Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 43' MS Atlanta
State: Arizona
THOR #1683
Garbage disposal?

Do the new Suites still come with a garbage disposal as part of their standard equipment?

Joe

Old 07-10-2015, 12:11 AM   #2

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
NO

If they did I would have deleted it.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:31 AM   #3

Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
+1 on the delete if it had still been standard equipment. No need for one on a fiver and they take up too much room under the sink.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:45 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
I would be concerned about oil and fat in ground up food gumming up the walls and sensors inside the gray water tank. This could happen from splashing even if you had a sewer connection.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:20 AM   #5

THOR #1667
Dave,

First off, thanks for your service.......

In regards to your concerns about oil,fat and grease in a gray tank, normal washing of dishes as well as showers will put enough soap into a gray tank to break up any deposits. If your gray tank sensor starts getting a little "wonky" (technical term....) after some time, they can usually be fixed by draining the tank, adding about 20 gallons of clean water and a few ounces or so of Dawn dish washing liquid and go for a drive. The motion of the trailer on the road over bumps, curves and the like will scour the inside of the tank fairly well. Dump it when you get back and you will have a nice clean tank....
Old 07-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
Dave,

First off, thanks for your service.......

In regards to your concerns about oil,fat and grease in a gray tank, normal washing of dishes as well as showers will put enough soap into a gray tank to break up any deposits. If your gray tank sensor starts getting a little "wonky" (technical term....) after some time, they can usually be fixed by draining the tank, adding about 20 gallons of clean water and a few ounces or so of Dawn dish washing liquid and go for a drive. The motion of the trailer on the road over bumps, curves and the like will scour the inside of the tank fairly well. Dump it when you get back and you will have a nice clean tank....
Thank you and I would serve again if required.

I have noticed that dish detergents will take large pools of oil and break them down into multiple smaller pools or drops. To see this in action one only needs to look at the sink after draining the dirty dishwater. The junk and crude has often times formed a ring around the sink which has to be wiped cleaned. I also know that after time certain cooking utensils such as plastic forks, spoons and other serving utensils that come into contact with oily or greasy foods (salad serving utensils are a prime example) tend to build up a film that you can't get off and they are eventually thrown away.

I also think about the number of times in my prior house (now a rental property) when something such as a coffee filter or dish rag was sucked into the disposal impellor (sponges and handi wipes were the real pains) and it had to be torn apart for repair. The worst was when someone missed a fork or spoon (especially plastic) and then drained the dish water with the disposal running.

When I put this into the context of camping, plastic holding tanks and additional maintenance requirements, those are things I would be concerned about with having a garbage disposal in an RV.

As to the gray tank, think about a bathtub after the kids have taken their baths and the water is drained and then view that tub as the gray water tank on the RV (especially after boon docking for a couple of days). You can add all the agitating soap and you want but that soap ring is not coming off without the assistance of a rag and human energy. Even a shower over time generates a soap scum buildup, on the walls, that has to be manually cleaned (I hate glass shower doors).

With the exception of the paper, with a disposal you are introducing into the gray tank the same type matter that the body puts in the black tank. Often times when black tank flushing systems get clogged there is no amount of soap, ice or anything else that will remove that clog. In this case owners have had to remove the nozzle and manually clean or replace it for the system to work again.

With the potential for soap scum build up and the unknown quality of camp ground water (especially camp grounds using well water), to include unknown mineral content such as bacterial iron, sulfur etc..., I have often wondered why RV manufacturers do not install gray tank flushing systems.

Just my 50 cents, for what it's worth.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #7

THOR #1661
"I have often wondered why RV manufacturers do not install gray tank flushing systems"

I have black and gray tank flush on our RV.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:50 PM   #8

THOR #1667
Our DRV has a flush on the Gray and Black tank as well.....
Old 07-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
Our DRV has a flush on the Gray and Black tank as well.....
That is interesting because I looked at motor coaches from various manufactures and none had a gray tank flush nor did they offer it as an option.

We I asked manufacture's reps at RV shows why a gray tank flush system was not installed their question was always why would you want one?
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #10

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
That is interesting because I looked at motor coaches from various manufactures and none had a gray tank flush nor did they offer it as an option.

We I asked manufacture's reps at RV shows why a gray tank flush system was not installed their question was always why would you want one?
I guarantee it was added on the DRV's when they started having problems with the dreaded "food pyramid" in the gray tank because of the disposal. Exactly why I would not have a disposal.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:06 AM   #11

Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
We have a portable water softener that we have been using for four years. We love the way the soap suds in the kitchen sink and shower. We use a squeegee after a shower, and the shower stays clean. Recharge the water softener with a 1 lb box of table salt. Litmus paper to periodically check water hardness.