Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2018, 01:59 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #9543
Greenbelt Campground

We're going to be at the Greenbelt NPS Campground the last week of this month. It will be our base as we tour D.C.. If any of you have stayed there and/or used bus or trolly to get into downtown DC for touring, I'd appreciate any information.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:35 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That park isn't too far from our goto campground when we visit DC (Cherry Hill Park). There is a Metro (DC's subway) stop at the University of Maryland that is pretty easy to get to (the buses may run from Greenbelt Park to there--they do from Cherry Hill Park).

The Greenbelt Metro stop is also not too far from there.

Your best bet is to get to one of the Metro stops and just take that downtown.

Click on "Rail" on this map: https://www.wmata.com/schedules/maps/

Cherry Hill Park even has a video explaining the Metro:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:14 AM   #3

THOR #9543
Thank you, Jaime.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:20 AM   #4

THOR #9543
One other thing, on the way in to Greenbelt, I'll be using the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel Bridge. Does anyone know of anything I need to be aware of or on the look out for while transversing that structure?
Old 04-13-2018, 12:22 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
One other thing, on the way in to Greenbelt, I'll be using the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel Bridge. Does anyone know of anything I need to be aware of or on the look out for while transversing that structure?
They will pull you over and verify that your propane is turned off before entering the bridge/tunnel.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:31 AM   #6

THOR #9543
Thank you, Jaime. At ~37 ft., and 13'4'' tall, do you know of any problems that I may face?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:06 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Thank you, Jaime. At ~37 ft., and 13'4'' tall, do you know of any problems that I may face?
When we went that way we had a 31ft 5th wheel (Cougar) and didn't have any issues. I don't think you'll have any.

Here is the regulations about propane.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:25 AM   #8

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
We're going to be at the Greenbelt NPS Campground the last week of this month. It will be our base as we tour D.C.. If any of you have stayed there and/or used bus or trolly to get into downtown DC for touring, I'd appreciate any information.
I looked at there site and the largest site that I can see is 35 feet. Think most of them are 25 feet. Please let me know what you feedback is on this CG as I will be back in that area again soon. I visit that area once a year because I have family around the Bethesda area.
I have always stayed at Cherry Hill or Aventure Bound CG.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
Don't want to hijack the thread, but going to cherry hill this summer- most of the reviews look great; anything that I am missing? Anybody have a preferred route to the campsite? Looking forward to the trip.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
Don't want to hijack the thread, but going to cherry hill this summer- most of the reviews look great; anything that I am missing? Anybody have a preferred route to the campsite? Looking forward to the trip.
Cherry Hill is great, enjoy the trip.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
2nd on Cherry Hill
Old 04-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #12

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
Cherry Hill is a nice CG. It is VERY well maintained. You are either going to come by route 212 or route 1, depending on where you are coming from. Either way is fine.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 35C
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
They will pull you over and verify that your propane is turned off before entering the bridge/tunnel.
Actually they ask you at the toll booth before entering if your propane is turned off.

Quote:
Tunnel height is 13' 6" so you may be very close especially at the sides.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
Actually they ask you at the toll booth before entering if your propane is turned off.
It was quite a few years ago when we drove that way...we were pulled over/or waved over don't quite remember but it wasn't at a toll both.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 35C
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
It was quite a few years ago when we drove that way...we were pulled over/or waved over don't quite remember but it wasn't at a toll both.
We lived in Virginia Beach at the south end of the Bridge-Tunnel for many years. They always ask at the toll booth, but I have seen RVs pulled over along the pull outs by the bridge cops. Maybe they were checking them randomly, hard to say. They have never stopped us and we used that route fairly often.

This is as opposed to other tunnels in the area where they actually inspect the vehicle to make sure your propane is off before going through.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:51 PM   #16

THOR #9543
Thank you for all of the replies. When I did my initial search, Cherry Hill did not show up. Greenbelt can accommodate larger RV's, and I did give my measurements and asked about clearance. The sites do not have utilities and are $20 per night. But I have generators and solar, so I'm not concerned. This time of years should not be warm enough for an AC, anyway. With my Golden Age Passport discount, 4 nights are $40. I checked Cherry Hill and the rates are $80 ~ $90 per night.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:39 AM   #17

THOR #1658
Quote:
Thank you for all of the replies. When I did my initial search, Cherry Hill did not show up. Greenbelt can accommodate larger RV's, and I did give my measurements and asked about clearance. The sites do not have utilities and are $20 per night. But I have generators and solar, so I'm not concerned. This time of years should not be warm enough for an AC, anyway. With my Golden Age Passport discount, 4 nights are $40. I checked Cherry Hill and the rates are $80 ~ $90 per night.
That is strange. As there are less then 5 around the DC metro area. They are not cheap. But they have good WiFi, security, cable, pool and a hot tub just to name a few things. If I remember correctly they take Good Sams. I have been staying at Great adventure as it is less expensive but not as nice of a facility as Cherry Hill.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #18

THOR #9543
Good morning, ryno, and thank you. Let’s see, I have an iPhone 10 with good hotspot and unlimited data, a Tivo with hours of recorded programming, a Firestick programmed with Kodi, I’m too crippled to get in a pool and would never get in a hot tub with another person,. Oh; and a matched pair of 1911’s. Did I miss anything? LOL.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #19

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
I'll be using the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel Bridge. Does anyone know of anything I need to be aware of or on the look out for while transversing that structure?

If you never been on it, it is a do not miss, at least once.

We usually use it at least once every other year.

Check the weather. High winds will yield a trailer ban (as recently as last year a tractor trailer was blown off the bridge).

If you are heading north and are not allowed on the bridge due to winds, not that big a deal, you just go around.

If you are heading south and are not allowed on, you are looking at a 350+ mile detour.

Going south there is nowhere to pull over before the bridge, so I usually stop about 5 miles out and turn off the propane.
Heading north you can pull over just before the toll.

I have never been checked but have always been asked about the tanks.
There is a 2 tank limit to propane. So if you carry a 3rd "grill" tank, hide it.

There is a rest area, fishing pier etc at one of the tunnel entrances. During weekdays there is usually plenty of room to stop with the RV, get out and enjoy the view.

If you like history, there are two audio files that you can download and listen to while you cross.
They are audio files of the history of the bridge and sites to see along the way. They are timed to your drive of about 50 MPH and are south or north bound specific.

I can't attach the files here, but if PM me an email I'll try sending them if you like.

If you are lucky you may get a chance to see one or ore of our Nation's finest boats traversing the open spans, maybe even a Sub.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #20

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
And I don't know how far north you are going, but in Baltimore there are two tunnels with an absolute ban on propane tanks.

If you screw up and get to the tunnel you will be in for a rude awakening by the authorities.
One of them is I-95

Baltimore Harbor Tunnel I-895
Fort McHenry Tunnel I-95

Avoid them both.

When traversing that area with the RV I use the center of the "I-695" bridge as a waypoint to avoid the tunnels.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote