Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2019, 03:47 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Unhappy I think that left a mark

This is why I only travel during the day and clear days. I know anything can happen at anytime, but I choose not to add risks. I bet you that RVer puckered up or shat himself.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/t...county-friday/

Old 12-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I've already seen a few videos of 18-wheelers traveling too fast for conditions (snow, fog, ice, heavy rain, etc.) and having stuff like that happen. I'm not sure what is going through their head when they drive like that in poor visibility.

When I'm in my coach or pulling my snowmobile trailer with the truck I try to always remind myself that there is no stopping on a dime and to leave plenty of room to avoid the unexpected.

What drives me nuts is when I leave plenty of room for myself and some moron decides to squeeze in between me and the vehicle in front of them.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Darwin was right...
But it's taking too long for the fools to kill themselves of!
Old 12-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
First thing you do when hitting the road...take a "Big Chill Pill". If you must be there tomorrow...don't go!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:51 PM   #5
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
We do 60 - 65 weather permitting. We see people hauling campers and rvs going by at 75 or more. What are they thinking??!?
Call us old fuddy duddys but we are not in a hurry. Better to be late by a day than not make it at all!
Old 01-11-2020, 08:26 PM   #6

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Up till 2010 I drove a semi for 20+ yrs and now work on them,and big trucks do have an advantage over cars and smaller vehicles in they can see better beacuse they are up higher and can stop quicker because of the 80k pounds they carry but that all goes out the window when dealing with fog or ice, he didnt even have headlights on,Most of these types of accidents are because companies put a driver through a 3 week course and let them go with no experiance and that is what causes major accidents as they try to drive a big truck like a car and thats one of the major reasons I quit driving, over 20 yrs with 1 accident that wasnt my fault but no injuries.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I've already seen a few videos of 18-wheelers traveling too fast for conditions (snow, fog, ice, heavy rain, etc.) and having stuff like that happen. I'm not sure what is going through their head when they drive like that in poor visibility.
There is a VERY noticeable drop in the quality of truck drivers on the highways these days. When I was young (MANY moons ago) my trucker daddy told me that if ever I were caught in a snow-storm while on the highway, I was to plant myself behind a big rig and I'll get to safety every time. These days, I'm seeing rude, crude, non-English-speaking, non-bathing and certifiably insane drivers behind the wheel of those big rigs. It's like there is no longer any sort of vetting process when it comes to hiring by transportation outfits! Not too long ago, Hubby and I were returning from Indiana on our motorcycles, in a storm (how fun is THAT?!) and were stuck behind a semi-truck driving in the left lane on 65, side-by-side with another truck, for over 5 MILES! When he did finally get back into the right lane and we were able to pass him, along with a long line of cars, he was LAUGHING HIS ASS OFF AT US! What sort of jackass does that?! My daddy was surely rolling over in his grave.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:28 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpd View Post
We do 60 - 65 weather permitting. We see people hauling campers and rvs going by at 75 or more. What are they thinking??!?
Call us old fuddy duddys but we are not in a hurry. Better to be late by a day than not make it at all!
Those of us doing 75 in a 75 zone call it:
Talent, ability, social conscience and not being a hindrance.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Tesla is building a driverless truck: what do you think of THAT?
Old 01-12-2020, 08:59 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Tesla is building a driverless truck: what do you think of THAT?
Going to be a long while before that truck actually is driverless.

Personally my opinion is that the complete autonomy problem is bigger than what everyone is making it out to be and thus we're still a good 10 years or more before we have that. (Evidenced by the fact that every time a company announces that they are launching some fleet of taxis or something fully automated in the next 6 months or a year that date passes without a peep from the company and no such fleet or service exists today.)

There are some very good examples of partial autonomy in the marketplace, however (Cadillac's supercruise for example).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote