Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2016, 11:14 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
We are scheduled to be at MorRyde on the 18th and DRV the 23rd for that whole week.

I will be questioning them on this CAP ISSUE! Keep us informed. can you post a pic of what is happening?
We will be at DRV in early April and THAT is on my list to bring up to Mr. Ed Fry. After reading this thread I looked at my lower cap when we were setting up here in Carabelle FL this week and mine "looks" like it's starting to crack ever so slightly. I'll have the experts at DRV access the situation and go from there.

Dan

Old 03-11-2016, 05:41 AM   #22

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
It is nothing like Jburgs. It seemed to be worse when I was connected to the TV. Not sure why that would make a difference, but it seems to. I will take a few pics when it stops raining. I think I'm scheduled for mid July. The new service center might be open around then.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #23

State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
It is nothing like Jburgs. It seemed to be worse when I was connected to the TV. Not sure why that would make a difference, but it seems to. I will take a few pics when it stops raining. I think I'm scheduled for mid July. The new service center might be open around then.
Yeah so far our lower cap looks like it just has a "slight" crack in the paint at that seam. I'll have to pay attention to that seam when we're hooked up, I only noticed it after I had dropped the trailer. I am going to bring that up to Ed anyway though.

We'll be at DRV in just a little over 3 weeks, I'll give you an update as to the building progress. It's going up faster than I thought it would but that's great!

Dan
Old 03-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #24

State: Georgia
THOR #1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Check the frame welds at the frame extension for the fifth wheel where it meets the frame at the front of the basement. Our fivers get a LOT of stress at this point going down the road and sometimes the welds will crack. Not saying yours has but Lippert has had problems like this in the past.

You will get some frame flex even with a very good frame but it shouldn't be too much and definitely not enough to crack the joint at the bottom cap. That is one of the reasons I use an air ride hitch on my truck. The older trailer had an air ride pinbox (Trail Air) that helped with the hard jolts that you get going down the road.

Our roads in this country are so smooth and without holes that this shouldn't be an issue though. (sarcasm is dripping from that last sentence)
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:04 AM   #25

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
Check the frame welds at the frame extension for the fifth wheel where it meets the frame at the front of the basement. Our fivers get a LOT of stress at this point going down the road and sometimes the welds will crack. Not saying yours has but Lippert has had problems like this in the past.

You will get some frame flex even with a very good frame but it shouldn't be too much and definitely not enough to crack the joint at the bottom cap. That is one of the reasons I use an air ride hitch on my truck. The older trailer had an air ride pinbox (Trail Air) that helped with the hard jolts that you get going down the road.

Our roads in this country are so smooth and without holes that this shouldn't be an issue though. (sarcasm is dripping from that last sentence)

Will do, thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #26

Model: 41RSSB4
State: Wyoming
THOR #2094
The stronger frames are one of the reasons we went with DRV, for the exact reason of not having to worry about as much flex resulting in broken fiberglass panels, etcetera.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:58 PM   #27

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
The stronger frames are one of the reasons we went with DRV, for the exact reason of not having to worry about as much flex resulting in broken fiberglass panels, etcetera.
I agree, I choose the fully boxed frame over the I beam frame.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:49 AM   #28

THOR #2094
Sunshine called earlier today. The cap is in and they are getting us in tomorrow to install it. Hopefully they can get it done in one day so we don't need to camp out at the dealership all weekend. Then paint on Monday. I'm going to try to get them to take pictures for comparison purposes, but I can't make any promises. Perhaps I can figure out a way to take them myself. Hmmm...
Old 03-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #29

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
YES please do!!!
Old 03-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #30

THOR #2094
Quick update-

The dealership was still unpacking the shipping crate when I dropped the rig off, so I hung around a bit to check it out. There really isn't any kind of lip on the cap. It's simply straight and that's it. Kinda surprised me to see.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:55 AM   #31

THOR #2094
The cap is designed in such a way that the crews going all-around that seam are supposed to be going through the cap, which is what holds it up, hence no need for any kind of lip. On my cap, there were no screws on either side where is had popped out, only along the vertical sections and the front where it connects with the front cap.

I did get pictures, but I'm having a difficult time uploading them right now. I'll try again in a bit.

The rig is at paint right now and will hopefully be done soon.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:04 AM   #32

THOR #1658
Quote:
The cap is designed in such a way that the crews going all-around that seam are supposed to be going through the cap, which is what holds it up, hence no need for any kind of lip. On my cap, there were no screws on either side where is had popped out, only along the vertical sections and the front where it connects with the front cap.

I did get pictures, but I'm having a difficult time uploading them right now. I'll try again in a bit.

The rig is at paint right now and will hopefully be done soon.
I post pics one the web on another forum that I am on and then link the photo on here. I think it is the only way it can be done. I think you can also add photos through the add attachments but then I think you need to turn them on through the management part of it.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:45 PM   #33

THOR #1661
I easily take photos off my computer using RV.net photo posting. I use it on all sites I frequent. Exception the TDR has a very quick setup that takes pics right from computer.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #34

THOR #2094
The rig is all done and we just finished pulling it from Havasu to Sedona. Zero evidence of the lower cap slipping down like it had before. The paint shop did a fantastic job matching the paint too!

One thing I did ask the mechanic to do was to put as much insulation in the front cap as possible while he had the lower cap off. It seemed like there wasn't much insulation up there as the closet was always super hot or super cold. From what he showed me they were able to shove quite a bit up there. Something to consider if your rig has the same issue.

2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab Longbed. Cummins, Aisin, 4.10
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:17 AM   #35

THOR #1658
Quote:
The rig is all done and we just finished pulling it from Havasu to Sedona. Zero evidence of the lower cap slipping down like it had before. The paint shop did a fantastic job matching the paint too!

One thing I did ask the mechanic to do was to put as much insulation in the front cap as possible while he had the lower cap off. It seemed like there wasn't much insulation up there as the closet was always super hot or super cold. From what he showed me they were able to shove quite a bit up there. Something to consider if your rig has the same issue.
Ours is super hot and cold also. I even see day light coming into the closet. So glad that it went so well for you.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #36

THOR #1661
They put the same insulation in the front as the side walls. If you are keeping the closet doors closed the closet will take on what ever the outside temp is.