Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 39RESB3
State: Florida
THOR #5499
LCI Electronic Leveling

Hi again everyone; I know, it has been a few weeks, but have been busy. Picked up the 5th wheel and now own a '14 F450 to boot. Getting ready for our shakedown cruise on Monday and noticed this morning that the fiver looked nose low. Went into the leveling system and indeed it was. Re-leveled and now wondering where to look for the problem. I did find a brand new LCI leveling interface in one of the drawers, so am wondering if that alone controls the leveling of the fiver and holds it at that position when showing level. The previous owner had this sent from LCI. Any help you could throw my way would be most helpful. It is a simple remove the face plate and 4 screws and detach the plug in the back of the unit. Just want to make sure that this will fix the situation.

Other than that, have been busy fixing loose doors, drawers and making adjustments here and there, which is all part of the RV fun!
Here are a few photos now that we are home.

2014 MS Estates 39RESB3

2014 Ford F450
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180503_155244.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	10235   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_094747.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	10236  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_161314.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	10237  

Old 05-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #2

THOR #5499
Still having problems with those photos uploading correctly! Grrrrrrr!
Old 05-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #3

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
That's how our trailer started out, it would "drift" down a bit and I would re-level it. My issue got progressively worse though. I can't speak for your issue and I don't want to alarm you but it may not be as simple as an interface switch. I HOPE that I'm wrong. I posted my issue a couple of years ago, it got worse and ended up with a trip to Indiana to see the folks at LCI for replacement of the front jacks.

Are your front jacks sheathed in steel tubes? If so there may be your problem. The seals on my front jacks were faulty and ultimately LCI replaced both front jacks.

Good Luck, I REALLY hope your issue isn't as serious as mine was (NO more troubles since replacement).

Dan
Old 05-14-2018, 01:40 AM   #4

THOR #5499
Dan, these are the solid tubes. LCI changed them a few years back. What year was your rig? I know the '05 had what you are referring too. This is on a 2014. Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-14-2018, 03:30 AM   #5

THOR #3221
We have a '15 38RSSA. Summer of 2016 we took it to LCI for the switch out.

Do your front jacks look like this?
[IMG][/IMG]

After the switch to the new more robust front jacks ours look like this.....
[IMG][/IMG]

The new style cylinders are much bigger in diameter and the weight rating on them is far more than the original equipment according to LCI.

Dan
Old 05-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #6

THOR #5499
Dan, ours look like your original ones, but larger in dia. They certainly don't show the bolts and flanges. Thanks for your input and photos!
I am going to zero it out today if possible. Right now, we have reservations for a Florida State Park and it is pouring down rain here! Ugh!
Old 05-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #7

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicesqueezer View Post
Dan, ours look like your original ones, but larger in dia. They certainly don't show the bolts and flanges. Thanks for your input and photos!
I am going to zero it out today if possible. Right now, we have reservations for a Florida State Park and it is pouring down rain here! Ugh!
How about a picture of your jacks?

Using an iphone for your pictures?

Do a slight edit and then save the edit, that should correct the rotation.

Or, don't take vertical pictures (portrait)

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #8

THOR #3221
Juice, your welcome. I hope recalibrating your system will solve your issue. For us it was on going and progressively got worse. We got to the point where we couldn't keep the trailer level even if parked for just a day or so.

Eventually we began to experience the front jacks dropping a few inches during transit. They never dropped more than 4 or 5 inches but still was a concern as we didn't want them contacting the ground while driving down the road. We ended up stopping about every hour or so just to check to see where the jacks were at.

It was a nightmare until we had them replaced. NOTHING worse than having to raise the trailer back up to level at 3:00 am!

Dan
Old 05-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #9

THOR #9431
LevelUp was designed around the DRV's.
I'm kind of surprised so many of them have had problems where other manufacturers have not.

I had LevelUp[ installed on our current trailer in August 2010 and have the sleeved legs shown on many of the DRV's with problems.

Aside from the tubes looking a bit ratty from scraping and now rusting I haven't had any real problems other then minor leaks.

I even bent a center jack once and straightened it out and have no problems with that jack.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Old 05-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #10

THOR #5499
Appreciate all the input. Right now, it is heavy rains here in South Florida. Not good, as we planned to leave around 1 for a Florida State Park.
I did contact LCI this morning. They suggested to bring the fifth wheel to a local dealer and have a pressure test done on the system.
Will try and take some photos later of the jacks.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #11

THOR #3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthole View Post
LevelUp was designed around the DRV's.
I'm kind of surprised so many of them have had problems where other manufacturers have not.

I had LevelUp[ installed on our current trailer in August 2010 and have the sleeved legs shown on many of the DRV's with problems.

Aside from the tubes looking a bit ratty from scraping and now rusting I haven't had any real problems other then minor leaks.

I even bent a center jack once and straightened it out and have no problems with that jack.
You're very fortunate to not have had any troubles with your system. I talked with a gentleman last summer with a 2012 DRV and he said the same as you, he's had NO trouble at all! I'm not sure why so many people are having or had troubles with their jacks like us but I will say when I spoke with Bob from Roberts Quality RV Repair he told me had been repairing a LOT of DRVs, one after another. All with similar/same problems. I'm glad you had positive experiences!

