it. I was told a drop or two is acceptable.
3. Then go to retract that jack. Hold it for a second or two. I would do this under the retract front or retract rear function. If fluid comes out of the line, your jack is bypassing.
CAUTION: point the line away from you. As I had one SPRAY a lot of fluid out.
Thanks for the test procedure from Lippert.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:07 AM   #59

State: Texas
THOR #3109
"I really don't care if the whole unit crashes down and rolls down a mountain."

Walker, just be sure you aren't in it.....
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #60

THOR #1661
My pad adapters will be Nice and straight with the rams now!!!