Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2017, 11:05 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSB3
State: Michigan
THOR #5512
Kodiak Brake Pads

I am taking my 2011 MS to a truck/trailer repair shop to get the brakes inspected. I am expecting to need new pads.
I read someplace, here or another forum that the pads are available other than Kodiak. I seem to remember a specific automotive configuration that was noted.
Does anyone have this info?

Thanks

Mike

Old 09-15-2017, 03:05 AM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #3109
I remember that it is a Buick medium size car, but I would research that a bit and get something better than standard. I am going to be looking for some pads some as I smoked them on a long downhill run in Montana. Got a new truck due to this, also...
Call Kodiak in Fort Worth for options. This is something I would not skimp on.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #3

Model: Memphis
State: South Dakota
THOR #2341
Use front brake pads for a 1990 Buick Century. Get the ceramic lifetime.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #4

THOR #4935
I did what A&J did and have much better braking now. Easy to do!
Glenn 08 36tk3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #5

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Per Kevin at Kodiak buy the BEST quality NAPA or equivalent Semi Metallic pads, NOT ceramic.

He said I don't sell high quality pads as no one wants to pay for them!

Buick Century HD mid to late 80's front pads.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #6

Model: 38RSB3
State: Michigan
THOR #5512
Thanks.

Did he give a reason for not using ceramic?

M
Old 09-20-2017, 02:01 AM   #7

THOR #4935
I wondered about that too Mike. I just know NAPA's 'best' increased my braking power two fold. I can't figure this one out but my brake controller is much more responsive also.
Glenn 08 36tk3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #8

Model: 36RSSB3
THOR #88
If anyone buys a set of these NAPA's best "80's to 90's Buick Century" brake pads and installs them could they please post up the part numbers they purchased.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:33 AM   #9

Model: MS 38RSSA
State: Washington
THOR #3145
I just asked my son-in-law who is a certified diesel mechanic (comes in handy when the tow rig needs work) to inspect our coach's brake pads. He says they'll need to be replaced within a year based on our current wear rate. He also is recommending turning or replacing the rotors. I was a little surprised by this since this will be our first pad replacement, and to me the rotors looked fine. He also said the streetside pads were noticeably more worn than the curbside. Anyone else in the same boat regarding the rotors and pad wear?
Old 10-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #10

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud william View Post
I just asked my son-in-law who is a certified diesel mechanic (comes in handy when the tow rig needs work) to inspect our coach's brake pads. He says they'll need to be replaced within a year based on our current wear rate. He also is recommending turning or replacing the rotors. I was a little surprised by this since this will be our first pad replacement, and to me the rotors looked fine. He also said the streetside pads were noticeably more worn than the curbside. Anyone else in the same boat regarding the rotors and pad wear?

I really doubt they will need to be replaced. I would turn them if you want the best brake job!!!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:23 PM   #11

Model: 39DBRS3
State: Arizona
THOR #5464
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5737 View Post
Thanks.

Did he give a reason for not using ceramic?

M
Ceramic pads are very hard on rotors. I too went with NAPAs best semi metallic.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:26 PM   #12

Model: 39DBRS3
State: Arizona
THOR #5464
The NAPA part number is ss-7136m
Old 10-12-2017, 12:22 AM   #13

THOR #3109
I believe ceramic pads perform best on racing applications/very hard braking/drilled rotors.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #14

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobi, Dick and Ruby McKee View Post

YES, I was told by Kevin at Kodiak that if I wanted the BEST to use any top quality Semi Metallic pads. Ceramic are NOT intended for HD applications.

NAPA's Semi Metallic number UP-7136-M
Old 12-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #15

THOR #9543
I'm doing a search and found this older post. After lubing the bearings with a grease gun and just finishing a 1000 mile trip, I noticed that the rear, street side seal had leaked a little, very little grease around it. However, the rear facing part of the caliper was coated in grease and I can't figure out where it came from. There is no grease on the inside of the wheel, on the rotor, or on the pads. The hydraulic jack is covered and the back of the caliper; hmmmmm????? Mystery. Anyway, I did discover that the brake pad was cracked; don't know how that happened either, as total miles on the trailer is less than 15k. Is the part number for Semi Metallic pads still SS-7136-M or is it UP 7136-M? Are these NAPA numbers or will they work with any brand? I prefer Hawk Semi-Metallic pads. Thanks for any input.

I almost forgot. I need the grease seal as well. I have the number from the Kodiak exploded view, but am still looking for that.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:20 PM   #16

THOR #1661
86 Buick century HD or use the NAPA # I listed above for cross reference, YES use the best possible quality semi Metallic pads.

The "O" rings behind the plastic hub-caps are crap. Find the same "O" rings in Nitrile.

I know Ryan has the part number.

Here are the two best quality grease seals.

I contacted Chicago Rawhide seal Manufacturer. I gave them the National #472920 and he said their "grease seal" is #22558.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:44 PM   #17

THOR #9543
Thanks, cummins.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:48 AM   #18

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud william View Post
Turning the rotors is important to mate the new pads and rotors. Another trick is to take a 3m disk and scuff the rotors up so the pads can mate properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobi, Dick and Ruby McKee View Post
I have sold Thousands of brake jobs with ceramic pads. How are they harder on rotors? The big selling point to me about them is that there is a reduction in brake dust created. Plus it is more gray then black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
YES, I was told by Kevin at Kodiak that if I wanted the BEST to use any top quality Semi Metallic pads. Ceramic are NOT intended for HD applications.

NAPA's Semi Metallic number UP-7136-M
Interesting, I wonder why he says that.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:52 AM   #19

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
86 Buick century HD or use the NAPA # I listed above for cross reference, YES use the best possible quality semi Metallic pads.

The "O" rings behind the plastic hub-caps are crap. Find the same "O" rings in Nitrile.

I know Ryan has the part number.

Here are the two best quality grease seals.

I contacted Chicago Rawhide seal Manufacturer. I gave them the National #472920 and he said their "grease seal" is #22558.
Thanks for the CR part number for the rotor grease seals.
Did you happen to find out what the bearing part numbers are?
Here is the thread on those seals.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f29...als-10982.html

This is also the best place I found to buy the clear center caps.

https://www.etrailer.com/search/Dexter+Oil+Cap

I had to replace one because when I changed a tire I cracked one. So now a carry a spare of two of these also. I feel that I am becoming a Mobil parts store for my own rig. LOL
Old 12-02-2018, 01:07 AM   #20

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
I just did my brakes at the end of October, I bought semi-metallic pads from NAPA part number UP-7136-M.

Thanks for the cross referenced part number Cummins!

My pads weren't too bad but I didn't want to take a chance running them too thin. Re-packed the bearings and new seals at that time too. New tires on in early October so now we're good to go.

Dan