Dan
Old 05-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #3109
juicesqueezer,
Several times when setting up, the fiver is slightly nose-low---I just raise it manually.
In several problem posts, it was mentioned to hold the retract buttons for a few seconds after you hear the change in sound when the jacks are up and top out--have been doing this after each time hitching up and seems to be working. So far, a front leg has dropped 3 times while stopped and still hitched up--hasn't happened since I began holding the retract button for extra 2-3 seconds.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #13

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Whether it made a difference or not, but in that 2012-2014 time frame Thor bought out DRV, along with every other struggling rv manufacturer making them the largest manufacturer of rvs in the country.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:34 PM   #14

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Welcome, congrats on the new equipment.
Quote:
Any help you could throw my way would be most helpful. Just want to make sure that this will fix the situation?
2014 MS Estates 39RESB3 2014 Ford F450
Anything is possible, but not to create a version of fear factor here.
More than likely the problem will not correct itself.
Quote:
I did contact LCI this morning. They suggested to bring the fifth wheel to a local dealer and have a pressure test done on the system.
Will try and take some photos later of the jacks.
This is probably sound advise. The hydraulic leveling system can be difficult (slightly messy) to troubleshoot even with moderate technical skills. The combination of lines manifolds, solenoids, seals etc. can be tedious especially without a complete schematic and sequence of proper operation, and yes pressure analysis. I'd venture a guess that the issue(s) are indeed in the hydraulic circuit(s) vs. the electric / electronic control side of the system. Similar to dapperdan's experience we've been inconvenienced by this system malfunction also. Try to schedule it were there are ample resources as apposed to a remote situation. A complete failure renders the trailer very difficult to manage.
Best of luck.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #15

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Whether it made a difference or not, but in that 2012-2014 time frame Thor bought out DRV, along with every other struggling rv manufacturer making them the largest manufacturer of rvs in the country.
NOT true!!! Thor bought DRV 1/2015, actually while we were driving from NW WA to OK on 1/1/15 to order our DRV.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:39 PM   #16

THOR #3221
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You're exactly right Ron, I remember reading all the hub bub on the forums about how the quality will be going downhill since Thor takes over. I thought to myself, glad we bought ours before the change. And then "things" began to surface on our unit..... Pretty much dispelling that mind set.

I think quality control was already slipping at DRV BEFORE Thor stepped in! Just MHO tho.

Dan
Old 05-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #17

THOR #5499
Update

Well, I have finally solved the LCI issues with the front jacks leaking down overnight. When I finally got the truck over to the 5th wheel to raise the jacks, I found the ATF lower than normal. Added fluid and behold, a working nonleaking jack system. I called the factory and the tech stated to keep the fluid level when retracted to within a 1/4 inch from the top of the reservoir.
Took the rig to Johnathan Dickinson State Park for a 4-day shakedown and all systems worked.
I am not happy with La Mesa RV for sending this unit out with levels not topped off. Also, still dealing with the 4 batteries that were bone dry and will not hold a charge now. La Mesa was to call last Friday on a decision of batteries and still have not heard anything from them. Out of sight, out of mind!
Old 05-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #18

THOR #9431
The manual says 1/4” - 1/2” below the fill spout.
When I kept mine that high it tended to leak past the push in plug.

I keep mine about 1” - 1 1/2” below.
With all your jacks and slides fully extended, if you still have an inch or more of fluid, that is probably not your problem.

On my tank I have a sharpie mark that represents a full tank with all the slides out and the trailer leveled with the jacks.

Easier to check that way.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Old 05-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #19

THOR #3221
I like that idea. It would make checking much easier.

The first time our trailer started dropping on us I called Lippert and the tech suggested checking the fluid level. Sure enough we were a bit low. He told me to run the jacks and slides up and down and in and out (with the truck under it obviously) to "burp" the system. I did that and all was good. About 14 months later our troubles began, first thing I did was check the fluid level. Fluid was "ok" and that's when the real "fun" started.

Dan
Old 05-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #20

THOR #3221
Quote:
Well, I have finally solved the LCI issues with the front jacks leaking down overnight. When I finally got the truck over to the 5th wheel to raise the jacks, I found the ATF lower than normal. Added fluid and behold, a working nonleaking jack system. I called the factory and the tech stated to keep the fluid level when retracted to within a 1/4 inch from the top of the reservoir.
Took the rig to Johnathan Dickinson State Park for a 4-day shakedown and all systems worked.
I am not happy with La Mesa RV for sending this unit out with levels not topped off. Also, still dealing with the 4 batteries that were bone dry and will not hold a charge now. La Mesa was to call last Friday on a decision of batteries and still have not heard anything from them. Out of sight, out of mind!
Shame on your dealer for NOT properly checking your trailer thoroughly before he cut you loose with it. IMHO your batteries are toast, it'll be interesting to see if he steps up to the plate for ya and gives ya new batteries.

Sorry to hear your experience with those guys was less than desirable. Hopefully better days are ahead of you.

Dan