Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #5803
Mobile Suites vs Elite Suites

My wife & I are looking to buy a new DRV 5th wheel. It will be either a Mobile or Elite Suites.

I would like to know what the basic differences are and if the expected higher sticker price for the Elite is worth the $$$.

I have heard that the Elite has a better roof and all the options available for the Mobile Suites. Is the better roof really worth it?

Some of our full time camping will be in colder climates. Is either model better suited for cold weather?

My purchase time frame is early 2017, so I am hopeful to get a new 2017 model.

David

Old 10-26-2016, 10:35 PM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #88
As far as the construction goes between the two I believe they are built identical (same frame, insulation, running gear, etc). As far as the roof it would be that the ES has the fiberglass roof and the MS the rubber roof but you can get the fiberglass roof on the MS. Most anything the ES has can be an upgrade on the MS. The ES is heavier and more expensive. For us it was not worth the extra money of the ES over the MS in the floor plan we wanted. I think it all boils down to personal preference.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:08 AM   #3

Model: 38RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #3539
From what I can determine the frame is identical between the two series. My 2016 38 RSB3 frame is labelled Estate Suites. Mine has the IS, same as the Elite Suites would. With this is mind, it should have the same GVWR as the Elite or Estate Suites version. However, it is tagged as 19,000lbs. The Elite version is rated at 22,000lbs. I think the difference is pure marketing.

The Mor/ryde pinbox only has 5 bolts giving it a rating of 20,000lbs but with a 6th bolt the rating is 24,000lbs. If I were to install the 6th bolt then I should be able to carry the same max weight as the Elite Suites version. Still within my trucks tow rating. Actually giving me 3,000 lbs more cargo carrying capacity for a total of 6,500lbs. Of course there could be a liability issue if I was to have an accident and the insurance company determined that my unit was overloaded per the sticker.

So to answer your question, other than getting the increased GVWR on the sticker, I would save some money and go with the Mobile Suites version.
Lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:44 AM   #4

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostshakerofsalt View Post
My 2016 38 RSB3 frame is labelled Estate Suites. Mine has the IS, same as the Elite Suites would.
The Mobile Suites in my signature has MorRyde IS, as I believe all of the current Mobile and Elite Suites do. It's standard equipment.

The Estate Suites was just a line of Mobile Suites with more modern interiors. Typically, where my Mobile Suites has honey cherry cabinetry, the Estate Suites cabinetry was whitewashed or pickled. Apparently they weren't that popular as I understand they've been discontinued.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:48 AM   #5

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
We had full intentions to get the ES but we have what I call a "Highly Elited" Mobile Suites.

Fiberglass roof was advised against at the time of our order. But we have the Elite Millwork, carpet, vinyl and MANY other ES items including the Cinder Ridge full body cut n buff paint job. Saved big bucks. We thought some of the ES items were Gaudy! Like the island light assembly and the front of the island and so on. Nice to pick and choose. Not sure how much they will allow anymore!!!
Old 10-27-2016, 01:49 AM   #6

Model: 36RSSB3
THOR #3648
When I order my Mobile Suites I added a some options that are on the Elite Suites. When you order it the will add/subtract anything you want for $$. For us it wasn't worth the extra money for the Elite. I went with the rubber roof as it can be easily repaired if need and they will last for something like 20 years, I never had one that I had to repair. If you have a good dealer they will help you with the options,not just give you a build sheet and have you pick what's on the list. It take calls them a lot of calls to DRV to get prices, it took my dealer almost 2 months working with me to make the deal without trying to pressure me.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:53 AM   #7

THOR #1661
Go to RollingRetreats web site and you can see what we ended up with. I would HIGHLY advise contacting Alicia at Rolling Retreats and work with her to come up with a RV and order. GREAT lady she knows her business.

Look this up.

2016 Mobile Suites 39TKSB3
Custom Kitchen, Multiple Custom Changes & Elite Paint Scheme
OOOH LA LA!! Turned out Gorgeous!!
Old 10-27-2016, 06:54 AM   #8

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Go to RollingRetreats web site and you can see what we ended up with. I would HIGHLY advise contacting Alicia at Rolling Retreats and work with her to come up with a RV and order. GREAT lady she knows her business.

Look this up.

