Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: PS3 Elite
State: Minnesota
THOR #3564
Magnum settings?

I killed the four six volt batteries that came with my fiver. I have ordered 4 Lifeline 6 volt AGMs as replacements. I think this will fix the problem of my front jacks not lifting when boondocking since they work fine after being plugged in at home.
I'm unsure of how to set the Magnum to properly bulk, absorb, and float charge. I'd also like to know when I should have the generator auto start and how long that should run to get me back to 90%. I use a Yamaha 2k to float charge when boondocking to save on fuel. I have the 2800 watt inverter and a 5500 Onan genset. Since I'm using 6 volt batteries, I'm concerned about overcharging by stupidly using a 12 volt profile. Any experts out there or at least someone that stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently?

Old 06-29-2017, 01:05 PM   #2

Model: 38RSSA
State: Ontario
THOR #5001
I have 2 6volts batteries and use the magnum to maintain them. When the trailer was delivered however, both the Magnum and the converter were set to charge them. I unplugged the converter and now only use the Magnum. I don't think that I can change my settings based on the type of battery.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:01 AM   #3

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Your system is still 12VDC. W/ 4ea. batteries two are wired in series to a nominal 12V, then the 2 strings are connected in parallel, still 12V.
AGM Batteries can be charged at 20% of the C-20 Hour Rating.
When the voltage during Bulk Mode rises to 14.4 Volts and the Charger transitions from Bulk Mode to Absorb Mode then your AGM batteries are near 80% SOC, not 100% SOC. Absorb Mode charges the final 20% SOC ( 100% SOC when below < 1% Amps )
Bulk Mode for your AGM should be a much shorter time, at a much higher amps rate vs Flooded
Absorb Mode for your AGM is a much longer time, from (14.4v) 80% to 100% SOC vs the Flooded from (14.8v) 90% to 100% SOC.
Absorb Mode for an AGM is about twice as long, as Absorb Mode for a Flooded.
The Charging Profiles are similar, but they are not identical.
If you expect the Total Charging Time for AGM and Flooded to be the same then you must speed up Bulk Mode for your AGM,
because AGM Absorb Mode is much longer than Flooded.

You will want to insure that the remote temperature probe is installed on the batteries. AGM's despite their being maintenance free, and resistant to spillage are easily damaged by excessive heat or over charging in hot conditions (>85F). The temp probe on the magnum Inverter throttles back the charging output in bulk, absorb modes. ) AGM 1 (for Lifeline AGM batteries)
Your generator run times will vary with DoD so for bulk the small generator may not have enough output.
Some would argue that 50% SoC might be approx. 12.2V
Even resting voltages are not very accurate, true wattage is a better measure of capacity for automation.
90% SoC could take anywhere from 2-6 hrs depending on ambient temp. (cooler shorter) in 100+ heat could take longer.

http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sit...ev-D-ME-RC.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	series parallel.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	5559   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery type.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	5560  

DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:02 AM   #4

Model: 40KSSB4
State: California
THOR #5723
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostRetired View Post
I killed the four six volt batteries that came with my fiver. I have ordered 4 Lifeline 6 volt AGMs as replacements. I think this will fix the problem of my front jacks not lifting when boondocking since they work fine after being plugged in at home.
I'm unsure of how to set the Magnum to properly bulk, absorb, and float charge. I'd also like to know when I should have the generator auto start and how long that should run to get me back to 90%. I use a Yamaha 2k to float charge when boondocking to save on fuel. I have the 2800 watt inverter and a 5500 Onan genset. Since I'm using 6 volt batteries, I'm concerned about overcharging by stupidly using a 12 volt profile. Any experts out there or at least someone that stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently?
Which remote do you have for the Magnum? The advanced or the basic? It makes a difference. The Magnum manual for the remote is very straight forward and can walk you through what you need to do. The manuals are readily available in PDF format on line if you don't have yours. Magnum sets their AGM1 charging profile to the Lifeline recommended profile (typically). I would still look up your battery's spec sheet and confirm the charge profile for AGM1 matches, just in case. If you have the advanced remote, you can set up your AGS to come on based on a specified state of charge of your batteries (my personal preference). You also need to set up the correct amp hours for your new bank through the remote. None of it is hard to do, but it can be a little tedious. I have all my advanced remote settings in a word document if you are interested, but some of my settings won't be applicable to you because I have Fullriver batteries and a larger overall bank of them. The Fullriver's required me to set up a custom charge profile to match the Fullriver spec sheet because neither the AGM1 nor the AGM2 generic charge profiles provided by Magnum exactly matched. I have installed a number of Magnum inverter systems and am happy to help any way I can.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #5

Model: PS3 Elite
State: Minnesota
THOR #3564
Mtntrek and Heiser252: Bless you both! I think I'm beginning to get enough confidence and knowledge to believe I can do this correctly. The batteries will be installed on Jul 5 and I'll program the Magnum then. I'll repost if there's something I can't understand. I came from a big family and I still remember my father telling me I was the lowest common denominator!
Oh, Heiser252 I have the advanced controller as pictured in mtntrek's reply.
2013 HD Ultra Limited
AlmostRetired is offline   Reply With Quote