Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Pull your lights & vent covers

Saw this on Facebook and wanted to pass this along.
I pulled a light and low and behold there was a hole drilled into my supply duct. I would guess that they used a hole saw for the light cut outs and they did not bother taping up the hole.

Also when you pull the vent covers off, feel high and low for any gaps or where it may not be sealed up.

Also feel inside the duct, as you might find what I found....

Hopefully when I finish sealing up all of the leaks, the A/C system will be even be even more efficient.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:52 AM   #2

Model: 38RSSA
State: Ontario
THOR #5001
Good information. Thanks for this.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:01 AM   #3

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
I went thru every one of mine to seal and make openings better, used lots of silver tape.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I can see daylight in many places in my MH like next to the door, beneath the slide, under the bench seats along the outside wall, along the edge in the storage compartments. They didn't seal major joints so it would be no surprise to find they didn't worry about sealing A/C ducts. I'm slowly getting them sealed up using Flex Seal but it's an as time permits project for me.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #5

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I went thru every one of mine to seal and make openings better, used lots of silver tape.
I am using a lot of silver tape also... ��
Old 08-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #6

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Is that actually the supply duct for the AC. Looks like just insulation, especially under a light fixture.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #7

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
That is actually the duct work. DRV uses rock wool insulation so it would not be silver.
What bothers me is how did the hole happen? All of the ceiling panels are pre-drilled and attached to the truss before ever making it to the unit. Ceiling is installed from the top then duct work, wiring and misc are installed then insulation, plywood, then roofing.
I'm planning a trip back east in Sept and going to stop for a tour again and will look to see if the process has changed for some reason.
Would not make sense to try and free hand all of the holes later, but I have been surprised before.
I do know that the fit & finish between the duct work and ceiling vents is lacking.
OP said he found this on face book and re-posted it here. Is this actually a DRV ceiling? Color seems off to me unless inhabited by a heavy smoker?

Bill
Old 08-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #8

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
Is that actually the supply duct for the AC. Looks like just insulation, especially under a light fixture.
Yes it is. If you look at the last pic I posted, that is what the ducts are made of.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:31 AM   #9

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
That is actually the duct work. DRV uses rock wool insulation so it would not be silver.
What bothers me is how did the hole happen? All of the ceiling panels are pre-drilled and attached to the truss before ever making it to the unit. Ceiling is installed from the top then duct work, wiring and misc are installed then insulation, plywood, then roofing.
I'm planning a trip back east in Sept and going to stop for a tour again and will look to see if the process has changed for some reason.
Would not make sense to try and free hand all of the holes later, but I have been surprised before.
I do know that the fit & finish between the duct work and ceiling vents is lacking.
OP said he found this on face book and re-posted it here. Is this actually a DRV ceiling? Color seems off to me unless inhabited by a heavy smoker?

Bill
I heard about it on Facebook. I then started pulling the lights down. And just as stated if there was a duct above the light, it had a hole in it. The pictures are of my 16 38 RSB3. No, my unit has never been smoked in unless someone that has done warranty work did. Maybe the lack of light makes it look different?
I then pulled the supply vents and saw that they were not sealed and posted that on Facebook for people also to look into.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #10

Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #88
rynosback, good info for people to follow. I did this when we first bought our unit and if I remember correctly the three lights I found with the holes drilled in the duct work were in the bedroom/hall area. My guess is it depends on your floor plan as to how the duct work is run through the trailer. When I had the lights hanging out taping the hole in the duct I also used the silver tape to cover the three square holes in the light fixture. I could feel cold air coming out of those when I pulled the lens with the AC on.

I also had several AC vents that needed tape to seal the gap between the ceiling and the duct. I have had to do this on every RV we have owned.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #11

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11 View Post
rynosback, good info for people to follow. I did this when we first bought our unit and if I remember correctly the three lights I found with the holes drilled in the duct work were in the bedroom/hall area. My guess is it depends on your floor plan as to how the duct work is run through the trailer. When I had the lights hanging out taping the hole in the duct I also used the silver tape to cover the three square holes in the light fixture. I could feel cold air coming out of those when I pulled the lens with the AC on.

I also had several AC vents that needed tape to seal the gap between the ceiling and the duct. I have had to do this on every RV we have owned.
You are correct, the only ones I found with drilled holes were in the bedroom. But the two lights straddling the light fixture over the kitchen sink is drilled with wires coming out of the. So somewhere in the duct system there is a bigger hole with all of the wires coming into the duct. Why they would run wires in the duct is beyond me.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #12

Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #88
Those two lights on ours just have insulation above them.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote