Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2018, 02:14 AM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We normally see 390, to 433 at home...
More than good enough for "Gilligan's Island" re-runs!
Bob....My Favorite Episode was when they ALMOST GOT OFF THE ISLAND!

Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:56 AM   #22

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We have DIRECTV NOW streaming and just got an ATT NIGHTHAWK hotspot for wifi in the RV. For 20.00 bucks a month we get unlimited data, but streaming DTV Now does not count against any data caps.

We we're going to use a smartphone for this, but the tethering limit of 10gb would never work for us. With the hotspot we can have up to 20 devices with no limit.

And, so far, we have been getting 8-20mb streaming....
Old 04-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #23

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
How did you get 20 buck unlimited data from att? I'm already a att customer it it looks like they want more than that just to share my existing 5GB plan for our phones?
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #24

State: Alaska
THOR #6879
Isn't the idea of RVing, is to be one with nature? :-)
Old 04-27-2018, 12:30 PM   #25

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
That's the difference between RVing and camping. I'm not a camper or a boon docker. No need for solar or generators.

Bill
Old 04-27-2018, 12:41 PM   #26

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonguy52 View Post
To some, yes. For us, it is to be able to travel anywhere anytime and bring our dogs with us. That may involve nature, it also may not. No offense taken... ;-)
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #27

Model: Mobile Suites 38rssa
State: Alaska
THOR #8691
That's what I've always said, I'm an RVer not a camper lol!
Old 04-27-2018, 01:13 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonguy52 View Post
I'll see your "one"; and raise you by full hook-ups!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #29
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
LOL we do both: RV and "camp" some years its more of one than the other. Sometimes it isn't either (e.g. "tailgating", transportation, etc.).

For long trips its usually "RV'ing" as we're taking our hotel room with us and use full hookups, etc.

For close by state parks its "camping".
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:31 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
My Missus always says that it's "Just Camping"; when room service shuts down before midnight.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #31

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
For us it's not "camping" or "rving" , it's our home so it's "living" & even your home, whether mobile or sticks/bricks, it's to the point that you must be connected to live, ie. pay bills, get updates for appointments or working from home, everything is done electronically in today's world.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #32

THOR #4935
I finally got a intra-sat 840 internet sat. We go where there isn't a cell phone signal.
Glenn 08 36tk3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #33

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
The major problem with WiFi amplifiers is the RV Park. Many of them have a device that kicks you off their system if they catch you streaming. So boosting their WiFi signal is futile.
Very true, and that's what we have encountered more often then not. We were recently out, and the park WiFi supported streaming, so we used that, but when the park filled, close to the weekend, enough people were using it, that streaming became impossible. Most of the time we use our Direct SWM3 system, which works very well.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:00 AM   #34

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
How did you get 20 buck unlimited data from att? I'm already a att customer it it looks like they want more than that just to share my existing 5GB plan for our phones?
I thought that ATT has a $30 unlimited data plan for it’s current customers for a hot spot. But you would need to call to be sure.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:47 AM   #35
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
We live in an older community (in Silicon Valley) and the cable system was horrible. We have been using a roof antenna for years now receiving all of the major networks providing HDTV for normal TV. We also went to an internet phone system using the "Ooma" box that provides internet fed home telephone service. The Ooma box is around $100 and we pay about $4-$5 in taxes each month for our phone service. We recently upgraded our terrible ATT DSL internet service (the best speed they could offer was 3 Mbits/sec ntoe that they all use Mbit and bot MBites in their adds). Streaming normally required about 1-3 Mb using our Roku 3 unit (about $100) and sometimes had problems at night when others were using streaming as well. Our upgrade was to Comcast for an introductory rate of around $30/month (for a year). The bandwidth now, because of their coax cable lines is around 5 Gb/sec and has never caused a data problem for streaming. So, having Ooma for telephone, Roku for streaming and a roof antenna for HDTV off air, we are happy now.
The off/air HDTV transmission allows very good reception in most major communities and only requires the very small in width roof TV antenna due to the higher frequency transmission for modern TV (most stations use the UHF band now as the lower frequency spectrum (old channels 2-13) have been taken back by the FCC for other uses.

We typically share our daughter's Netflix subscription as allowed by Netflix for families.

Many TV receivers are adding streaming functions to the "smart" TVs.

So, one good Internet connection does it all for us.
one good Internet connection does it all for us.

OOMA one of the greatest products No One Knows About.. I have been using 7 yrs. & saved over $6000.00
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:58 AM   #36
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
We live in an older community (in Silicon Valley) and the cable system was horrible. We have been using a roof antenna for years now receiving all of the major networks providing HDTV for normal TV. We also went to an internet phone system using the "Ooma" box that provides internet fed home telephone service. The Ooma box is around $100 and we pay about $4-$5 in taxes each month for our phone service. We recently upgraded our terrible ATT DSL internet service (the best speed they could offer was 3 Mbits/sec ntoe that they all use Mbit and bot MBites in their adds). Streaming normally required about 1-3 Mb using our Roku 3 unit (about $100) and sometimes had problems at night when others were using streaming as well. Our upgrade was to Comcast for an introductory rate of around $30/month (for a year). The bandwidth now, because of their coax cable lines is around 5 Gb/sec and has never caused a data problem for streaming. So, having Ooma for telephone, Roku for streaming and a roof antenna for HDTV off air, we are happy now.
The off/air HDTV transmission allows very good reception in most major communities and only requires the very small in width roof TV antenna due to the higher frequency transmission for modern TV (most stations use the UHF band now as the lower frequency spectrum (old channels 2-13) have been taken back by the FCC for other uses.

We typically share our daughter's Netflix subscription as allowed by Netflix for families.

Many TV receivers are adding streaming functions to the "smart" TVs.

So, one good Internet connection does it all for us.
I've had an OOMA for my business for about 8 years and use the Premier functions/subscription. I just bought one for my father as well.

And 5 Gbs? Sure that isn't 5 Mbs? Around here most "basic" cable is 100 Mbs with top tier at 1 Gbs.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:22 AM   #37

Model: 24HE
State: Florida
THOR #10225
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Bob....My Favorite Episode was when they ALMOST GOT OFF THE ISLAND!
Amazing! I only caught the show once and it was THAT EXACT EPISODE! What are the chances of that?
Old 04-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Isn't that amazing! Who'd have thunk it?
Old 04-30-2018, 02:13 AM   #39

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
We already had two phones on the unlimited plan, so the additional device was 20.00(of course, plus taxes)
Old 05-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #40

Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
THOR #4040
Easy way to do streaming - from your home cable

Many of us do have cable service at home. Like myself, with Xfinity -- or comcast as we call it -- you can also stream stuff to your other devices.

There have been some limitations if you try to access some channels thru your laptop while on the road. I am sure I am not the only one who has gotten the message that says " you must be on your home wifi" to watch this channel.

Problem solved. (Of course you must have a good wifi connection. I have the ATT Velocity hotspot).
You can setup a Remote Desktop connection from your laptop to your home computer. Once you connect, like in my case, I just click on the Xfinity/Comcast icon that I have on my home desktop screen and login just like I am watching TV at home.

Many laptops, not all, have Remote Desktop applications already in them. If not you can use, what I use, a free application called Splashtop personal. https://www.splashtop.com/personal

It works very well. Anyone have questions just ask them here or thru PM.

Don
DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote