Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: Ontario
THOR #11683
Front jack issue - Buying decisions

Hi all;

Just in the process of selecting / buying our DRV and have a little concern regarding the problems with the hydraulic leveling system, specifically the front jacks on what appears to be 2015 to 2018. I have read a little on the forms on this issue but to date have not seen a good writeup of what the exact problem is and what the fix involves. Some folks report that Lipert has replaced the components under warranty while others seem to have struggled to get the issue covered. If there are any owners who can fill in the blanks on this issue it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
JM

Old 06-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #2

Model: 39RESB3
State: Florida
THOR #5499
We have a '14 and thought we had an issue with front jacks, but come to realize it was only low on hydraulic fluid. The level needs to be between 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch from the fill cap. Fixed our problem.
I believe that the biggest problems have been with leaks on either the lines themselves or the seals in the jacks.
Keep in mind, that many fifth wheels have hydraulic jacks as well.
Personally, I would not let that deter me from a purchase if all else is a plus.
juicesqueezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #3

Model: 39DBRS3
State: Arizona
THOR #5464
JM There are thousands of the "problematic" legs on rigs. They are the ones with the large steel tube over the ram. They no longer use this system. We have the old system and have had no problems. For the three years we have had our rig I have talked to everyone I see with the "old" system and none have had any problems. With that being said we are headed to Roberts RV in Indiana to have ours rebuilt before we have any problems.

According to Robert the problem with the the rams is that when they weld the mount on to the tube if the welder is not careful the too much heat is applied and it warps the tube. The warped tube along with the cheapest seals they can find results in the cylinders leaking down.

Robert says he has rebuilt approximately 700 cylinders. He first, if the tube is warped, straightens the tube, hones the cylinder (which he says he has never fond factory hone marks in a tube) and then installs high quality seals. He has never had one fail after he rebuilt them.

Although we have had not problems, as I stated in a previous post, I prefer to do preventive maintenance rather scrambling to fix a problem. Dick
Old 06-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #4

THOR #11683
Thanks for your reply Joe. Yes I couldn't agree more, we are committed to a DRV. We have had a 5th wheel now for several years and have learned a lot about the various companies, builds, and of course issues some minor and others major. Met some folks in NV this past winter that had to have the front jacks replaced, its a PIA when your full time. I'm big into preventive maintenance so if I can get a handle on what the problem is then i can head it off at the pass. Again , thanks for your reply.

Cheers
Old 06-24-2018, 06:52 PM   #5

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicesqueezer View Post
We have a '14 and thought we had an issue with front jacks, but come to realize it was only low on hydraulic fluid. The level needs to be between 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch from the fill cap. Fixed our problem.
I believe that the biggest problems have been with leaks on either the lines themselves or the seals in the jacks.
Keep in mind, that many fifth wheels have hydraulic jacks as well.
Personally, I would not let that deter me from a purchase if all else is a plus.
That's awfully high. I understand it to be 1/2" from top of container with everything retracted.

Probable does not matter.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #6

THOR #1661
The ones that have has issues are pictured first, the newer style are much better.

Mine have not been an issue and fulltiming 3 years. A friend that is a Machinist is going to rebuild this Summer.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #7

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
That's awfully high. I understand it to be 1/2" from top of container with everything retracted.

Probable does not matter.
That came from the tech I called at the factory. Just repeating what he said to do and all is well now. No more issues!
Old 06-25-2018, 09:29 PM   #8

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
The ones that have has issues are pictured first, the newer style are much better.

Mine have not been an issue and fulltiming 3 years. A friend that is a Machinist is going to rebuild this Summer.

If you are looking at a new DRV 2018 and above it has the newer jacks as Cummins stated. I added the cat additive to mine as a precaution and things have been good. Where are you buying your DRV?
Old 06-26-2018, 12:35 AM   #9

THOR #11683
Thanks for the info as it is helpful for sure. Right now we are working with Whiskey Mountain RV is Mesa, AZ. We have been looking for a one or two year old KSSB4 or Dallas that hit as many of the must haves as possible. We are currently in a 5er and F350, we just ordered a new F350 so have to wait for that to arrive and then we will be in buying mode.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:36 AM   #10

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVStrayKatz View Post
Thanks for the info as it is helpful for sure. Right now we are working with Whiskey Mountain RV is Mesa, AZ. We have been looking for a one or two year old KSSB4 or Dallas that hit as many of the must haves as possible. We are currently in a 5er and F350, we just ordered a new F350 so have to wait for that to arrive and then we will be in buying mode.
I have heard much about Whiskey Mountain. I'm sure they will treat you right. Congrats on the new purchase Ford as well. When you get your new beauty, please post some photos!
Old 06-26-2018, 02:36 AM   #11

Model: MSA 40
State: North Dakota
THOR #10945
rynosback, what's the cat additive? Thanks.

Dave
Old 06-26-2018, 02:56 AM   #12

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultratravler View Post
Dave
There are several additives commonly used for "stiction" popping noises presented by hydraulic system(s) ram seals.
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ic_Systems.pdf

We've had just as good as results with periodic light coating of aerosol silicone which also protects the extended rams from weather. Spray, wipe down, retract, level. YMMV.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:14 AM   #13

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
OP, BTW: As stated above the primary offending cylinders are not being used on current models. Also, many tow-able's with the self-leveling option use the same LCI products, so it shouldn't be a DRV Suites dis-qualifier. Exercising their engineering prowess the offending models did have some advantages, longer stroke being one. Many including the rebuilt product(s) seem to perform well.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:35 AM   #14

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVStrayKatz View Post
If you are looking at a used unit and buying a new truck. You might want to make sure that the rig has at least 2 inch risers. As every new truck is MUCH taller then older ones. DO NOT let the dealer tell you any different. Unless you like towing nose high with not much bed rail clearance.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:38 AM   #15

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultratravler View Post

Dave
Dave,
I used https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/1U-9891
Ryan
Old 06-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #16

THOR #1661
This pic was taken at the factory May of 2016, they changed somewhere around that time to the new style ram.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:22 PM   #17

THOR #11683
As soon as we get the new Rig we will post lots of photos for sure. Thanks to everyone for chiming in, looks as though this form will be very helpful as we take on new ownership of a DRV.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:25 PM   #18

THOR #11683
Quote:
This pic was taken at the factory May of 2016, they changed somewhere around that time to the new style ram.

We are planning a factory tour in Oct of this year so I will be sure to ask about the hydraulic jack issues and what they have done to address these concerns.