2016 Mobile Suites 39TKSB3
Custom Kitchen, Multiple Custom Changes & Elite Paint Scheme
OOOH LA LA!! Turned out Gorgeous!!
Alicia knows her stuff about DRV. My kitchen is even named after her. I spent a year reading and researching about MS so I could have exactly what I wanted. There are a ton of small things that can make a difference that do not cost a lot of money. I have a lot of upgrades in my MS that the Elite has. I think there are only a few things you can not get. Off the top of my head you can not get the molded fiberglass fender flares. One of the best options I did was the Elite shower with rain glass. I like the looks of the grey speckled shower over the off white/cream one standard on the MS. The GREAT thing about MS is that you can do a lot of customs. I think I had 3 pages of them on my order.

Feel free to PM me or post if you have any specific questions.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:51 AM   #9

THOR #1661
Rain glass is very nice EXCEPT they install the textured surface to the inside of the shower. We asked for it to be installed correctly but no go! Heck even BigHorn's have the texture to the outside.

Another issue is the glass is stacked towards the rear of the RV when locked in place for storage.

So when I became "My Own Warranty Station" I completely removed the shower and cleaned up the shoddy job of caulking they did and re installed correctly. Now the texture is outside and the doors lock in place towards the front of the RV as it should have from the factory!
Old 10-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #5807
Quote:
Originally Posted by David & Diane View Post
My wife & I are looking to buy a new DRV 5th wheel. It will be either a Mobile or Elite Suites.

I would like to know what the basic differences are and if the expected higher sticker price for the Elite is worth the $$$.

I have heard that the Elite has a better roof and all the options available for the Mobile Suites. Is the better roof really worth it?

Some of our full time camping will be in colder climates. Is either model better suited for cold weather?

My purchase time frame is early 2017, so I am hopeful to get a new 2017 model.

David

Going through the same process. Because we don't need the 'bling', we decided on MS and upgrade to only those features we like in the ES. While the Elite Suite Cabinets have more detail, they are outsourced and therefore only carry a 1-year warranty. Something to think about.

Also going with rubber roof. Never had an issue with rubber roof in the past. Easy to repair (if needed)...much longer warranty.

Cold weather concern: Both models are insulated the same and you should see no difference between the two. If you planning on really cold camping, might want to consider the Canadian package. It comes with two furnaces instead of just one. May be some other items as well, but not planning on that type of travel destinations, I didn't look into any further.

Also going with the Alicia Kitchen.

FYI...I confirmed with Kyle Adams (DRV Central Region Sales Manager) that the 2017 40KSSB4 we are ordering will come with 9K pound axles...standard. My understanding is the brake pad size is the same, but the caliper has a larger piston. I know nothing about the hubs/bearings on the 9K axle.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:03 PM   #11

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsb1993 View Post
Going through the same process. Because we don't need the 'bling', we decided on MS and upgrade to only those features we like in the ES. While the Elite Suite Cabinets have more detail, they are outsourced and therefore only carry a 1-year warranty. Something to think about.

Also going with rubber roof. Never had an issue with rubber roof in the past. Easy to repair (if needed)...much longer warranty.

Cold weather concern: Both models are insulated the same and you should see no difference between the two. If you planning on really cold camping, might want to consider the Canadian package. It comes with two furnaces instead of just one. May be some other items as well, but not planning on that type of travel destinations, I didn't look into any further.

Also going with the Alicia Kitchen.

FYI...I confirmed with Kyle Adams (DRV Central Region Sales Manager) that the 2017 40KSSB4 we are ordering will come with 9K pound axles...standard. My understanding is the brake pad size is the same, but the caliper has a larger piston. I know nothing about the hubs/bearings on the 9K axle.
Sad but true! The pads are the same 9 and 8K. Basic framework is the same. The spindle, rotor, bearings and caliper are larger. I have at least 17,500# sitting on my 8K IS axles and it is within MORryde's specs so I did not change. If they had some REAL pads I may have.

As far as cabinets are you saying the MS cabinets have longer than one year?

As far as outsourced they are all outsourced. DRV just puts the pcs together and installs them.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #12

THOR #5807
Quote:
Sad but true! The pads are the same 9 and 8K. Basic framework is the same. The spindle, rotor, bearings and caliper are larger. I have at least 17,500# sitting on my 8K IS axles and it is within MORryde's specs so I did not change. If they had some REAL pads I may have.

As far as cabinets are you saying the MS cabinets have longer than one year?

As far as outsourced they are all outsourced. DRV just puts the pcs together and installs them.
Yes, per Alicia at RR. She specifically told me the MS cabinets are built in house and carry the DRV three year warranty and the ES cabinets are out sourced and only carry a one year. Is this something I should bring up with Kyle Adams and get clarification?
Old 10-27-2016, 07:09 PM   #13

Model: 38RSSA
THOR #1667
We went with the Elite Suites after looking at the options that we wanted and the cost between the two units. The only downgrade that we made between them was to the countertops as I went from Quartz to Corian to save weight.

Would MUCH rather have a fiberglass roof. Your 20 year warranty doesn't mean squat when a stray limb catches the rubber and rips your pretty roof a new one. Repairs to the roof due to damage by foreign objects are on your nickel and are a lot more common than any other roof repair.
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:48 PM   #14

THOR #5807
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
We went with the Elite Suites after looking at the options that we wanted and the cost between the two units. The only downgrade that we made between them was to the countertops as I went from Quartz to Corian to save weight.

Would MUCH rather have a fiberglass roof. Your 20 year warranty doesn't mean squat when a stray limb catches the rubber and rips your pretty roof a new one. Repairs to the roof due to damage by foreign objects are on your nickel and are a lot more common than any other roof repair.
Are you telling me that damage to the fiberglass roof caused by a foreign object (hail, falling tree branches, golf ball, etc) are covered under warranty?? Serious question..not trying to be flippant. Tone is so hard to convey in text.

We all make decisions based on our personal experience. I've been towing RV's for 20 years...all with rubber roofs, I've never had a foreign object tear the roof. That includes getting into some pretty back-woods hunting sites. Lucky? Maybe...but that's all I know.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:54 PM   #15

THOR #5807
"We went with the Elite Suites after looking at the options that we wanted and the cost between the two units. The only downgrade that we made between them was to the countertops as I went from Quartz to Corian to save weight."

GeorgiaHybrid makes a very good point.

Take the time to price out a MS with all the options/specials the way you want it. Then, price out an ES with all the options/specials the way you want it. Any dealer should be more than happy to walk you through both builds.

Then, see what fits your fancy and your budget! Remember, the customizing is half the fun!
Old 10-28-2016, 03:43 AM   #16

THOR #1667
Quote:
Are you telling me that damage to the fiberglass roof caused by a foreign object (hail, falling tree branches, golf ball, etc) are covered under warranty?? Serious question..not trying to be flippant. Tone is so hard to convey in text.

We all make decisions based on our personal experience. I've been towing RV's for 20 years...all with rubber roofs, I've never had a foreign object tear the roof. That includes getting into some pretty back-woods hunting sites. Lucky? Maybe...but that's all I know.
I have taken trailers into a lot of back areas also but not a trailer over 13' high. On back roads that rarely see any big trucks, the trees will grow low hanging branches that will then get broken off and leave a VERY jagged edge. That is what will tear a rubber roof and skate across a fiberglass roof.

And yes, I have had a few buddies that had theirs repaired. easy to do with a EDPM roof as the patch just glues on but the tear is usually found after a rain which means other damage to be fixed on the trailer.

Each to his own but like the post above this one states, price out both and see where you are. In our case, the MS priced out more than the ES with everything we wanted added to it.
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #17

THOR #1661
Quote:
Yes, per Alicia at RR. She specifically told me the MS cabinets are built in house and carry the DRV three year warranty and the ES cabinets are out sourced and only carry a one year. Is this something I should bring up with Kyle Adams and get clarification?
Interesting!
Old 10-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #18

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post

I am curious, you chose Corian and pulling with a Kenworth?

I had Corian on the last two RV's and now have Quartz. I would never go back to Corian!!!
Old 10-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #19

Model: 41RSSB4
State: Wyoming
THOR #2094
As far as the cabinets are concerned I'd recommend getting the elite option if they aren't ridiculously expensive. We didn't opt for them as at the time I thought the only difference was that they were a bit flashier. Turns out on the MS cabinets, they were made in a manner that reduces fabrication time. None of the corners are cut like they should be at a 45 degree angle. They simply router straight across the wood, so now each corner doesn't match the rest of the cabinet and has a rough texture to it. Very annoying. Like I said, I'm pretty sure the ES doesn't do this, but you might want to double check.

2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab Longbed. Cummins, Aisin, 4.10
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:00 PM   #20

THOR #1667
Quote:
I am curious, you chose Corian and pulling with a Kenworth?

I had Corian on the last two RV's and now have Quartz. I would never go back to Corian!!!
Corian was put in for weight savings. Not on the pin weight but those 8K axles are over on the kitchen side.